Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Nope. The idea of speaking to a computer in the office just seems dumb. Imagine if everyone did it. Fortunately I am the only one with a Mac in my workplace.

At home? Nope, there, the Significant Other is the one who calls instructions to me, not me to Siri.

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
YES! I do! My iMac is at the kitchen table and when I'm cooking I often activate Siri to "add sugar to the shopping list" or "set a timer for 20 minutes" or "remind me at 7.30 to do something".

My phone isn't always nearby - I may have left it in my bag in the hall, for instance, and in any case it's easier to press Cmd-Spacebar on my Mac than to use my phone when I have dirty hands from cooking.

I don't really use it for any other reasons, though. The trouble with any voice-activated control is that you don't know what it can understand and what it can't, so you assume the worst.

Reactions: LizKat

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
No.
Btw. its possible that Microsoft trashes Cortana from Win 10 this fall. They offer a Cortana app as optional install.
Apple should do the same.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Never, on any of my devices. I can't imagine speaking to a computer--it just seems weird. Plus, it's more efficient to use mouse/track pad and keyboard.

Reactions: colodane

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I sometimes have Siri enabled on an iPad. I wiil generally just use it to launch some music while I'm reading news on a laptop nearby. That's about it though.

I used to have it turned on on my phone out in the kitchen so I could update to-do lists and stuff while I was cooking or cleaning. But sometimes Siri came back with odd responses from having misunderstood me, which I in turn found distracting to have to try to get her to fix or go fix myself.

Now I just play around with it once in awhile for the heck of it. I like the idea. I think the implementation still needs work, or else Siri and I need to spend more time together so she gets more of what I say to her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.