Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Most of the time I keep the dock hidden as it serves very little functionality in my daily workflow.

Reactions: Roitrunks

Skoua

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Paris
I hide it and use it solely to launch all my apps at startup and to drag some file to the Photoshop icon or whatever when needed. I really could live without it.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I rarely use the dock, so I hide it. Occasionally I use it for trash and access to my downloads folder. I do keep some utilities in the dock in case the computer has some problem and spotlight is failing me. But, that hasn't happened in over a year. Also, the dock is not so useful for me since it only shows up on one monitor; I have two external monitors and the laptop screen. In the end, I can't justify having it take up room.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I rarely use the dock, so I hide it. Occasionally I use it for trash and access to my downloads folder. I do keep some utilities in the dock in case the computer has some problem and spotlight is failing me. But, that hasn't happened in over a year. Also, the dock is not so useful for me since it only shows up on one monitor; I have two external monitors and the laptop screen. In the end, I can't justify having it take up room.
Wow! 3 screens and no room for the Dock? 😊

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I think the dock is not a problem on an external monitor

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I think the dock is not a problem on an external monitor
My bad; I wasn't clear.

The dock only appears on a single screen; whenever my mouse briefly pauses at the bottom of a screen, the dock moves to that screen. Since the dock is never in a predictable place, I would find it awkward to count on it for regular use.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
My bad; I wasn't clear.

The dock only appears on a single screen; whenever my mouse briefly pauses at the bottom of a screen, the dock moves to that screen. Since the dock is never in a predictable place, I would find it awkward to count on it for regular use.
Oh ok, i see

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I keep it visible to keep an eye on things (badges on some apps, other apps change icons to indicate something)

I also move it to the right side of the screen, since I keep different windows open and need more vertical than horizontal space

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
My dock is always visible, on the left side of the screen, and only contains running applications (plus Finder and Trash, of course).
How did you manage to make only the current applications appear on your dock?

jammyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
I've been having this internal discussion ever since switching to Mac. For years I have had mainly default Mac Apps plus Word, Excel and PowerPoint as I use those daily for work. Recently I have been optimising my MacBook Pro 14" as more of a work computer so now I only pin Finder, Calendar, Notes, Music, Settings and MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It seems to fit my workflow better not being distracted by all the other default apps.

Usually I keep the Dock on the bottom and hidden but occasionally when I'm switching around within Apps I unhide it. Also when I do focus work sometimes I switch it to the right hand side of the screen, somehow feels more natural and less distracting to live over there. I also try to use full screen apps where possible but not always possible switching between spreadsheets and presentation slides.

Well, that's me. Not sure if I'm unique but I do find the Dock more distracting these days than I used to. I try and keep messages, mail and FaceTime for my iPad and iPhone only so don't need to pin those to the dock

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
How did you manage to make only the current applications appear on your dock?
Pretty sure all I did was manually remove every app from the dock. I do have "Show indicators for open applications" toggled on in System Settings > Desktop & Dock, just as a visual confirmation that the app is running.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Je suis presque sûr que tout ce que j'ai fait, c'est de retirer manuellement chaque application du dock. J'ai des "indicateurs d'affichage pour les applications ouvertes" activés dans les paramètres système > Desktop & Dock, tout comme une confirmation visuelle que l'application est en cours d'exécution.
i see i see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.