Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Would it be a "Pro" version?
iPad mini 5?

or they're going to overlook it for now?
no ones mentions it when they speak of the upcoming "September 7th event" but it really fits the lifecycle.

So what do you guys say?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I sure hope so. To me, the mini is the best size for an iPad and I would be very, very sad to see it go. I know I'm not the only one, even if I'm in the minority. I'd also be kind of surprised - it's often reasoned that the iPhone 6/6s Plus fills the mini's space, but you need a service plan for that, unlike the iPad, plus there still is a significant difference in size between the two devices.

When you look at the mini's history though, it seems to be on somewhat of a tick-tock upgrade cycle, with the mini 2 and 4 offering somewhat more interesting upgrades than the mini 3, which if I recall correctly pretty much just got the Touch ID button but was more or less identical to the mini 2 in every other way. So, with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the mini got a less significant upgrade this year, and if that happens, given this history, it may or may not mean they're phasing it out. We'll see, but I will say that the iPad mini 4 is by far the best iPad I've ever owned personally, and one of my favorite Apple products I've ever owned as well, so I really, really hope it has a future.

Edited to add that the only things I'd really like to see added at this point to the mini are a 256gb option, Pencil support, and maybe battery life that's a bit better. If the mini continues its upgrade pattern, I definitely think those are things we could see. Other than that though, it really is a great device that I think is often underrated.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It feels to me that Apple are slowly fading out with the mini.
I don't get the basis for this assumption. Apple has updated the iPad mini every year since it came out. Sure, one year all they did was add Touch ID and another color option, but it was updated regardless. Now the iPad mini just has a one generation old processor.

If the iPad mini 4 got the A9, I doubt anyone would assume the mini would be discontinued anytime soon.

Reactions: boston04and07

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It feels to me that Apple are slowly fading out with the mini.

I'm curious why you think so. I don't really expect the Mini to get a major update every year, in fact, I don't know that any iPad line will, but the Mini is still popular. The Mini 2 and Mini 4 actually outsold all of the larger iPad models last holiday season. As long as it is priced competitively relative to other iPads, the Mini will sell and I don't see any reason for Apple to abandon it. Contrary to popular belief, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the plus sized iPhones are replacing the smaller iPad. Certainly not like how iPhones led to the decline of iPods.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I would be surprised and saddened if the iPad mini was not updated in some way. It is a wonderful device; I have a mini 2 that I use as a night reader, and it is perfect for my needs. I have an Air 2 for productivity stuff, but I almost exclusively use the mini while at home. I am eagerly looking forward to an update. The mini 2 isn't feeling slow yet, especially as iOS 10 seems to have given it another lease on life, but I would happily buy another one at some point in the next year :)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I would be surprised and saddened if the iPad mini was not updated in some way. It is a wonderful device; I have a mini 2 that I use as a night reader, and it is perfect for my needs. I have an Air 2 for productivity stuff, but I almost exclusively use the mini while at home. I am eagerly looking forward to an update. The mini 2 isn't feeling slow yet, especially as iOS 10 seems to have given it another lease on life, but I would happily buy another one at some point in the next year :)
That's weird. Little background, long story short: I upgraded my Wi-Fi iPad Air 2 to a cellular model for super cheap and gave my dad the Wi-Fi model. He had an iPad mini 2 he barely used because it was kind of slow, so he gave that to me when he got my iPad.

I absolutely loved the size for portability, but using it was so frustrating sometimes. I would usually take my iPad Air 2 out with me since it was the cellular model and I had unlimited data, then plug it in when I got home and use the iPad mini 2 for basic stuff. A lot of times I wound up just using my MacBook Pro for stuff I'd normally do on a tablet. But the size was so awesome that I couldn't help but upgrade to the iPad mini 4 next time Best Buy had a $100 off sale. Got the cellular model for that, too.

I usually take my iPad mini 4 with me when I go out, but I still prefer using the iPad Air 2 when I can, which is why I use it exclusively at home while my iPad mini 4 stays on the charger. I can't sit there playing on my iPad mini 4 while I have a bigger iPad that's also much easier to type on in landscape right by me, but I'm spoiled on the mini's size when I go out since I'm able to slip it into many of my pockets if I absolutely have to.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't get the basis for this assumption. Apple has updated the iPad mini every year since it came out. Sure, one year all they did was add Touch ID and another color option, but it was updated regardless. Now the iPad mini just has a one generation old processor.

If the iPad mini 4 got the A9, I doubt anyone would assume the mini would be discontinued anytime soon.
for the simple fact the last time they upgraded it the mini barely got a mention. No examples of what it did all they showed was the spec sheet. Got no coverage at all.

And now with the rumours of the the next lineup of iPads coming in 3 size options

It just feels like to me they aren't really putting much focus in the mini lineup. Maybe they see with the plus iPhone the mini isn't seen as a big need.

