Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think it will be polished enough to install it at launch, on a new SSD?

• Yes, it will be smooth and stable.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • No, better stay off and install the latest Mojave version instead.

Votes: 86 65.6%

• Total voters

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Sadly Mojave is my last MacOS, too many 32bit apps I can't do without and won't be updated to 64bit, shame they can't allow a compatibility mode, but this is progress I guess.

you can't find replacement apps? or those developers aren't going to upgrade to 64? down the line (a year, a few years), you may decide (or need) to move forward... good to, at least, start planning...

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
My security system relies on Silverlight and thats never going to be updated, not buying Adobe suite again as it cost over a £1000 and still works perfectly for my uses. My logitech remote still in beta for 64bit software (closed beta, so I don't have a copy) several old games that I play from time to time. Scanner software, again Id have to buy new hardware to take advantage of 64bit software currently in use. It would cost me £1000's to change everything and for zero gain (apart from being up to date)

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
My security system relies on Silverlight and thats never going to be updated, not buying Adobe suite again as it cost over a £1000 and still works perfectly for my uses. My logitech remote still in beta for 64bit software (closed beta, so I don't have a copy) several old games that I play from time to time. Scanner software, again Id have to buy new hardware to take advantage of 64bit software currently in use. It would cost me £1000's to change everything and for zero gain (apart from being up to date)

In your use case Windows would simply be better. I can still play old DOS4GW based MS-DOS games under Windows if I want to. That sort of backwards compatibility is never ever gonna happen with anything Apple touches.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I hadn't doe a lean install in years - decade? When I had trouble with.15 beta I wiped it band did a clean install of .14

I'd wait for January. Just as 10.3.0 and every OS X release, and iOS as well - if you can.
Remember 6.0.0? of course not! How about issues with virtual memory and printers in 7.0?
Apple has been consistent, I'll say that ?

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I have the latest beta (9), didn't install the other betas, went straight to 9. It's already stable, smooth, and snappy for me with no issues (Mac mini i3 2018). At least as good as Mojave. Although it 'feels' smoother than Mojave but this could well be in my head.

To the point where I'm not going to install any more betas or the GM beyond this one, because it works so well, I don't want to mess anything up. I'll wait until the final public release now in October before I update my Mac again.

Like when using the betas in previous year's MacOS releases (I install them every year), I have it on my main machine as my only OS, and it's perfect (except some of the questionable UI design choices with the new iPad-like apps, but that's subjective).

Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
I have the latest beta (9), didn't install the other betas, went straight to 9. It's already stable, smooth, and snappy for me with no issues (Mac mini i3 2018). At least as good as Mojave. Although it 'feels' smoother than Mojave but this could well be in my head.

To the point where I'm not going to install any more betas or the GM beyond this one, because it works so well, I don't want to mess anything up. I'll wait until the final public release now in October before I update my Mac again.

Like when using the betas in previous year's MacOS releases (I install them every year), I have it on my main machine as my only OS, and it's perfect (except some of the questionable UI design choices with the new iPad-like apps, but that's subjective).
This is exactly what I did (on my 2019 MBP) and plan to do. I have experienced a few minor glitches, but over all I'm very pleased with PB9.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It definitely feels smoother than Mojave, @ajaan

However, it is giving me issues with Steam. Namely, with a game called "We Were Here", which works on Mojave, it is apparently 64bits, but for some reason Steam doesn't allow you to download it.

Hopefully not much software will give me problems with Catalina, because I'm loving it.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL

This is awesome news. I’ve been meaning to wipe my MacBook Pro and was debating between the latest Mojave and the latest beta. Think I’ll gamble and do beta 9.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My logitech remote still in beta for 64bit software (closed beta, so I don't have a copy)
Don't worry. I applied in time for the beta, and they sent me a link to download it that doesn't work.

Logitech are crap at software. Also, their new 64-bit Harmony software won't support any of their new remotes that use the hub. Plus, I've seen it and they've basically taken their awful iPhone app and ported it to MacOS.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not that I don't agree with complaints about 32 bit apps but there has been long notice to developers, etc that these need to be changed. Yet, many developers just haven't done it - there could be other changes in the OS that could cause programs not to work and if a developer has abandoned the software maybe users should also. Not the hardest thing in the world to upgrade and app from 32 to 64 but.
There was the same outcry a couple of years ago when this happened on iPhone but not much noise later

MariozPOC

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Rivarolo Canavese - TO

Hi, you know beta releases are going to exipire....... (not GM obviously)

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think with Catalina that a clean install of the OS will be needed. It's a pain but I think it is probably going to be needed to clean out the cobwebs of 32 bit(ness).

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think this is going to be the biggest mess since the 16 to 32 bit transition. Mostly because of developers that don't update right away, or at all. Many many apps with little bits of 32 bot code still inside, like internal updaters, etc.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Since my last remark, I have noticed one thing that isn't as smooth as it should be:

iCloud syncing (I have iOS 13.1.1).

It seems to be a problem mainly with Apple Notes, with syncs taking 10-15 minutes.

But otherwise, using Catalina is still smooth, stable, and 'snappy'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.