Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Im thinking of upgrading since i had to sadly return do to financial issues and needed the money for a family emergency, but my question is, do you think that the new 2021 version which is rumored to be slightly thicker will still work with the magic keyboard? I certantly hope so, cause idk what to do with this thing if it doesnt....(Plus i miss not having an ipad at the moment)

alexargo

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2016
If the only difference is that it was slightly thicker, it seems like it would still fit as long as the magnets are in the correct place and the camera bump is still in the right place it seems like it would be fine. The fact that they kept it compatible from the 2018 to the 2020 iPad pros makes me think this version might retain compatibility too.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
This is what I’m wondering, too.

I’m tempted to get the keyboard, but at its current price if it doesn’t work with the upcoming iPad Pro, I don’t think it’s worth it...

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Im thinking of upgrading since i had to sadly return do to financial issues and needed the money for a family emergency, but my question is, do you think that the new 2021 version which is rumored to be slightly thicker will still work with the magic keyboard? I certantly hope so, cause idk what to do with this thing if it doesnt....(Plus i miss not having an ipad at the moment)
We cant be sure until its released.

Reactions: rgarjr

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I'm hoping for compatibility. But I'm also hoping for an update in the external material. Mine is only a few weeks old and I can se how it is getting scuffed and smudged.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
It might need a new magic keyboard as thicker usually also means heavier. The keyboard is a counter weight so it may mean some added heft to the case.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
They are probably going to move to the wider aspect ratio for this model I’d think...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would imagine so, would be a bad look if they didn't as I wouldn't expect it to change that much size wise.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine Apple making a new keyboard. Accessories are cheap to make with chunky margin. Maybe some F keys, different material/colour.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine Apple making a new keyboard.

Indeed and given there are issues with the current keyboard I would not be surprised they 'fix' those issues under the guise of having to create a new keyboard for the new iPad.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
if they do change it will make me glad that I have a MacBook again as I couldn't justify keeping paying 300 extra just for a keyboard. think my next iPad will be the 11 inch with Smart Cover instead.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Indeed and given there are issues with the current keyboard I would not be surprised they 'fix' those issues under the guise of having to create a new keyboard for the new iPad.

What issues?

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Feb 22, 2015
Na, being apple and wanting us #applesheep to spend more money, they will release a new keyboard and we will all go out and buy it and then complain about it after ???

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
My guess is that it’ll work with existing 12.9” iPad Pros. The new Smart Keyboard is less than a year old and I’m sure they knew what was coming down the pipeline with future 12.9” models.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
What makes you think that?
It’s the odd one out in this lineup.

They seem to be restructuring the IPad model lines. “Ipad Air” is now basically a slightly down-positioned last year’s 11 pro with cap on storage capacity. That’s their midrange value tablet, following the pact couple years in which they positioned the basic IPad as SuperValus low end product.

I predict for 2021:
- they are moving to consolidate 11 Pro and 12.9 pro with a single 12” wide aspect ratio model. Which they release this year (2021) with the Micro LED and FaceID + Powerbutton ID. This will have 256-512-1TB capacities. And a jacked up price “pro” point.
- They don’t revise any new 11 Pro and 12.9 pro models this year - they just keep selling the current “2020” ones for one more transition year. Then they cut them from lineup next year (2022).

Reactions: millydog

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester

They seem to be restructuring the IPad model lines. “Ipad Air” is now basically a slightly down-positioned last year’s 11 pro with cap on storage capacity. That’s their midrange value tablet, following the pact couple years in which they positioned the basic IPad as SuperValus low end product.

I predict for 2021:
- they are moving to consolidate 11 Pro and 12.9 pro with a single 12” wide aspect ratio model. Which they release this year (2021) with the Micro LED and FaceID + Powerbutton ID. This will have 256-512-1TB capacities. And a jacked up price “pro” point.
- They don’t revise any new 11 Pro and 12.9 pro models this year - they just keep selling the current “2020” ones for one more transition year. Then they cut them from lineup next year (2022).

I highly doubt they will downsize the 12.9

Reactions: ckoerner

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011

I predict for 2021:
You might be on to something here, and I would love for it to be true that a 12” is coming, pretty much every reviewer all say the same thing...

11” is excellent as a tablet but suffers when doing real work on it due to lack of screen real estate for multitasking etc...

12.9” is excellent as a laptop replacement but is too big as a tablet...

I think Apple releasing an 11” in 2021 probably will not be enough for the extra £190 on top of the Air... the only benefits even when the 11” comes with what’s rumoured is:

120hz screen
Better A14X
Better Speakers / Mics
5G
Face ID

I just think the Air is that high spec right now that the 11” Pro is either going down the pan or as you say is getting replaced with a 12” (which in my opinion is probably the best size ever the pro could come in, best of both worlds).

The iPad Pro’s at the moment remind me of when the watch first came out in 38mm and 42mm... for me the 38mm was too small and the 42mm was too big and were soon replaced with the 40mm and 44mm we have today... now the 40mm is perfect for me that took 4 generations for that to eventually happen.

I feel that the 2018 and 2020 pros are in the same boat here... a 12” would be perfect for pretty much everyone... and then launching a 14” later in the year for those that need more screen real estate

Last edited:
Reactions: millydog

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

I predict for 2021:
Personally, I wouldn't mind if the 11" Pro line was replaced by the Air. However, I would prefer if they kept the "new" Pro line as the 12.9" and a bigger size, like 14-15".

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Agree with what seems to be the general consensus—too soon to tell. As for what you can do with the keyboard OP, you can always sell. They go fast online. As someone else mentioned, I would love a 12” iPad. I reckon it‘d still be pretty portable, but big enough to enjoy some of the 12.9” perks (mainly split screen and overall surface/screen area for more content.”

I also wish 512GB would stop being limited to “Pro”/premium iOS devices. iPhone 12 and iPad Air 4 fulfill my usage needs without going Pro, but I would love a little more storage space to grow into.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I believe they would work with the new iPads. While there is no certain way we can say for sure because we don't work for Apple, I believe they will stay with the design. There's no reason why they need to change up the design, its only 2 years old. All that R&D to create the design and change it? And they they also invested a lot in the keyboard design, it cost a pretty penny but they want people buying the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.