Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer the raisins or the bran?

• Raisins

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Bran

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It's been a couple days since this thread/poll has had any activity. For a while there, I swear rains and bran were neck and neck! :eek:

But more recently, bran has pulled ahead as people post the most denigrating and unwarranted opinions of GOSA (Grapes Optimized for Surface Area (raisins)).

I've taken a page out of @chown33's book, trying to represent all of the complex raisin v. bran statistics graphically:

View attachment 831361

I'm firmly on the edge of my goddamned seat, waiting to see further progress in the poll and a continuation of what can only be described as a battle of minds in the comments.
I'd never use such trite and clichéed chartjunk. Either pare things down to the minimum, or go over the top.

The minimum pie chart would be a plain circle, with colored or shaded parts, and both names and percentages.

I'm not sure I'd pick a pie chart for such a simple question, though. If one prefers bran, then one also has a lower preference for raisins. To me, that suggests a balance between the two, which suggests a single-bar stacked bar chart. Round = pie chart, rectangular = tiramisu chart.

An over-the-top rendition might be a balance scale with a large bran flake on one pan and a large raisin on the other (area appropriate to percentage), held up by a blindfolded "smiling sun" from the cereal box. Add an ermine rampant dexter supporting the percentage and name "Bran", and a Shar Pei rampant sinister similarly for "Raisin".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why not both?

Bran without raisins is boring; raisins without bran are nothing more than dried fruit, and - in themselves - insufficient to justify the quantities of organic double cream I normally serve (and consume) with such a dish.

Reactions: SDColorado

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
The raisins are not very well preserved in the box. I prefer to buy bran cereal and add the raisins.

P.S. When you buy cereal, you're also buying waxed paper. The bag in the box is waxed paper. There's no need to buy a roll of waxed paper if you eat enough cereal and save the bags.
I feel like when I was a kid I saw a political commercial about some politician that wanted to remove all of the boxes cereal came in, and make it just bags to save the environment.

He didn't win, but I can't remember his name for the life of me. I was too young.

Spacetime Anomaly

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2017
Way out in space
Recently I went on a culinary odyssey (in my mind) and through trial and error I perfected the perfect recipe (in my kitchen) for Raisin Bran. If any of you crazy cats (in your mind) out there want to experiment with making your own (in your kitchen) I have included a recipe for the more adventurous among you to try.

Ingredients:

Bran
Raisins
Milk

Method:

First of all, you need to bring your own mind into the kitchen (and your body).
Put on some cool Jazz (such as Explorations by Bill Evans) or some early 90’s British grind-core (such as Necroticism Descanting the Insalubrious by Carcass).
Open one unexpired pack of bran. Slowly. Take time to enjoy the bran aroma and re-connect yourself with humanity’s agricultural past.
Add the bran to a bowl (a bowl is like a plate but with higher sides).
Add raisins to the bowl (any atrophied style of grape will do).
Now mix them together, gently. You needn’t use a spoon, clean hands will do, and if you have no hands use whatever appendage you see fit to [legally] bring together the aforementioned ingredients.
Add a good amount of milk, but not so much that it spills over the sides (alternatively, if you are a vegan, add whatever they squeeze from nuts, plants, or rocks these days)
Serve up and into your mouth with a spoon (a spoon is like a fork but with the fingers fused together).

Enjoy!

Feel free to print this out and tape it to your Alexa connected Samsung refrigerator spy machine hub.

Reactions: AngerDanger

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Mar 28, 2019
I feel like when I was a kid I saw a political commercial about some politician that wanted to remove all of the boxes cereal came in, and make it just bags to save the environment.

He didn't win, but I can't remember his name for the life of me. I was too young.
Which is weird cause the boxes are cardboard and the bags are plastic. Should be the other way round although the cereal would get stale without the bags.

Reactions: SDColorado

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Well, you can probably rule out Post and Kellogg. ;)
You know, it could be that quasi-religious quack Quaker! :mad: He was known for going on and on about how his harvest was so pure you could store it in a cardboard cylinder with a plastic lid on top!

An over-the-top rendition might be a balance scale with a large bran flake on one pan and a large raisin on the other (area appropriate to percentage), held up by a blindfolded "smiling sun" from the cereal box. Add an ermine rampant dexter supporting the percentage and name "Bran", and a Shar Pei rampant sinister similarly for "Raisin".
Are you… you tryn'a GIF-bait me, man?! Who do you think you are? @keysofanxiety :eek:

Reactions: keysofanxiety

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The bigger question is what raisins were more tolerable, Post or Kelloggs versions.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Which is weird cause the boxes are cardboard and the bags are plastic. Should be the other way round although the cereal would get stale without the bags.

Agreed. The bags are a pain. Although the bags are also are made with high density polyethylene (HDPE), in this film form they can not be placed into most curbside Recycling bins, due to the damage that they can cause to recycling equipment.

They can be rinsed out and taken for drop off along with other plastic bags or can be used as a substitute for waxed paper as another poster suggested. One note of caution with that is that many cereals are manufactured in facilities that also process nuts and other allergens, unlike store bought wax paper. So be careful who you give food products to that the bag liners/“wax paper” have come in contact with.

Reactions: MasterControlOp

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Bran_Stark_-_Isaac_Hempstead-Wright.jpeg

The people support me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.