Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandmail

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
Do you guys have server racks at home. when yes, tel me more about it. For what kind of things are you use the servers and maybe some pictures of it?

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I have an APC half rack in my basement. I picked it up used off eBay and drove about an hour to pick it up. I have a 2 NAS servers, switches (I wired basement and parts of main floor for network), my Plex server, KVM, and an old Time Capsule that I keep on a shelf. I pulled off the bottom of the TC, put it upside down, put a 6TB drive in it and stuck a big heatsink I pulled from a server on the drive because it runs hot without it.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I had an actual XServe rackmount YEARS ago, well I still have it but it hasn't been used in almost a decade.

For home I use an UnRaid server, it gives tons of functionality, think of it similar to Synology but more for the DIY space. Fairly small form factor case that can still hold 8-9 HDD's, etc. I just don't use Mac servers because they offer very anemic service for what I want but used to exclusively use it until about year 2 of Apple stripping the server app down to essentially nothing.
UnRaid is my Plex server, Time Machines for the Macs in the home, Windows backups for the Windows machines in the house, photo storage, various VM's to mess around with different OS's, my Homebridge server to run all the various homelink and non-homelink items in Homelink, Home Assistant, PiHole.

At the office I use 2 - TrueNAS in a rackmount, Windows server rack, a Mac Mini in a rack for one program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.