Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have (selling actually) a Sunpak c.pl . I bought it from Shutter Bug for like $35 years ago. It is a decent brand.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-52mm-Neutral-Density-Filter/dp/B00004ZCB5

is this a decent neutral density filter?

Or any other suggestions. My budget is 50 bucks. 52mm

I generally stick with B+W neutral density filters, but they are out of your price range.

I will mention that it's cheaper (in my opinion) to just stick with one standard filter size - 77mm is a good one - and use step-up rings for your lenses that have a smaller filter thread. That way you don't end up buying multiple polarizers, ND filters, etc. as you add to your lens collection.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
yes, i use a filter for my lens. but i do use the ones from best buy. the brand is "SUNPAK" are they any good? i have a UV filter and a neutral density filter. the neutral density filter is awesome and works very well. i just wouldn't be able to compare it to any other filter though..soo what are good quality filter brands?
Several good brands are B+H, Heliopan (both German made) and Hoya (the high end filters.) Not cheap, though.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Several good brands are B+H, Heliopan (both German made) and Hoya (the high end filters.) Not cheap, though.
Nikon's filters are also first rate, and expensive. I have their 77mm circular polarizer for the rare occasion I go to the trouble of using one. My UVs are B+W and Hoya.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Even the best filters reduce your lens's resolving power. I can't find the source any longer, but my recollection was that it's on the order of 15lp/mm. If you shoot in places where the front lens element might be exposed to salt water or sand, then a filter may be advantageous in those situations, though I'd generally go with a multi-coated clear filter personally, rather than a UV filter. My favorites are B+W, but I don't currently carry any with my digital kit, as I think the negative affects are more visible on digital than they were on film- but I shoot with a D2x and D3x, both of which are high enough resolution sensors that they can challenge some lenses.

For straight ND filters, I prefer to use the 100cm square gels and a holder rather than the screw-on ones- it's easier to stack the filters and one filter and holder covers pretty-much any lens you'd put an ND on, the Lee Gelsnap works for me, with an additonal ND4.00 from Kodak (13 1/3 stops)- they now hide that filter in the Cinema collection.

Paul

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I used to be a big user of filters but i have all but stopped and noticed that my image quality has gone up. I do admit they were cheap filters. I do see the merit like one person said when doing extreme activities dirt bike track jungle safari etc. My normal usage i through the hood on and go. I have been doing lots of studio work as of late so they are just off period. I get the flare i payed for when i use straight glass. I like what some one said why would you pay 1300 bucks for a lens and put a 150 dollar filter on it. Your choking that massive lens. If you need it for conditions they are life savers but every day use i just do not see it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
the one filter i would love to get is the vari-ND Singh-Ray filter. It is super expensive at $400 though..

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
the one filter i would love to get is the vari-ND Singh-Ray filter. It is super expensive at $400 though..

It's a very fun filter to use! Yes it's expensive, but as long as you take care of it the thing will probably last a decade or two.

I'm hoping to get their Color Combo sometime, but I'll have to save up for it (like I did with the Vari-ND). Plus I think higher on my priority list is one of the newish Nikon PC lenses - and that's going to take saving up for a while (talk about expensive...). Darn real life, having to make house payments and buy food! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.