Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
Are you sure luajit is needed. From what I remember it's disabled by default in the makefile.

dextructor

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Update:It took me a day and a few more hours to compile "libgcc7" and another whole day and a few many hours (so far compiling) for gcc7.

I think I will create an image of my HD with all these tools already compiled, and post for download for those who want to venture without going through this suffering that I am going through.

Please do it. I remember last month trying to compile mpv through macports on my A1139 took from Monday to almost Thursday with gcc and other dependencies to fail almost in the end with obvious frustration of my part. I hope that your port goes right after all of this

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
I need help, I found out that all my problems are centered on the imbecility of mac os x or macports, every time I try to make it, it looks for the damn gcc 4.2 instead of my newly compiled 7.5! I've already added variables and symlinks for 7.5, but every time I try to compile something, I get errors, and when I check the log, the compiler searched for stupid version 4.2 instead of 7.5.

I tried to compile eduke without luajit, but I got the error "'type_traits' file not found" which I believe is happening because the system is invoking version 4.2 instead of 7.5

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Please do it. I remember last month trying to compile mpv through macports on my A1139 took from Monday to almost Thursday with gcc and other dependencies to fail almost in the end with obvious frustration of my part. I hope that your port goes right after all of this
Definitely a ppc developer needs a G5 .. Unfortunately the G5 is extraordinarily expensive in my country, even for me who collect computer equipment.

I thought about overclocking my powerbook from 1.33 to 1.5ghz, but after reading your post, I gave up.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
@eyoungren has a G5 Quad sitting around he hasn't found a use for yet – maybe he could set it up so you can remotely log in and compile your projects on there... Just thinking loudly.

I thought about overclocking my powerbook from 1.33 to 1.5ghz, but after reading your post, I gave up.
As if that would make any difference with that kind of load...

Reactions: dextructor

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
if you're building manually you should be able to specify the compiler via make. this project uses cpp so make CXX=/path/to/gcc/7.5 etc

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Are you sure luajit is needed. From what I remember it's disabled by default in the makefile.

I was following the instructions in the eduke32 documentation, first I compiled all dependency libraries, the only one I couldn't get was luajit. Anyway, I couldn't compile eduke32 due to a problem with my system

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
yeah I compiled luajit thinking it was needed. but a closer look at the makefile shows the support is disabled by default. and the resulting binary doesn't even link to it. I think you can ignore it.

if the issue is the wrong gcc, see my earlier comment. you can select the compiler in the make command

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
yeah I compiled luajit thinking it was needed. but a closer look at the makefile shows the support is disabled by default. and the resulting binary doesn't even link to it. I think you can ignore it.

if the issue is the wrong gcc, see my earlier comment. you can select the compiler in the make command
I was not successful even using the command. When trying to compile, I get the error

ca.jpg

Last edited:

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
I had some success specifying everything in detail to the compiler.

make CC=gcc-mp-7 CXX=g++-mp-7 LDFLAGS="-static-libgcc7 -static-libstdc++.6"

I had a problem with "compat.h" in the memory management section, I deleted the problematic line just to see if it was possible to compile the rest without problems. Currently building without problems, I will soon post the results

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
But the intuition of doing for ppc is to keep the ppc platform active. I don't have to worry about arm, as every mobile developer will easily port everything to the new arm

I want PPC to survive believe me ! But when will there be a time when Leopard won’t be safe anymore, and what if Kaiser retires in 5 years or less ? Sadly, nothing lasts for ever.. now, if PPC lasts to 2030-2040 then that is a miracle.

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I want PPC to survive believe me ! But when will there be a time when Leopard won’t be safe anymore, and what if Kaiser retires in 5 years or less ? Sadly, nothing lasts for ever.. now, if PPC lasts to 2030-2040 then that is a miracle.

Somewhat related, without “optimizations” I offload web browsing to a headless mini running SL and Arctic Fox. Even Mac OS 9 can be a client.

Reactions: Rikintosh

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
  1. Leopard has not been safe since 2011. No amounts of firewalls can protect you from flaws in Leopard that can any web browser can be used to exploit. No one tests for Leopard exploits anymore, because no one is expected to use it. Never mind Tiger.
  2. PowerPC is not dead. It lives on in POWER and the OpenPOWER Foundation. Apple opted out of the future of PowerPC, IBM did not.
All things end. All things change. You keep on refusing to listen to people here, and keep on upsetting yourself. I don't know what else to tell you.

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Leopard is insecure since 2011. I dont use ppc to use tenfourfox, I haver a rig machine tô internet. Whateverer If have a browser to ppc, I still using It for Fun, not for work.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Well, I have no issues using 10fourfox to access my bank account and do ebay with my PPC using Leopard, but then again I am behind 5 firewalls.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Leopard is not safe anymore. :p

For some reason, Linux will not work on my 1ghz Titanium PB G4.. I still use Leopard, but I use it for browsing general webstuff, though I use 104FOX to access ebay and do monetary transactions from time to time, I am protected by stealth firewalls - 5 of them to be exact.

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
A question if I may. I want to target 10.4+ using Xcode 3.x. My Xcode 3.2.6 installation on SL couldn't display developer documentation correctly (blank pages). I could use latest documentation online instead but the compatibility information is sometimes hard to follow.

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I just switched to 3.1.4 which is for Leopard but works on SL. Apparently since Xcode 3.2 the full documentation no longer comes with the installer package.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
No amounts of firewalls can protect you from flaws in Leopard that can any web browser can be used to exploit. No one tests for Leopard exploits anymore, because no one is expected to use it. Never mind Tiger.

A firewall can't protect you, but a web browser can! If you're using TenFourFox you should be okay, it's just one layer of security but it's there. "Secure" is relative.

Last edited:
Reactions: repairedCheese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.