Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’m hoping they make the 2021 work with the Magic Keyboard. I honestly don’t see how they can improve the Magic Keyboard. There really isn’t any place to put a function row of keys, plus there are already shortcut workarounds. I can see possibly a new Apple Pencil with color options. I could see the Magic Keyboard being somehow updated in 2022 but not this year. I think the 2021 iPad Pro will look like the 2020 but with slightly smaller bezels and all the big internal improvements. If it works with Magic Keyboard, I am 100% replacing my 2018 12.9.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Force touch trackpad and some fn keys along with a different finish or colors. I don’t expect the current magic keyboard to work. Or if it does, then a MK2 to go along with this one

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's meant to be half a mm thicker, otherwise unchanged in dimensions or design, so if they do break compatibility it will be a deliberate decision to do so - but I don't think the extra revenue they would get would be worth the hassle of making and shipping and stocking another Magic Keyboard SKU, and losing out on sales for 2018/2020 iPads if they discontinue the old one.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Latest rumour today is new magic keyboard coming in March for new iPads

so hope current one will still work though. Wonder how gen 2 will improve things. Bigger trackpad? Function keys?

Reactions: Dave245

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

so hope current one will still work though. Wonder how gen 2 will improve things. Bigger trackpad? Function keys?
That would be where I'd place my bet. Slightly bigger track pad and function keys. It could just be function keys. Just enough change to get people to upgrade while allowing the Gen 1 to still work on newer ipads. We can only hope they improve the materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Game 161

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007

I havent heard any rumor about a new keyboard but that would be AWESOME any further info..how about a new apple pencil?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Wouldn’t surprise me if they do release a new MK, but I don’t think it will make the gen 1 obsolete, I think the new iPP’s will be compatible with both...

I am hoping for a better material, function keys and a tablet mode.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah i mean the 2018 iPads worked with the magic keyboard so would hope the 2nd gen MK will as well.

Surely it will have function keys and a bigger trackpad. They have to add things thats good enough to get people to upgrade to certainly if it remains at £349

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Yeah i mean the 2018 iPads worked with the magic keyboard so would hope the 2nd gen MK will as well.

Surely it will have function keys and a bigger trackpad. They have to add things thats good enough to get people to upgrade to certainly if it remains at £349
Totally agree. Really hope it’s compatible because that would probably be enough to keep my 2018 for a year more to maximize the usage of my Magic Keyboard as well. $350 is a lot to spend on a yearly basis for an accessory. I think you’re right in that the 2020 Magic Keyboard will likely be compatible with the 2021 iPad Pro, but if they do offer a new one, it will have a (wider?) trackpad, function row of keys, and maybe offered in leather and different colors?

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Totally agree. Really hope it’s compatible because that would probably be enough to keep my 2018 for a year more to maximize the usage of my Magic Keyboard as well. $350 is a lot to spend on a yearly basis for an accessory. I think you’re right in that the 2020 Magic Keyboard will likely be compatible with the 2021 iPad Pro, but if they do offer a new one, it will have a (wider?) trackpad, function row of keys, and maybe offered in leather and different colors?

Yeah I imagine so my only fear is if the material is different then could we see a price increase? That would be a massive turn off for many people.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Yeah I imagine so my only fear is if the material is different then could we see a price increase? That would be a massive turn off for many people.
Yeah good point. I could see a leather Magic Keyboard with wider trackpad, possibly function row (although where’s the room it there wasn’t room on the first Magic Keyboard?), and different colors costing $399. That’d be a bitter pill to swallow. With that said, I have no regrets about spending $350 on my Magic Keyboard. One of the best accessories Apple has ever made. It’s a better physical keyboard and typing experience than my 2017 MacBook Pro, backlit keys, USB-C charging port, great trackpad even if small, and very solid build and design. The seamless integration and easy detach for note taking and typing/browsing is too good. Not much to dislike and not much to improve upon…except price!

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Next gen magic keyboard could have an extra contact so increase transfer rate for the usb port, giving that the old ipads only get contact with the old one in the same place.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Better outer material that wears less quick and doesn’t show fingerprints maybe?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Is there space enough to fit more keys and a larger trackpad on the same footprint?

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
If the other dimensions remain the same, the added 0.5mm thickness should not be a problem with the magic keyboard. I’v tried it out by adding 0.5 mm sheets of paper (measured 25, divided by 25, came to 5 sheets for a smidge over 0.5mm). It works. Even up to 0.8mm.

But: Apple being Apple, they might very well launch the Magic Keyboard 2, for an optimal fit and some ‘must have’ features ;). Curious!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Im thinking of upgrading since i had to sadly return do to financial issues and needed the money for a family emergency, but my question is, do you think that the new 2021 version which is rumored to be slightly thicker will still work with the magic keyboard? I certantly hope so, cause idk what to do with this thing if it doesnt....(Plus i miss not having an ipad at the moment)
I’m sure it will, I think Apple gave it its design to ensure that it covers the next few generations of iPad Pros, along with previous gen (2018).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.