Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Regardless of which camera or lenses you have, you can't take that great shot if you don't have your camera with you. I have a looong commute (90min each way) but much of it on beautiful country roads. I bring a point & shoot with me every day. But sometimes I really wish I had a full frame DSLR for those great early morn. and early eve. moments.

Not sure I'm comfortable with bringing expensive and somewhat bulky gear with me everyday... leave it in the car? bring it into the office? how to secure it?

How do you safely keep your camera with you?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just don't. I use those times when I see a great shot and have no camera as food for thought. I imagine what I would do. I stop and ponder it, frame it mentally. And if it's a location I can return to, I make note of the time of day and plan to return with my camera.

I've made those return trips on numerous occasions, and they are always very rewarding because then I can go with the right gear and a good relaxed attitude, as opposed to trying to squeeze in a shot when I'm really busy doing something else.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I must admit, I am usually a little rushed and hasty when I take pictures on the way to/from work. Often their is no good place to pull off the road. But over time I've scoped out rural driveways etc that work. I'm always more rushed than I'd like
On the other hand, I've captured some beautiful shots depending on weather etc that I would not be likely to get if I came back to that spot at sunrise or sunset on another day.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I take my DSLR everywhere. If I missed a great shot, it would drive me nuts... :eek:

How do you carry it? Do you bring it into your workplace , school, etc along with your lunch, laptop, etc ?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I take my DSLR everywhere. If I missed a great shot, it would drive me nuts...

Yup, couldn't agree more, I have 3 bags, one is dSLR + notebook bag, one is a free camera bag given when I bought my camera and the last one is a DIY camera bag if I want to go places where I don't want to be screamed as Camera Man!

I have experience numerous occasion where I regretted not bringing my dSLR so now I bring it like almost everywhere. If I were to get a more pro body, I will use it specific events or such while the shall follow me everywhere will be my current 1000D

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I normally bring my DLSR but I will at least bring my Canon G9 and just put it in my pocket. I too would also hate to miss a cool shot.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This talk reminded me of my 35mm film days.

Back in the 35mm days, I used to fly around Japan with a Canon A-1. One day, took a friend up but forgot to take my camera along -- left it in the car by mistake. We flew around Mt. Fuji. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. We were slightly above and looking down with the sun behind us.

If you can imagine a very black mountain, with a little snow top that is wearing a mink coat (made from pure white clouds) on a crystal clear type day.

I circled back around for another look. It was gone. The clouds had moved.

I almost cried. That was 15 years ago. Still pissed that I missed that shot.

Since that time, I always have carried a camera with me, even if it is only a point and shoot type. Picked up some neat shots over time. Never again will I forget my camera.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
It's just way too big to lug around all the time but I do carry my LX3 95% of the time.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i have a camera almost everywhere I go. Definitely try to take the dslr as much as possible, but the p & s is great when I can't haul my bigger bag around.

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
I have my p&s camera w/ me probably 97% of the time. I also carry my DSLR w/ a 55-200 lens in a nice, compact bag about 20% of the time, and the full DSLR kit about 20% of the time (meaning I have my DSLR w/ me about 40% of the time). My biggest constraint is time--sometimes, even when I have my camera w/ me, I just don't have time to stop and shoot. Looking forward to retirement to solve that problem! (Too bad it is many years away ... :p)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This talk reminded me of my 35mm film days.

Back in the 35mm days, I used to fly around Japan with a Canon A-1. One day, took a friend up but forgot to take my camera along -- left it in the car by mistake. We flew around Mt. Fuji. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. We were slightly above and looking down with the sun behind us.

If you can imagine a very black mountain, with a little snow top that is wearing a mink coat (made from pure white clouds) on a crystal clear type day.

I circled back around for another look. It was gone. The clouds had moved.

I almost cried. That was 15 years ago. Still pissed that I missed that shot.

Since that time, I always have carried a camera with me, even if it is only a point and shoot type. Picked up some neat shots over time. Never again will I forget my camera.

Well, OK, but this anecdote is hardly an example of a time when most people would not think to bring a camera. Indeed, you merely forgot; you didn't forgo the camera intentionally.

I most certainly bring my camera with me anytime I go somewhere unusual and I think there might be some photo ops, and I often seriously inconvenience myself to do so. But most of my Fall and Spring days I'm traveling back and forth along the same old routes. I walk almost everywhere I go, and my habit is to make these urban treks entertaining by being in "photographer mode" sans camera. I almost never see anything worth photographing, mostly because I tend to be out during the wrong hours of the day, when the light is bad. Nonetheless, I know that if I brought a point-and-shoot camera along, I would be disappointed at having gotten a merely OK shot that would have been better with my "real" camera. That's just how I am. If I'm going to do something, I want to do it "right."

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Always. Usually I have my DSLR and tripod, but at a minimum I have my ELPH (and as a backup to that, my iPhone, of course ;) )

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
I would if I had a prime. 40d with prime can fit in my bag easily and I would bring that with my every where.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I would if I had a prime. 40d with prime can fit in my bag easily and I would bring that with my every where.
had a prime? as in you don't have any prime right now? 50mm 1.8 is a very cheap and good prime :D

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Yes. I bought a camera shoulder bag to make sure I always had at least some semblance of camera kit with me - usually a 1D Mark III, 16-35L and 50L. The bag also then holds my other day-to-day bits and pieces.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
No, not always. 50 percent of the time, perhaps, I carry a D-Lux 4.
However, 95 percent of the time, I'm carrying an audio recorder.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I used to but found I never had time to stop or couldn't. I'm either late to be somewhere or I have my 3 year old with me and cant stop on the side of the road or drag him around to shoot. When he is a little older I will be able to.

When I go somewhere that's not business or just me I do take my camera and a few lenses most of the time.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
it would've been nice if this had a poll attached.

anyways: i have my dslr with me all the time. because of weight and space reason i do not take additional lenses or accessories for it with me.

as for "keeping the camera safe": i just put in my bag, but i make sure i put keys and other sharp objects in a separate compartment.
my method has a dust-attracting downside ;)

SimD

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Get a Lumix LX-3 or Leica D-Lux 4.. or if you've got the dough, a Leica M8.
:)

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Yes. I bought a camera shoulder bag to make sure I always had at least some semblance of camera kit with me - usually a 1D Mark III, 16-35L and 50L. The bag also then holds my other day-to-day bits and pieces.

I am concerned about leaving lenses in a car when the temperature could get too hot. At my office it should be OK if I can fit the bag into a drawer or cabinet.
How do you safeguard or store your gear when you are not with your bag?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.