Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Odysee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
Or are you pretty careless?

Nothing winds me up the most is when people don’t care about their belongings and when they don’t have respect for other peoples stuff.

I drive on the motorway here in the UK a lot for my work commute, and I see people SMOKING in a brand new, 4 week old, 2019 plate car? What the... why would you?

All of my iPhones I have had previously are 2+ years old, and when I take the case off them, they’re literally looking spotless.

We was brought up to really looking after our stuff, and I am going to continue that tradition with my kids.

Reactions: jagolden

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

Nothing winds me up the most is when people don’t care about their belongings and when they don’t have respect for other peoples stuff.

I drive on the motorway here in the UK a lot for my work commute, and I see people SMOKING in a brand new, 4 week old, 2019 plate car? What the... why would you?

All of my iPhones I have had previously are 2+ years old, and when I take the case off them, they’re literally looking spotless.

We was brought up to really looking after our stuff, and I am going to continue that tradition with my kids.

“Sunshine go away today, I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's come he's trying to run my life, don't know what he's asking
When he tells me I better get in line, can't hear what he's saying
When I grow up, I'm gonna make him mine, these ain't dues I been paying

How much does it cost?
I'll buy it!
The time is all we've lost
I'll try it!

He can't even run his own life,
I'll be damned if he'll run mine
--sunshine”

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Seriously?

Nothing winds you up more than this?

Their belongings, thus, it is for them to do with them as they wish.

Again: Their cars, their lives, their choices.

Are you this judgmental in every other walk of life?

--sunshine”

Exactly.

And very well said.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I generally look after my stuff well. My phones have a case and screen protector from day one.
I remember asking the trade in price for an old iPhone I had replaced. The guy replied well for an A grade phone we give x. But we never pay out that!
Brought in my iPhone and got the A grade price!

As for what other people do, that’s up to them. I’m not buying it, so who cares?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Then it's really going to wind your clock to find out that I don't use cases at all and MY older than two year iPhones look the same as your 2+ year old iPhones do when you take the case off them.

Is it possible I treat my stuff better than you do? So much so that I don't need to rely on a case at all?

Who knows, who cares? Care about your own stuff and not anybody else's - unless you've been entrusted with it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Then it's really going to wind your clock to find out that I don't use cases at all and MY older than two year iPhones look the same as your 2+ year old iPhones do when you take the case off them.

Is it possible I treat my stuff better than you do? So much so that I don't need to rely on a case at all?

Who knows, who cares? Care about your own stuff and not anybody else's - unless you've been entrusted with it.

This.

And very well said.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK

Remember most cars are Leased or PCP’d so the owner probably doesn’t care (passed a point) on the condition as they’ll just hand it back within 36 months.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

I live my life somewhere between not being ruled by my earthly possessions/not being a slave to anything and being a good steward of that which I've been blessed with. I neither want to be ruled by things nor be flippant or wasteful.

That being said, what others do with theirs and themselves isn't my business much, is it?

“Sunshine go away today, I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's come he's trying to run my life, don't know what he's asking
When he tells me I better get in line, can't hear what he's saying
When I grow up, I'm gonna make him mine, these ain't dues I been paying

How much does it cost?
I'll buy it!
The time is all we've lost
I'll try it!

--sunshine”

Catchy.

Seriously?

Nothing winds you up more than this?

Their belongings, thus, it is for them to do with them as they wish.

Again: Their cars, their lives, their choices.

Are you this judgmental in every other walk of life?

I feel that the post was most likely hyperbole.

However, as human beings, we do tend to think that wherever we've landed on a spectrum is the "correct" position. E.g. Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot and anyone faster a maniac.

It's our condition, as we've have decided this is the best position for us, so it must be the best position. Full stop. I think many also try to justify their positions and decisions by proselytizing to others.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m very careful with my stuff, and generally take very good care of it. I have family members on both ends of the financial spectrum (ie some that are loaded, and some that are low-income) who seem to be much less careful. My take with the ones that have a lot of money is that they can more easily replace things if they are damaged. My take with the ones that have little money is that their stuff isn’t as valuable, so they don’t care as much. This is just my own personal opinion on the matter within my OWN extended family.

