Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
In light of recent events (TikTok might become inaccessible in US) I thought that the Chinese app is not unique. And in fact it was never unique.

Does anyone here remember such thing as Vine?
1713963568838.png

Back in the days it was distributed exclusively via AppStore. I remember how fun it was to watch and shoot these 6 second videos. You can even find many of these videos archived on YouTube. Unlike tiktoks, rewatching vines is actually fun and nostalgic (at least to me, hehe. Maybe I am just old).

Back in 2012 it was my fav app apart from Instagram that was actually good back then: it was a simple hipster photo album that looked like a collection of Polaroid shots.

And I never had headache when I watched vines, unlike tiktoks (maybe it is just me, but I really felt dizzy after scrolling TikTok even for just 15 minutes).

It was a pity that the company went bankrupt. As far as I remember there were some issues with monetization.

Imagine if original developers decided to bring it back? I guess it would have been real deal again, at least in US and Europe.

UPD: just googled and turns out Musk was interested in reviving the video service. Interested how it turns out

Reactions: Chuckeee

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Hell yes. It was TikTok before TikTok. If I remember correctly they didn't go bankrupt. Twitter acquired them and then killed the service. Baffling.

Reactions: shadowboi

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Ooooh man my friends and I would get together in 2017 and watch Vine dank meme compilations and laugh so freakin hard. The shock value was totally there.

Now it feels like everyone's trying out for amateur hour at the comedy club so I don't think it would hit the same if it returned.

• Love

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Hell yes. It was TikTok before TikTok. If I remember correctly they didn't go bankrupt. Twitter acquired them and then killed the service. Baffling.

Yes It was an app call Musically first then turned into TikTok.

But I was a Vine junkie. I loved that app.

The interface was very nice to use because you could make cuts so easily with the video.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.