Hope I'm wrong as for many the mini is a great little device. However reason I got rid of the mini was I was using my plus model less which I didn't want to do.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
for the simple fact the last time they upgraded it the mini barely got a mention. No examples of what it did all they showed was the spec sheet. Got no coverage at all.

And now with the rumours of the the next lineup of iPads coming in 3 size options

It just feels like to me they aren't really putting much focus in the mini lineup. Maybe they see with the plus iPhone the mini isn't seen as a big need.

Hope I'm wrong as for many the mini is a great little device. However reason I got rid of the mini was I was using my plus model less which I didn't want to do.
Because Apple had other things to talk about, like a brand new class of iPad. Macs get updated every year without any kind of announcement. Most of the time it's just a spec bump and not exciting or worth mentioning.

The iPad mini could be on its way out, but I don't think there's enough evidence yet to assume it is.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Well, the iPad Mini would be due for a refresh. I am not interested in it but for those who are it'd be the cherry on top if we see it next week.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Would love to see True Tone, Pencil support and an improved camera in a new mini. 4 Speaker support would be welcome but the constraints of the smaller chassis may make this unlikely and the benefit would not be a good as the larger iPads. No point in even discussing RAM I guess.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I would love to see an updated Mini again, but I fear that Apple is or has abandoned the line with no significant improvements since the Mini 2 and only giving Touch ID and a gold color option to the Mini 3 the other year.

The Mini is for me, the perfect sized tablet. It's not too big and its not too small and I'm not interested in phablets or Plus sized iPhones to use in its place. The Mini 2 I have right now is still working well, but as iOS updates keep coming over the years, I know it won't be able to keep up and run smoothly forever.

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I would love to see an updated Mini again, but I fear that Apple is or has abandoned the line with no significant improvements since the Mini 3 and only giving Touch ID and a gold color option to the Mini 4 the other year.

Touch ID came with the mini 3. The 4 got an improved processor, RAM, screen, camera and wifi. It was an excellent update IMHO.

Reactions: Channan

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Touch ID came with the mini 3. The 4 got an improved processor, RAM, screen, camera and wifi. It was an excellent update IMHO.
Ahh yes, you are correct. I always forget which one I have for some reason and then that means I have the Mini 2 and not the 3.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

Yeah, I went from a mini 2 to a 4 and I can attest to the fact that it is definitely a worthwhile and substantial update. Honestly when I first got the 4 it felt like night and day. The device was so much faster, apps stayed active in the background more, the battery life was better, and the screen was just something else indeed. Of course, it was an update as opposed to an entirely new class of device, but still. They have given the mini at least some attention and updated it every year, even if the updates themselves were sometimes pretty lame (I'm looking at you, mini 3). I'd be way more concerned if the mini 2 or 3 was still the main mini being sold without any updates at all.

Reactions: Channan and S.B.G

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yeah, I went from a mini 2 to a 4 and I can attest to the fact that it is definitely a worthwhile and substantial update. Honestly when I first got the 4 it felt like night and day. The device was so much faster, apps stayed active in the background more, the battery life was better, and the screen was just something else indeed. Of course, it was an update as opposed to an entirely new class of device, but still. They have given the mini at least some attention and updated it every year, even if the updates themselves were sometimes pretty lame (I'm looking at you, mini 3). I'd be way more concerned if the mini 2 or 3 was still the main mini being sold without any updates at all.
Same. I had a mini 2 and it was a drag to use sometimes. I love my mini 4.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The jump to 2GB was huge for the iPad range - made such a difference. The jump to 4GB on the 12.9" is not as noticeable but I would love to see all the range move to 4GB to allow developers make the most of the additional RAM even though iOS itself doesn't require it.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Same. I had a mini 2 and it was a drag to use sometimes. I love my mini 4.

I just upgraded from a mini to a mini 2 and almost returned it but iOS 10 made it brand new again. The A7 may be getting old but the chip was ahead of its time and should hold up. Yes ram has it limitations but overall the device feels fast still and iOS 10 made browsing in safari doable. iOS 9 was a nightmare for some reason on the mini 2. Even the keyboard is snappier when going to type in a web page address. I'm glad you like your mini 4 though great device !

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I just upgraded from a mini to a mini 2 and almost returned it but iOS 10 made it brand new again. The A7 may be getting old but the chip was ahead of its time and should hold up. Yes ram has it limitations but overall the device feels fast still and iOS 10 made browsing in safari doable. iOS 9 was a nightmare for some reason on the mini 2. Even the keyboard is snappier when going to type in a web page address. I'm glad you like your mini 4 though great device !
I can believe that. My iPad Air 2 never felt like a slouch, but iOS 10 makes it feel faster than it was when I got it. I'm eager to get the final release on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4, but I'm also curious how the iPad mini 2 would handle it. I'll probably never find out though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.