Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I had an iPhone SE 2016, then an iPhone SE 2020 for years, recently the battery quit so I just ordered a new 3rd gen for my upgrade from Xfinity. However, it sucks. The battery life is terrible, and it's not connecting well to my vehicle either. I think I'm just gonna finally get a bigger phone. I don't really need a 14, although I'm sure they're very nice. I thought of just getting a 13. Unfortunately they don't have 256GB so I'll have to stay with 128 if I go with 13. I was hoping to get your thoughts on this... my plan... and if there's one you like more. My main priorities are, long battery life, enough storage. I'm sure I would love the pictures the 14 takes, my g/f has a 12 Pro Max and the pictures are stunning. I suppose the 14 would be even better. I suspect I'd be cool with the 13 though if it lasts all day. Thank you!

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
There is definitely a 256GB version. U can even find it in Apples refurbished store for $150 off. Even 512.

Regarding the connection to your car i doubt it would be different as all carplay is the same.

Regarding camera there is no big difference between 14 and 13. overall quite similar.

Personally i would try to wait for 15 in September

Reactions: Christopher11

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Wife has the 13 Mini. I have 13 Pro. We think that the photos are perfect. The BIG difference is that the 13 Pro has LIDAR which can do two tings: Getting astonishing good photos in low light (and very low light) is one ting. The other is that you can use an app like Polycam to make 3D scans of rooms and objects. The 3D apps gets better and better, so it might be a feature you really would want to have.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
Have been using a new iPhone 13 since a week , it seems to be perfect phone so far. Battery backup is great and camera is excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helmsley

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had an iPhone SE 2016, then an iPhone SE 2020 for years, recently the battery quit so I just ordered a new 3rd gen for my upgrade from Xfinity. However, it sucks. The battery life is terrible, and it's not connecting well to my vehicle either. I think I'm just gonna finally get a bigger phone. I don't really need a 14, although I'm sure they're very nice. I thought of just getting a 13. Unfortunately they don't have 256GB so I'll have to stay with 128 if I go with 13. I was hoping to get your thoughts on this... my plan... and if there's one you like more. My main priorities are, long battery life, enough storage. I'm sure I would love the pictures the 14 takes, my g/f has a 12 Pro Max and the pictures are stunning. I suppose the 14 would be even better. I suspect I'd be cool with the 13 though if it lasts all day. Thank you!
You could probably get an iPhone 14 Plus, get the size of your gf’s 12 Pro Max but with the newness of a 14 less the price of a Pro.

Or you can try get a 256GB 13 Pro Max if you can find any available.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let us know your phone size preference. If best battery life is the uttermost importance, then get the 14 Plus. Nothing beat the physics of simply a larger battery. You can try finding the 13 Pro Max, but the weight might turn you off, especially if you're going from a much smaller (and lighter) phone.

If you still prefer smaller size, then go for the regular 13. Apple does have 256GB model available. So nothing to worry on storage options.

Would be good to know your budget as well.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
I loved SE 2016 and was surprised at how good value it was.

I thought this would be the same for SE 2020, but was thoroughly disappointed.

I've also tried 3rd Gen., and I can't help but feel that Apple has been cutting costs on quality testing of SEs 2020 and 2022 -Bad battery life, tons of bugs, speakers making feedback noise when charging, persistent Search indexing bugs.

All around not the quality I've seen in iPhone 8, X, XS, 11, 12, 13.

Or maybe it's all because Apple doesn't care to optimize iOS to the SEs? I don't know.

But I definitely don't recommend them to anyone.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Traded my se 2 in for a iPhone 14 myself and I love the battery life of this phone so nice not to plug in all the time like my se 2.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The closest thing in size & weight to your iPhone SE would be 13 mini, however a regular 13’s battery would obviously outlast it. If I were you I would compare both iPhone 13 and 13 mini in person to see how they feel for you, as it is all down to your personal preferences.

I moved to 12 mini in a heartbeat from iPhone 11 and could not be happier. Unless Apple surprise me with a fresh iPhone with a screen size smaller than 6”, I am planning to eventually replace my 12 mini with 13 mini.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Wife has the 13 Mini. I have 13 Pro. We think that the photos are perfect. The BIG difference is that the 13 Pro has LIDAR which can do two tings: Getting astonishing good photos in low light (and very low light) is one ting. The other is that you can use an app like Polycam to make 3D scans of rooms and objects. The 3D apps gets better and better, so it might be a feature you really would want to have.

Ooh I want that! : ) Unfortunately, Xfinity seems to only have the 13 at this time, and only the 128GB. I guess I gotta get that. Fascinating about the Lidar. I mean this stuff could be useful on a camping trip... all kinds of uses I could imagine.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I loved SE 2016 and was surprised at how good value it was.

I thought this would be the same for SE 2020, but was thoroughly disappointed.

I've also tried 3rd Gen., and I can't help but feel that Apple has been cutting costs on quality testing of SEs 2020 and 2022 -Bad battery life, tons of bugs, speakers making feedback noise when charging, persistent Search indexing bugs.

All around not the quality I've seen in iPhone 8, X, XS, 11, 12, 13.

Or maybe it's all because Apple doesn't care to optimize iOS to the SEs? I don't know.

But I definitely don't recommend them to anyone.
You are so right, and I learned the hard way. I think the most revolutionary time for me in smartphones was when I went from flip phone to iPhone 4! It was an adorable phone, really nice. I guess it's the 13 or 14 for me. Will decide this weekend then make the move.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Really fantastic responses, super grateful to all you guys. Thank you. This is one good thing about the internet. So, I am definitely going to get either 13 or 14 Pro. I guess I'll take the next few days to decide, and order it Sunday night.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Ditto the 13 Mini comments. Going to move from 2020 SE to the Mini next month.

Will be three years, around the time I replace phones, and want small form factor and Face ID (Touch ID has been really finicky at certain times for a while now for me even after re-scanning finger prints). And since it seems like small phones are about to go extinct in the Apple metaverse, need to snag the last of its kind before September announcements.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
How would the 13 have been different for you? Too large? I realize you save some money, so that's nice.
I bought the 13 a couple of months before the 13 mini, and, obviously, I thought the 13 was too large. I am just used to small phones, that's all, (I have big hands), and I had the SE 1st gen before all of this. I passed the 13 on to one of my daughters. Didn't save any money in the process, I'm afraid, but that's family for you.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, these bring up a good point, thank you. Do you guys with the 13 or 14 ever resent a larger phone in your pocket? In winter it's no worries because I have an inside jacket pocket but in spring and summer it might feel a little big. I guess it's not a deal breaker.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Yeah, these bring up a good point, thank you. Do you guys with the 13 or 14 ever resent a larger phone in your pocket? In winter it's no worries because I have an inside jacket pocket but in spring and summer it might feel a little big. I guess it's not a deal breaker.
The bigger deal is if u are one handed user cos this doesn’t work anymore with 13 or plus

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s fine. I used a 2016 SE and a 12 Mini and adapted to the 13 very quickly. The extra battery life is a welcome addition. I also enjoy watching media on the larger screen. A Max sized phone would be too big for me though with the clothes that I wear… my pockets would not be big enough to hold a phone that size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.