Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I used to, but stopped using filters full time as protection.

The front element of the lens is pretty tough and I just ensure that I clean it regularly and properly.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I took pictures with D30/Tamron 28-75mm/Hoya UV filter for a few days. So far, I have not seen any visible degradation on the image quality.
These pictures were taken with the Tamron lens with UV filter on it:
Harriman Reservori in VT (country side)
_MG_0517.jpg

City scape of Midtown Manhattan from NJ (opposite of country side)
_MG_0311.jpg

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Is there anything wrong with placing UV filters and the lense hood on? Is this pointless or do they each have a benefit? What is the main purpose of a UV filter? Thanks.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
macdaddy121 said:
Is there anything wrong with placing UV filters and the lense hood on? Is this pointless or do they each have a benefit? What is the main purpose of a UV filter? Thanks.

The main purpose of a UV filter is to block out ultra violet light rays that would produce a hazy effect on film photos. This usually occurred on clear, brightly sunny days. With digital cameras, the sensors are not as sensitive to UV rays and are not subjected to the haze except at high altitudes.

Somewhere in history, a salesperson decided to push UV filters as "protection". As you can see this is highly debated, but I only use filters when I need an effect produced by them. I would only use a transparent filter for protection when there is blowing sand, dirt, or dust in the air (desert, hurricane, tornado, etc.). The front glass element is already very tough and anything strong enough to break through a filter will damage the lens and glass.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
macdaddy121 said:
Actually, both pictures were taken with the OEM hood AND UV filter. The compatible UV filter would allow you to use the hood without any problem.
UV filter on my lens just gives me a peace of mind that I don't scratch the actual lens by mistake. However, I have not put it on my macro lens (Canon 100 mm f/2.8) as it is not used as walk around lens. I am not going to use it in a raining or nasty weather.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
bep207 said:
i use the UV filter for lens protection from scratches
That is also my main reason for using UV filters (protection from UV ray is secondary to this main reason). I noticed sometimes the lens cap get loose in my camera bag and lens is exposed inside the bag. The added protection by UV filter would certainly prevent an accidental scratching. So far, my experiment with the UV filters have been okay as those filters have not affected the image quality negatively. My take is UV filters (at least the good ones) have neutral effect on the image qualities.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
YS2003 said:
That is also my main reason for using UV filters (protection from UV ray is secondary to this main reason). I noticed sometimes the lens cap get loose in my camera bag and lens is exposed inside the bag. The added protection by UV filter would certainly prevent an accidental scratching. So far, my experiment with the UV filters have been okay as those filters have not affected the image quality negatively. My take is UV filters (at least the good ones) have neutral effect on the image qualities.
I've never seen any of my lenses caps come off unnecessarily in my bag. Though the front element of my 50mm 1.8 came out once, but that was another story.

imnotatfault

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
I don't even think it's so much for the accidental cap removal than it is for big, clumsy fingers (which I will attest to having). And along with that, keeping dust off of the main lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.