My situation: we have a decent income, and we own nice quality stuff. However, I don’t have so much income that I always want to be repairing or replacing things. In addition, I guess I have enough pride that I want what I have to look nice. A bonus for me is that my husband feels similarly.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

It really depends on the object, and certainly not necessarily because of the monetary value.
A scratch on my car? I don't give a crap; life is short enough to take this stuff personally. Still, I don't drive it recklessly and I don't do anything to willfully damage it.
My phone? I use it every day, I have a case for it. If it breaks, it breaks. I do what is reasonable to prevent it without being obsessed by it. Again, life is short and I'll not make an object determine my mood whenever possible.
Other objects I truly don't care and I might do actions that destroy them. While other objects, I do take care of them (for example I have some books in a plastic bag to protect them; I don't care about their monetary value, some of them are worth quite a bit, some of them are worth ten bucks).

Look, we have another thread here by and about a father who lost his daughter. Another user replied that he lost all his children in a car accident. We had a 300+ fatalities bombing the other way, and so on. That stuff should wind you up a bit. What people do with their own objects they paid for through their work? I don't see the problem. I work my butt off like many other people, and part of it is to buy objects I want and not necessarily need, to do with them whatever I want. If I want to buy an iPhone XS to just throw it in a volcano that's my business.

Simple: Because that's how they want enjoy their new purchase. Considering that the UK has a taxpayer funded healthcare system I'd be more concerned of them smoking at all rather than where they're smoking as that would really apply to you. If they smoke in the car, in a cabinet, or in their brand new yacht doesn't make a difference to you.

Very good. You want to treat objects like that, it's your prerogative. You are doing exactly what the people you mention do: what you want with your object.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
For me it depends on the thing in question. For example, my phones I take care of and try to keep clean so they are usable after several years and look in good shape. My car, I will service regularly and make sure I get anything checked out that doesn't seem right, but I only clean my car about once a year.

My clothes I don't care for at all. I'll have holes in my pants (that weren't there when new) and I'll still wear them outside. I pretty much live in sweat pants and have like 5 pairs.

So there are things I will care for and others that I don't care for at all. Other people's things on the other hand, whatever it is, I always try to care for since it's not mine.

Reactions: willmtaylor

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
My own stuff sure I try to keep it immaculate. Other peoples stuff. I couldn't care less how well they care for it. it's like the super anal car detailer vs the people that treat their cars like rolling garbage cans. The latter is cringe worthy but what are you gonna do. I mean I think Americans have gone too far in looking like slobs in their everyday dress too but again I don't control such things, so I don't think about it too much. And honestly as far as their personal belongings and electronics. They spent their own money on it. If they want to treat it like crap that's their business. Some people just don't care. You can't make them and nor should you.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It really depends on the object, and certainly not necessarily because of the monetary value.
A scratch on my car? I don't give a crap; life is short enough to take this stuff personally. Still, I don't drive it recklessly and I don't do anything to willfully damage it.
My phone? I use it every day, I have a case for it. If it breaks, it breaks. I do what is reasonable to prevent it without being obsessed by it. Again, life is short and I'll not make an object determine my mood whenever possible.
Other objects I truly don't care and I might do actions that destroy them. While other objects, I do take care of them (for example I have some books in a plastic bag to protect them; I don't care about their monetary value, some of them are worth quite a bit, some of them are worth ten bucks).

Look, we have another thread here by and about a father who lost his daughter. Another user replied that he lost all his children in a car accident. We had a 300+ fatalities bombing the other way, and so on. That stuff should wind you up a bit. What people do with their own objects they paid for through their work? I don't see the problem. I work my butt off like many other people, and part of it is to buy objects I want and not necessarily need, to do with them whatever I want. If I want to buy an iPhone XS to just throw it in a volcano that's my business.

Simple: Because that's how they want enjoy their new purchase. Considering that the UK has a taxpayer funded healthcare system I'd be more concerned of them smoking at all rather than where they're smoking as that would really apply to you. If they smoke in the car, in a cabinet, or in their brand new yacht doesn't make a difference to you.

Very good. You want to treat objects like that, it's your prerogative. You are doing exactly what the people you mention do: what you want with your object.

Excellent post: Well said and well argued.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Great post, said it way better than I could.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Taking care of what one owns is great. We'd not likely have a clue on care of possessions if not advised and at least somewhat supervised along the way as children by our elders.

As a kid I used to admire the guy next door every weekend looking after his car and washing the floor mats and vacuuming inside the thing, and all manner of other stuff around the garage and yard.

He was doing very well what our dad made us kids do... and we kinda half-assed it all if we could get away with it. But we were jealous as hell of the kids next door meanwhile, with their fooling around making tree-house renovations while we were washing the trash pails and trimming the grass alongside the driveway.

