Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Android slowdown with use over time?

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Yes, every Android device I have owned has slowed down over time. A lot of times a reset to factory will fix it for a while. This included my last S23 Ultra.

Reactions: dk001

danb1979

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Seems to be non Google phones slow down...

None of my Google phones slowed down; as mentioned above

Haven't kept a Samsung long enough to find out; they soon outstay their welcome with me

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I mean, yes of course they will over time just as with any piece of tech. Use a phone every day for years and not only will it collect cruft, but successive (and probably not optimised for older stuff) OS updates will take their toll.

I do wonder how the 7 year guarantee will actually work out in practice, especially now after (especially semi-private local) AI has become a thing. I think we'll probably be back in the early 2010's in that respect in that after probably three years your phone will start becoming very creaky, since the requirements for SLM's / MLM's will exponentially increase.

Reactions: dk001 and danb1979

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Yes, every Android device I have owned has slowed down over time. A lot of times a reset to factory will fix it for a while. This included my last S23 Ultra.

Any idea why?
I used the S23U for almost a year and my son now has it. Neither of us have seen any slowdown at all.
Be curious to see if the cause or causes can be identified.

TLuc

macrumors regular
May 27, 2024
Any idea why?
I used the S23U for almost a year and my son now has it. Neither of us have seen any slowdown at all.
Be curious to see if the cause or causes can be identified.
I own an S23U since launch and it's faster and smoother than ever, defiently better than the first few months after launch. So the reverse happened with the S23U, it got better. You can go on any S23U forum and most will say the same thing I wrote here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.