Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I just upgraded from a mini to a mini 2 and almost returned it but iOS 10 made it brand new again. The A7 may be getting old but the chip was ahead of its time and should hold up. Yes ram has it limitations but overall the device feels fast still and iOS 10 made browsing in safari doable. iOS 9 was a nightmare for some reason on the mini 2. Even the keyboard is snappier when going to type in a web page address. I'm glad you like your mini 4 though great device !

I can believe that. My iPad Air 2 never felt like a slouch, but iOS 10 makes it feel faster than it was when I got it. I'm eager to get the final release on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4, but I'm also curious how the iPad mini 2 would handle it. I'll probably never find out though.

It's nice to hear that iOS 10 is actually improving device performance. Maybe people around here will stop going on about how updates cripple devices and you should never install a major update.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I can believe that. My iPad Air 2 never felt like a slouch, but iOS 10 makes it feel faster than it was when I got it. I'm eager to get the final release on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4, but I'm also curious how the iPad mini 2 would handle it. I'll probably never find out though.
I have every intention of updating my Mini 2 to iOS 10 and don't expect it to cause any issues. iOS 9 is running well for me even though I know its slower than my iPhone 6s of course. But its not annoyingly slow like the iPad 3 was before I got rid of it.

Reactions: boston04and07

Guyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I actually want the mini to get a "Pro" version just so the mini 4 would see a price decline and I could get one just for books and casual usage.
I think the 4 is fantastic, so might be a bit weird of a reason, but that's my heart wish..

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I actually want the mini to get a "Pro" version just so the mini 4 would see a price decline and I could get one just for books and casual usage.
I think the 4 is fantastic, so might be a bit weird of a reason, but that's my heart wish..
Yeah, I can see that too and would welcome it. All I really use my Mini 2 for is reading articles, Kindle books, MacRumors and Twitter. Those are the primary things I use it for and they're not overly taxing either.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm torn about an update for the mini. I love my mini 4 and since it is my travel companion, the 64GB is an ideal capacity. If the mini became a Pro with the 32/128GB structure, the 32GB would be limiting for travel and the 128GB overkill. Definitely would appreciate Pencil support and an improved camera though.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Even if there isn't a new mini this year I expect to see a price drop of the mini 4. It doesn't make sense to keep it priced the same as the Air 2, so I think by the end of the year it will be cheaper.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Even if there isn't a new mini this year I expect to see a price drop of the mini 4. It doesn't make sense to keep it priced the same as the Air 2, so I think by the end of the year it will be cheaper.
I would like to see that as well if no new one is released. I'd be tempted to move from my Mini 2 to the 4 at that point.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do you live in the US? If so, you should have taken advantage of Best Buy's sales by now. $100 off the mini 4 regularly.
Yeah I've seen the deals. I haven't been ready to upgrade yet. I'm just speculating for down the road and waiting to see if Apple does release an updated Mini or not.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well whether Apple drops the price or not, I doubt you'll see much if any lower than $299 for an iPad mini 4. There's no way Beat Buy is knocking a significant amount of money off a $299 iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.