I found out later though that that guy only looked after his own car and yard because he didn't trust the kids to do it right, which probably raised some other issues of which I was mercifully unaware. I do know that they had some toys they were not even allowed to play with lest they break.

There must be a happy medium on concern over possessions... I guess it can be hard to get there.

My clothes I don't care for at all. I'll have holes in my pants (that weren't there when new) and I'll still wear them outside. I pretty much live in sweat pants and have like 5 pairs.

I too am one of those people who treats sweatshirts and jeans as pals willing to get some holes and rips in the service of "great adventures" in the gardens... not everything I own merits handling with kid gloves.

My gear has battle scars which I figure just proves it's been useful and got used, not necessarily abused. I run much of it into the ground so resale value is immaterial to me, and any stuff I hand down to neighborhood kids, well... if they don't like a ding or a scratch on it, they haven't said so yet. :D

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I cannot own a car I am so bad. I bought one new after 16 years without one and kept it 3 years, putting just 10K miles on it. If it wasn’t perfect, it would eat at me. I had become so engrained with walking or taking transit I simply wouldn’t drive it, which solved the problem of keeping it perfect. I have not missed it a bit in the nearly two years since I sold it.
It was awesome though. S

Reactions: Gutwrench

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I cannot own a car I am so bad. I bought one new after 16 years without one and kept it 3 years, putting just 10K miles on it. If it wasn’t perfect, it would eat at me. I had become so engrained with walking or taking transit I simply wouldn’t drive it, which solved the problem of keeping it perfect. I have not missed it a bit in the nearly two years since I sold it.
It was awesome though. S

Now see you are exactly the kind of "just one previous owner" who resides in my dreams when I am looking for my next new-to-me car. All I do is change the oil and have it looked after mechanically. Thanks to the attentions of white tailed deer, it also usually gets a new hood, door or quarter panel once in awhile. That's about it. Other battle scars just get lived with. The inside gets kept up enough not to embarrass me when I give someone a ride to town. OK well there could be a few dead bees on that back shelf for awhile sometimes... :rolleyes:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
It was awesome though. S

Are you that little old lady from Pasadena who only drives on Sunday?

I missed buying your car. :(
[doublepost=1556633211][/doublepost]
Now see you are exactly the kind of "just one previous owner" who resides in my dreams when I am looking for my next new-to-me car.

You beat me to it!

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Now see you are exactly the kind of "just one previous owner" who resides in my dreams when I am looking for my next new-to-me car. All I do is change the oil and have it looked after mechanically. Thanks to the attentions of white tailed deer, it also usually gets a new hood, door or quarter panel once in awhile. That's about it. Other battle scars just get lived with. The inside gets kept up enough not to embarrass me when I give someone a ride to town. OK well there could be a few dead bees on that back shelf for awhile sometimes... :rolleyes:

Yup. That’s me. I had the last car wrapped for $3K almost Day 1. Not a mark on it. The first thing I did was put in Weathertech mats but it only saw rain if I was caught out in it. (heaven forbid driving it out into anything but sunshine) I sat on a towel rather than dare making a mark on the leather. I never did turn on the heated seats. I stored it underground under a full cover October thru March the whole time I owned it. (Full tank of gas with Stabil in it, with the battery pulled and on a tender in my apartment) I had the first oil change at 100 miles, and 4 more times inside of the 10K miles I drove it before selling it.
My previous car 16 years prior, looked as though you just drove it off the lot the day I sold it. I had owned it 7 years and put on just shy of 120K miles.
I was the same with my motorcycles but was not always like that. I inherited this anal retentativeness from my father. It’s a sickness, trust me.
S

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yup. That’s me. I had the last car wrapped for $3K almost Day 1. Not a mark on it. The first thing I did was put in Weathertech mats but it only saw rain if I was caught out in it. (heaven forbid driving it out into anything but sunshine) I sat on a towel rather than dare making a mark on the leather. I never did turn on the heated seats. I stored it underground under a full cover October thru March the whole time I owned it. (Full tank of gas with Stabil in it, with the battery pulled and on a tender in my apartment) I had the first oil change at 100 miles, and 4 more times inside of the 10K miles I drove it before selling it.
My previous car 16 years prior, looked as though you just drove it off the lot the day I sold it. I had owned it 7 years and put on just shy of 120K miles.
I was the same with my motorcycles but was not always like that. I inherited this anal retentativeness from my father. It’s a sickness, trust me.
S
So what do you drive in winter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.