Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Dearest mac user,

I need your habits and opinions, concerning the use of your macbook.

Are you from the team, I automatically hide my dock and enjoy the whole screen and you access your applications with shortcuts or spotlight OR you let your dock displayed permanently?

I used to use the dock to display permanently but now I disable it and I find it better.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely

Have the courage to follow your heart and your intuition. Both know what you really want to become. The rest is secondary.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I don't have MacBook Pro but I do have Mac though. I did start off permanent dock then some point I changed it to hide. Dock didn't bother me but I can't remember reason why I decided to hide it and since that I prefer it that way and keep it that way. If I need dock just move cursor bottom of screen. I like full screen wallpaper, looks nice.

Reactions: Roitrunks

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I don't have MacBook Pro but I do have Mac though. I did start off permanent dock then some point I changed it to hide. Dock didn't bother me but I can't remember reason why I decided to hide it and since that I prefer it that way and keep it that way. If I need dock just move cursor bottom of screen. I like full screen wallpaper, looks nice.
I agree with you, the dock is nice but having the full screen all the time saves space on the screen, it's nice

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Dock for most used applications (I do not want to search for something I use daily), and I rely on Spotlight for searching other stuff and apps.

I do not have way of confirming it, but I am pretty sure Dock was meant to hold the apps you use frequently, not to be packed with apps that you open once in a blue moon.

Although I also have Applications folder in my dock. I find it convenient too.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I auto hide the dock and have removed all applications from staying in the dock so it only ever displays open apps. If nothing is open all I see is the Finder icon and trash can. If I need to open an app I use Alfred search and quick switch with Command + Tab or with a mapped button my mouse that opens mission control. I'm really excited to see how Stage Manager might fit its way into my workflow but sadly cannot upgrade macOS version until a critical mass of power users report stability.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Dock for most used applications (I do not want to search for something I use daily), and I rely on Spotlight for searching other stuff and apps.

I do not have way of confirming it, but I am pretty sure Dock was meant to hold the apps you use frequently, not to be packed with apps that you open once in a blue moon.

Although I also have Applications folder in my dock. I find it convenient too.
the application file system in the dock very ingenious

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I auto hide the dock and have removed all applications from staying in the dock so it only ever displays open apps. If nothing is open all I see is the Finder icon and trash can. If I need to open an app I use Alfred search and quick switch with Command + Tab or with a mapped button my mouse that opens mission control. I'm really excited to see how Stage Manager might fit its way into my workflow but sadly cannot upgrade macOS version until a critical mass of power users report stability.
I like my old habits I am not a fan of stage manager...

Reactions: zakarhino

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Dock hidden. I've modified the timing the animation for it to re-appear, as well. You can make it "snap" back into place, if you want, but I've just speed up the animation a little bit so it's not as leisurely. Makes it more usable, IMO.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I keep the dock visible on the left side where is has less space impact since the screens are wider than tall. I like to have it visible as I do a lot of drag and drop of files. I use it for task switching. Yes there are other methods and I use them sometimes but I also like using the dock for that.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Dock hidden. I've modified the timing the animation for it to re-appear, as well. You can make it "snap" back into place, if you want, but I've just speed up the animation a little bit so it's not as leisurely. Makes it more usable, IMO.
All the same with a command line with the terminal.

now my dock is doped xD

Reactions: cateye and Tagbert

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I keep the dock visible on the left side where is has less space impact since the screens are wider than tall. I like to have it visible as I do a lot of drag and drop of files. I use it for task switching. Yes there are other methods and I use them sometimes but I also like using the dock for that.
I should try the left dock one day

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
On my old 2015 13 in MBP, I keep the Dock and Global Menu Bar hidden. On my M1 only menu bar is hidden. When I had an external monitor connected I kept both on because I had so much screen real estate.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
On my old 2015 13 in MBP, I keep the Dock and Global Menu Bar hidden. On my M1 only menu bar is hidden. When I had an external monitor connected I kept both on because I had so much screen real estate.
when I use my external monitor I will do as you do

Reactions: Mr. Dee

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
auto-hide for the Dock
95% of my app handling is done via Spotlight, CMD+TAB, Exposé, etc.
for the remaining 5% i'm still using the Dock, or that iOS app launcher interface, which are also nice to use sometimes.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to rant about something: I would use Dock autohiding if it worked properly. Unfortunately, it does not, so I keep it always visible, wasting precious space on my screen in the process.

The problem with Dock autohiding is that if I accidentally touch the bottom edge of my screen with my mouse for even one moment, the Dock unhides, covering up whatever content was already there. This is annoying.

It is possible to add a delay before the Dock unhides, but then it takes longer to access the Dock.

Now, you might say this is just an inherent tradeoff between ease of use and screen real estate. But Apple themselves came up with a better solution!

Open an app and click the green traffic light icon to enter full screen. The Dock hides! Now, move your mouse just to the bottom edge of your screen. The Dock... will still be hidden! To unhide the Dock, you have to keep moving your mouse down past the bottom edge of the screen, and the Dock will unhide!

It's genius! I love it! The Dock has worked this way in full screen mode ever since full screen was added in OS X Lion. But for some reason, if you enable Dock autohiding outside of full screen mode, it continues to work the old and stupid way.

Why? No clue! It used to be that every year when Apple released an OS X update, I would check to see if they'd fixed this, and made Dock autohiding work the same way both inside and outside of full screen mode. After a decade, I finally gave up hope.

Leave it to Apple to take a seemingly-intractable UI problem, come up with a brilliant solution for the problem, and then not use it. Sigh.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to rant about something: I would use Dock autohiding if it worked properly. Unfortunately, it does not, so I keep it always visible, wasting precious space on my screen in the process.

The problem with Dock autohiding is that if I accidentally touch the bottom edge of my screen with my mouse for even one moment, the Dock unhides, covering up whatever content was already there. This is annoying.

It is possible to add a delay before the Dock unhides, but then it takes longer to access the Dock.

Now, you might say this is just an inherent tradeoff between ease of use and screen real estate. But Apple themselves came up with a better solution!

Open an app and click the green traffic light icon to enter full screen. The Dock hides! Now, move your mouse just to the bottom edge of your screen. The Dock... will still be hidden! To unhide the Dock, you have to keep moving your mouse down past the bottom edge of the screen, and the Dock will unhide!

It's genius! I love it! The Dock has worked this way in full screen mode ever since full screen was added in OS X Lion. But for some reason, if you enable Dock autohiding outside of full screen mode, it continues to work the old and stupid way.

Why? No clue! It used to be that every year when Apple released an OS X update, I would check to see if they'd fixed this, and made Dock autohiding work the same way both inside and outside of full screen mode. After a decade, I finally gave up hope.

Leave it to Apple to take a seemingly-intractable UI problem, come up with a brilliant solution for the problem, and then not use it. Sigh.
without questioning your word, indeed when you activate the full screen the dock is hidden and you really have to go looking for it, but even when I'm not in full screen I find that just passing the mouse over it and making it appear in less than a second suits me very well, I don't see the problem for the moment ahah?

Reactions: Tagbert

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I don't see the problem for the moment ahah?
I just find that I activate the Dock accidentally outside of fullscreen mode, and it's annoying enough that I keep the Dock always visible.

The way the Dock works in fullscreen mode is perfect and I wish I could use it everywhere.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I just find that I activate the Dock accidentally outside of fullscreen mode, and it's annoying enough that I keep the Dock always visible.

The way the Dock works in fullscreen mode is perfect and I wish I could use it everywhere.
oh i see, indeed I agree

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.