Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think it's disrespectful to customers that Apple hasn't released a MacBook Pro since May 2015

• Yes

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 59 36.4%
  • Take your time, but it better be really good

Votes: 28 17.3%
  • It's been too long, I'm shopping elseware

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Maybe they are being respectful to customers and refuse to sell Skylake.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
There has been very little in the way of leaks of new rMBPs. There is still no announcement for a media invited event. Normally this has happened by now. I would expect this week at the latest for the invitation to be sent out which means new Macs by the end of October which gets them into stores in time for Thanksgiving and holiday shopping.

If there is no media event before the end of October I think we won't see new Macs until March 2017 - which would be about 700 days since the last release.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb ram and a 256gb ssd. This machine could last me the rest of my life. I have a 2015 Macbook retina. Again 8/256. Could last me a lifetime. I just upgraded my desktop Mac Mini with a 256SSD and 8gb ram. It flys. Stop your whining. What's available now in the Mac lineup and what can be done to upgrade old machines do the job.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb ram and a 256gb ssd. This machine could last me the rest of my life. I have a 2015 Macbook retina. Again 8/256. Could last me a lifetime. I just upgraded my desktop Mac Mini with a 256SSD and 8gb ram. It flys. Stop your whining. What's available now in the Mac lineup and what can be done to upgrade old machines do the job.
What a stupid response. Anyone who buys a Macbook Pro right now is an idiot since new MacBooks are on the horizon. It has nothing to do with lasting a lifetime and more to do with value. If you have $1500 to spend would you spend it now or wait 2 weeks and get a newer, faster, and redesigned model for possible the same price point...

Reactions: addictive

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Tim had a conversation with Phil a few months ago and it went like:

Tim: How long do you think we can keep selling our Mac without upgrade it?

Phil: a couple of years?

Tim: That's a low guess. We can go a few years and our customers would hardly noticed.

Phil: I guess we should remove the specs from our website.

Tim: lol

Reactions: navaira and Queen6

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
The delay isn't disrespectful, but still charging the same price 18 months after it was 'new' certainly is.

If Apple really wants to move to longer life cycles, which does make sense in today's market, they do need to review their fixed price point strategy.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple can justifiably argue that because they make both the hardware and software, even current "outdated" hardware has significant value because of macOS. Refreshing the hardware isn't the only way Apple brings great value to Mac users.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Apple can justifiably argue that because they make both the hardware and software, even current "outdated" hardware has significant value because of macOS. Refreshing the hardware isn't the only way Apple brings great value to Mac users.

After upgrading to Sierra, my display looks like someone puked on it: lot of added value right there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple can justifiably argue that because they make both the hardware and software, even current "outdated" hardware has significant value because of macOS.
They can try to make that argument, but it seems people are not buying it, as the sales of Macs have been dropping for a couple of quarters now, and those companies that only make the hardware (not the OS), like Dell, Lenovo, and HP, etc are selling more computers.

While on one level I see your point, but in the execution of the latest few versions of OS X, I disagree. I think there's been a dumbing down of the OS both visually, and ability wise. Its closer to iOS then it ever has and for me that's a huge limitation.

Then there's the age old argument that Apple's software division is used to drive the hardware, however with Apple crippling iWorks, Photos and what not, I can't see how that is luring people to the hardware.

Reactions: flyinmac

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Unless Apple waits last minute or does not schedule a Key Note, I'm not sure where your figuring 'A few weeks for a new model.' October has been the past Mac update. Cook said the Mac was on the horizon. When is the question.

On the horizon.... that just means some day.

For comparison, it has been said that "the end of the world is near". They have been saying that for a few thousand years. Yet, it still sounds closer than "on the horizon."

So... new Macs, possibly coming before the end of the world.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
What a stupid response. Anyone who buys a Macbook Pro right now is an idiot since new MacBooks are on the horizon. It has nothing to do with lasting a lifetime and more to do with value. If you have $1500 to spend would you spend it now or wait 2 weeks and get a newer, faster, and redesigned model for possible the same price point...

How do you know new Macs are coming? We have been hearing about Skylake powered rMBPs being released on October 2015, March 2016, and June 2016.

And at worse, if announced by the end of the month, a buyer today could take their new macbook pro back because they would be within the 14 day refund period.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On the horizon.... that just means some day.

For comparison, it has been said that "the end of the world is near". They have been saying that for a few thousand years. Yet, it still sounds closer than "on the horizon."

So... new Macs, possibly coming before the end of the world.

Someone should ask Cook what on the Horizon means then.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"Disrespectful" is an odd word to use. I do think they've taken us a little bit for granted, just assuming we'll pay top dollar for (very) old tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.