Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much RAM will the New MacBook Pro have?

• 16GB

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • 32GB

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • User expandable up to 32GB

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
It almost makes so much sense to have the option of up to 32GB RAM that it wouldn't make sense to only offer up to 16GB

The Dell XPS 15 is the direct competition and it offers 32GB, and user expandable at that!

16GB would be ok with me but would it ever be great to have 32GB or at least the option do it yourself

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I would be surprised if the new MBP would not have up to 32GB. The max of 16GB has been there (unofficially) since something like 2011 or so, if my memory serves me right.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
They could easily throw 32GB RAM in; the CPU would definitely support that. Even my 2012 15" cMBP's CPU can address up to 32GB RAM. However it can only address a maximum of 8GB per slot, so as I've only got 2 RAM slots, I'm stuck at 16GB :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think they may, but Apple does have a history of undersizing the ram (heck, I remember seeing complaints about ram on the G4 cube), so while it may make sense, there's no guarantee. As others stated, if its there, the ram will be soldered onto the logic board.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I doubt it. There are few users that would be willing to buy a 32 GB upgrade and making each variants costs a considerable amount. I suspect it just would not make economic sense.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I doubt it. There are few users that would be willing to buy a 32 GB upgrade and making each variants costs a considerable amount. I suspect it just would not make economic sense.
Apple already has some pricey upgrades. Just look at the 1TB SSD option for the top-of-the-line iMac. It is an extra $700. So I do not think that would stop them. I have already run out of memory on my iMac with 20GB RAM a few times using the Adobe Suite, so I would be interested in having more than the 16GB RAM currently offered. And I am certain that I am not the only one.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Apple already has some pricey upgrades. Just look at the 1TB SSD option for the top-of-the-line iMac. It is an extra $700. So I do not think that would stop them. I have already run out of memory on my iMac with 20GB RAM a few times using the Adobe Suite, so I would be interested in having more than the 16GB RAM currently offered. And I am certain that I am not the only one.

How are you defining "running out of memory"?

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I believe it will definitely have a 32GB BTO option. No way Apple misses out on a serious upcharge potential for those who want more RAM.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
How are you defining "running out of memory"?
I have gotten a message similar to this (stolen from the internet):
oom.png

I have, however, just learned that apparently it has nothing to do with running out of RAM. It seems to be a bug with CS5 and CS6 and El Capitan (http://www.macworld.com/article/303...memory-and-old-software-on-new-platforms.html).

argentum47

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
I'd never run something as heavy that'd need 32 GB RAM on a laptop, but many people like having larger numbers for the satisfaction (and of course, there are also a small fraction of pro users who actually need it).

Which means it's some large amount of low hanging $$ to be raked by Apple, which they seem to like a lot recently. Given the low $/GB recently and how easy it is for Apple to implement, I'd very much expect a 32 GB option.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
So...I doubt it will be standard, but expect/hope it will be a CTO option, and not too extravagantly butt-raping prices.
Right now, I'm good w/16GB RAM but could use faster than my SATA SSD, and could leverage the extra RAM > 16GB to run more VMs.

I intend to keep the next MBP for at least 3, more likely 4+ years. Consider phone storage and phone/tablet CPU speeds and onboard RAM and storage and their trend over the past 4 years, as well as the relatively software size and RAM requirements as we move into 4K video editing, larger and larger DSLR and camera sensors, etc...all of this can move the bar from 'more than or enough today' to 'wow, I need more RAM to get 'basic' things done' fairly quickly.

Like someone mentioned, Apple doesn't shy away from a nice customer butt-raping on RAM and SSD 'upgrade' pricing, so I'm expecting them to likely allow for 4x soldered modules onboard, reducing their cost to provide 16GB or 32GB while keeping those Apple profit margins up.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll be doing if they do not offer a 32GB RAM option, as we can pretty much say it's unlikely to be user-upgradeable.. I guess at that point I pass on the new model, upgrade my 2011MBP SSD to a 1TB Samsung, and wait to see what Kaby Lake models bring in a year or so.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Like someone mentioned, Apple doesn't shy away from a nice customer butt-raping on RAM and SSD 'upgrade' pricing, so I'm expecting them to likely allow for 4x soldered modules onboard, reducing their cost to provide 16GB or 32GB while keeping those Apple profit margins up.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll be doing if they do not offer a 32GB RAM option, as we can pretty much say it's unlikely to be user-upgradeable.. I guess at that point I pass on the new model, upgrade my 2011MBP SSD to a 1TB Samsung, and wait to see what Kaby Lake models bring in a year or so.

I'm fully expecting a 32 GB upgrade to come without any lube, I just hope its not too severe. If it is too outlandish or they don't offer a 32 GB option, then I will be forced to wait it out too and continue using what I have for another cycle or two. I can't justify spending over $3,500 on a laptop that doesn't come with the specs to carry me through at least the next 3 years. When I'm out in the field, I have to efficiently edit full-frame 35mm 4K video at 60 fps while simultaneously editing 70 megabyte images at a high rate of speed. I sure hope Apple's new MacBook Pro delivers the goods.

Reactions: wegster

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I'm fully expecting a 32 GB upgrade to come without any lube, I just hope its not too severe. If it is too outlandish or they don't offer a 32 GB option, then I will be forced to wait it out too and continue using what I have for another cycle or two. I can't justify spending over $3,500 on a laptop that doesn't come with the specs to carry me through at least the next 3 years. When I'm out in the field, I have to efficiently edit full-frame 35mm 4K video at 60 fps while simultaneously editing 70 megabyte images at a high rate of speed. I sure hope Apple's new MacBook Pro delivers the goods.

I'm with ya - my bolding above is exactly my point as well.
If Apple's going to forcefully remove the ability to extend useful life via user-upgradeable bits (RAM, storage (easily/at competitive prices, anyways)), then that $3k or more had damned well be 'good enough' for 4-5 years. I can 'afford' it, and working in tech I certainly love new shiny tech as much or more than the next guy, but that doesn't mean I can justify it or that I even want to try to.

Fingers crossed.. :)

Starlock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
Minnesota
They need to go much HIGHER! 16gb is nonsense, 32gb is the bare minimum, 64gb is frankly needed, and 128gb would be ideal. If it's not user upgradable and they want these to be PRO machines, then they SHOULD offer us the ability to upgrade at time of purchase. A lot of you will think the above is overkill, but I can guarantee you I'd be using all of it if I had the chance. But I doubt we'll see more than 32gb :(

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I have a machine with 4TB RAM at work. I'm set for the next few years :p

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
They need to go much HIGHER! 16gb is nonsense, 32gb is the bare minimum, 64gb is frankly needed, and 128gb would be ideal. If it's not user upgradable and they want these to be PRO machines, then they SHOULD offer us the ability to upgrade at time of purchase. A lot of you will think the above is overkill, but I can guarantee you I'd be using all of it if I had the chance. But I doubt we'll see more than 32gb :(
Maybe you should look into a Mac Pro.

Starlock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
Minnesota

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.