Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
So what do you drive in winter?

I only owned the one car. I did not drive in the winter. I lived and worked right in the middle of the city. I took transit and walked everywhere the vast majority of the time. In fact, not owning a car for 16 years prior to this last one wired my brain to not needing a car at all, hence why I sold It. Owning it was just a waste of my money. In the city owning a car wasn’t much of a convenience since the traffic is such a pain. Buying it was simply a snap decision and a bad one at that. I knew it just about immediately. I hope to never buy another.

S

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I generally take very good care of all my things, even the inexpensive ones. I think it comes with having an appreciation for things in general, and they're always so nice when they're in good condition.

Having said that, I also notice that you get to enjoy things more when you aren't so worried about them. For example, the guitar I've enjoyed most was the "cottage guitar" that could go anywhere and be played by anyone.

If end up not using the things you like most because you want to preserve them, to the point where you use other things in their place, then it doesn't really make sense -- though it seems tough to overcome this.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
searching for that sweet spot that brings order & purity:

i have put the law down and limit what i accumulate these days. I have a active ebay shop to sell off (mostly clothing) the good label lightly used.
and
If i find say a 13mm socket has walked off, I replace it from a local used hand tool shop.
Things like clothing; I make sure i really really need it than go to a upper end department store and make notes what I like and what fits. Later buy it on ebay or a local consignment shop.

Reactions: JamesMike

Spacetime Anomaly

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2017
Way out in space
Some say that our attempt to preserve 'things' is a physical manifestation of our attempt to preserve our own lives. Unfortunately, you cannot stop time, or hold life in amber, so it's best not to worry about a little wear and tear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odysee

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Some say that our attempt to preserve 'things' is a physical manifestation of our attempt to preserve our own lives. Unfortunately, you cannot stop time, or hold life in amber, so it's best not to worry about a little wear and tear.

And sometimes cigar is just a cigar. Wanting keep my personal belongings in good shape isn't some existential philosophical extension of my own life. On the other hand. One of my favorite lines from The Transporter
"I always say, the way a man treats his car is how he treats himself" - Tarconi from Transporter 1 holds true to me as well.

So maybe some minor overlap in thought.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Seriously?

Nothing winds you up more than this?

Their belongings, thus, it is for them to do with them as they wish.

True, but the value of how much you spend on such, should also transalte to how much care you should take in it too..

eg. you spend $200 on a laptop, and your more iikely to use it as a door-stop, but buy a $2,000 Mac, and you would not be doing that.

Reactions: JamesMike

Spacetime Anomaly

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2017
Way out in space
And sometimes cigar is just a cigar. Wanting keep my personal belongings in good shape isn't some existential philosophical extension of my own life. On the other hand. One of my favorite lines from The Transporter
"I always say, the way a man treats his car is how he treats himself" - Tarconi from Transporter 1 holds true to me as well.

So maybe some minor overlap in thought.

Love that movie. Best fight scenes of the franchise.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Or are you pretty careless?

Nothing winds me up the most is when people don’t care about their belongings and when they don’t have respect for other peoples stuff.

I drive on the motorway here in the UK a lot for my work commute, and I see people SMOKING in a brand new, 4 week old, 2019 plate car? What the... why would you?

All of my iPhones I have had previously are 2+ years old, and when I take the case off them, they’re literally looking spotless.

We was brought up to really looking after our stuff, and I am going to continue that tradition with my kids.

Personally I’m with you as to what I own. I don’t understand people mistreating or not taking care of what they buy, but not my business.

What does annoy me is when these same people complain about what they’ve mistreated or not taken care of, and blame it on others or the manufacturers.
On MR there’s always a discussion/complaint about Apple’s lousy i device cables and how supposedly fragile they are. Complete BS. In our house, all told, across 6 iPhones, 5 iPads and 12 iPods we have never had a cable fray or break, and they have been used all over the place. The problem isn’t the cords, it’s people that yank out the plugs by the cord and not gripping the plug.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Personally I’m with you as to what I own. I don’t understand people mistreating or not taking care of what they buy, but not my business.

What does annoy me is when these same people complain about what they’ve mistreated or not taken care of, and blame it on others or the manufacturers.
On MR there’s always a discussion/complaint about Apple’s lousy i device cables and how supposedly fragile they are. Complete BS. In our house, all told, across 6 iPhones, 5 iPads and 12 iPods we have never had a cable fray or break, and they have been used all over the place. The problem isn’t the cords, it’s people that yank out the plugs by the cord and not gripping the plug.
Your holding it wrong :D

I’ve had a couple fail over the years. But most are okay. Of course with wireless charging I hardly use one with my iPhone these days. Just in hotels and backing up to my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.