Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 915 66.6%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 57 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 308 22.4%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.2%

• Total voters

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
My go to is the otter box commuter case but this new phone is getting a apple leather case since I have apple care.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Apple clear case on mini 13. Love the look, appreciate the extra protection, but honestly my favorite feature is how the flashlight glows.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Used to use one but gives up since that old case doesn’t really prevent corner damage either.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Nope. Switched from a 14 PM with a case to a 13 mini without. Half the price and half the weight. Figure if it takes a fall and I need to buy another, it's a wash.

Reactions: dustin_

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yes on all of my iPhones barring the 5c. Tempered glass, too! My iPhone Xʀ has a tempered glass on the back as well.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Yes after 7 plus. Transparent case but never used screen protectors. I never used case before I moved larger iPhones, all my phones were well taken care with or with out case.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Nope. Switched from a 14 PM with a case to a 13 mini without. Half the price and half the weight. Figure if it takes a fall and I need to buy another, it's a wash.

Yes. This.

My journey went from iPhone 7 to iPhone 12 mini, which I loved. Both of them had the apple leather case which I also loved. I moved up to an iPhone 13 Pro last year and while I liked it I found it was just too much on the big and heavy side for me. Especially when adding a case. But it’s $1,000!

Decided the heck with an extra telephoto camera and ProMotion and grabbed myself a used 13 mini for half the price and so far have been case-less for months. No issues at all! Other than a small dinky dent from a drop on the corner. Love it!

Looking back, like really far back. I don’t recall using cases on my HTC Androids, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6s even. I think the first time I got a case was with my iPhone 7 since I splurged during preorder. And even then it probably wasn’t necessary.

My wife on the other hand absolutely 100% needs a case and her iPhone XS has made it this far. She is outdoors a lot rides horses drops at all the time gets it stepped on, and so forth. So yes, some people absolutely do need one.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
While I like the feel of a naked phone but for me a case is a must have. I do take it off the case at least once a week to clean it and admire it before it goes back in the case. 😆

Reactions: Andeddu and Warped9

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I drop things often and I do not want to pay for repairs. Cheapest way to provide some protection is a case.

I get other people do not want to use the case because of aesthetics or hand feel but I do not want to pay extra beyond the case.

The next extra cost should be an upgrade within 24 months.

When it breaks you have to spend time to fix. :-|

I have a

- 2015 Google Nexus 6P with a OLED burn-in, bootloop and battery problem
- 2017 Essential PH-1 with a cracked screen and battery problem

I wish I never bought them to learn Android as the time and money it took to have em fixed made me just not pursue it.

The $50 Android I bought in 2014 was a better purchase. If it breaks... it's just 1 person's week's groceries.

Last edited:

lybentius

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2021
Probably 85% of the time I do and 15% I dont. Accidents happen and I don't have unlimited money lol. But the 13 pro is such a nice looking phone to not use without a case sometimes.

Also it feels much more modern and sleek using it without a case. Probably due to there being less of an apparent bezel.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
No, I use only the Apple MagSafe wallet on my iPhone 13 mini. The combination keeps the iPhone small, easily usable with 1 hand, and makes the iPhone much more grippable for me. I have not dropped it in nearly 1.5 years of daily use.

Reactions: sunapple

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
My favorite iPhone I ever owned was my Jet Black iPhone 7. Why? Probably because I always used it without a case. And Jet Black is awesome.

I’ve owned like 10 iPhones and for others I always used a case. Even screen protectors. Seems that makes it less memorable. Plastic cases, soft screen protectors, they are pretty horrible to use.

So now I have been using my 13 mini without a case again. Bit worried about the inevitable drop but this model happens to be easy to grip due to its size. We’ll see.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
Yes - I have several (I may or may not have a problem 🤣). I dropped my 13 mini frequently but so far in almost 5 months haven’t dropped the 14 pm once. But still don’t want to use the time (or money)on repairs if I can avoid it. I also like the feel of the phone with a case better

• Love
Reactions: Splitrail

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Spigen Tough Armour for my brand new 14 Pro Max. It adds a little bulk, but I've been using them since the iPhone 4, and it's saved at least three phones from destruction in the past.
IMG_0198-2.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Reactions: Andeddu

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Which what…?

Means that those who don't use cases are not taking care of their things?

I have a 6s+ in very good condition that has never seen a case.

My 11PM has never seen a case. Aside from the fact that it's only a year old, it's in very good condition.
It’s about managing risks.

You can either hedge on responsibility or probability. I’m not a gambler.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Used cases on my X and Xs previously, tried it on 13mini but it is quite felt as an obstacle for typing and swiping at the screen borders (too close and slightly too protruding rubber). So I removed it again and it looks / feels much better again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.