Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
trying to get an i5/512 from elsewhere, and if I get it in time with a discount I will return my i5/256 SKU.

I really don't want to return this i5/256, and restart playing the wait game again though for the special order of i5 + 256 , if this i5/512 order doesn't pan out with a discount.

...I know the retail stores have flexibility but is there some with online return policy? Towards the end of the week is the 2 weeks, and I might need just a few more days to see how things pan out and save myself even more unneeded hassle.

This is a one-off situation, and not something I would regularly want to exercise 'just cuz'

Would appreciate peoples' experiences vs. judgment for even asking.

Last edited:

simonlucas

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
London, UK
I believe you have 14 days to return the item once you’ve started the returns process, so effectively 28 days (or 24ish allowing for courier collection/return of the unwanted item).

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I believe you have 14 days to return the item once you’ve started the returns process, so effectively 28 days (or 24ish allowing for courier collection/return of the unwanted item).

really?

oh my, this would help SO much.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yep just did this with the 2019 Air I ordered the day before the 2020 released. Started a return on the last possible day (14th day after receiving) and actually sent it back 12 days AFTER that when the 2020 showed up. So I had it for 26 days total.

so if I received the item on a Thursday, I can initiate the return process on the Thursday after next without issue on that final day?

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
so if I received the item on a Thursday, I can initiate the return process on the Thursday after next without issue on that final day?

Exactly. I received my 2019 on March 17. Initiated the return on March 31. Dropped it off at UPS April 12. The returns depot is in my city so it’s essentially same day delivery to them.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Exactly. I received my 2019 on March 17. Initiated the return on March 31. Dropped it off at UPS April 12. The returns depot is in my city so it’s essentially same day delivery to them.

Cool. Since my town isn’t where returns depot ; still no problem dragging my feet to return it like a week and a half later ?

this all saves me so much hassle if I go the return route. To be sure I need to. Thanks

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
Cool. Since my town isn’t where returns depot ; still no problem dragging my feet to return it like a week and a half later ?

this all saves me so much hassle if I go the return route. To be sure I need to. Thanks

The emailed return label says “Please send us your items by April 14” which was 14 days after I initiated. Hard to tell if that means they want to have actually received it within 14 days, or want you to post it within 14 days.

I would account for a couple days shipping if you’re concerned, so yeah if you ship it out 7-10 after, you’re golden.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The emailed return label says “Please send us your items by April 14” which was 14 days after I initiated. Hard to tell if that means they want to have actually received it within 14 days, or want you to post it within 14 days.

I would account for a couple days shipping if you’re concerned, so yeah if you ship it out 7-10 after, you’re golden.

Thanks

I could always give support a ring too if it’s coming down to the wire to make sure it’s ok but I would
Interpret that as drop it off by that time , not accounting for time in transit for them to receive it

esphil

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
This is great info about starting the return on the last day. What happens if I decide I want to keep it after I started the return? My dilemma now is my Air is arriving this week. Im debating after all these threads with performance either keeping this Air or see what the new mbp announcement would be. If I start a return process on the last day, I could possibly have 2 more weeks to see if there is a announcement. Depending on the 14" I will either keep my air or return. Within the 2 weeks to drop it off, does it just need to be scanned by UPS or arrive back?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This is great info about starting the return on the last day. What happens if I decide I want to keep it after I started the return?

I would imagine nothing, you just aren't going to see a refund haha .

Similarly - I put in a trade request for my 13" NTB 2016 but decided against trading it in. Therefore, I would expect I'm just not going to see $470 off the bill. Will be good to have a second computer.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This is a good thread OP, as I'm going to call Apple in 10 days at the end of the 14 day period and then take my sweet time returning it. If the MBP 14 is released and it's either much much more expensive than the MBA for the similar RAM/storage options (which currently it is) or the weight/size are much more I may keep the MBA. If the price is reasonable and Apple doesn't make it a "fatty" (my MBP 16 is noticeably heavier and larger than my partner's 2017 MBP 15) I will return the MBA for the 2020 MBP.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks

I could always give support a ring too if it’s coming down to the wire to make sure it’s ok but I would
Interpret that as drop it off by that time , not accounting for time in transit for them to receive it
When you initiate a return it generates a 2nd Day Air FedEx shipping form. Just tape it to the box your Mac shipped in, and drop it off. I’d suggest checking the FedEx website to make sure that pickups are being made from your drop off site, as many are closed right now.

Reactions: thadoggfather

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
When you initiate a return it generates a 2nd Day Air FedEx shipping form. Just tape it to the box your Mac shipped in, and drop it off. I’d suggest checking the FedEx website to make sure that pickups are being made from your drop off site, as many are closed right now.
You need to define "drop off site." One huge rule of thumb when dropping off a package at FedEx is to always "drop off" at a manned location and get a receipt when you hand it over. Goes for UPS too, actually. Never, I repeat, never leave your computer in a FedEx drop box. Always hand it over to a FedEx employee and get a receipt. On that note, yes, many FedEx Office locations are closed due to the virus, so get online and find out what manned FedEx drop off locations are open right now.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
hey guys.

initiated return today because my replacement i5/512 came today, and it said I had until may 5th to send it off

already got it off to be done with it, but as info for other people

Reactions: robots3humans0

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
FYI I just called, online purchases must be returned in the 14 day window, so no extended return policy with apple store closure. I'll be placing a return request.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
FYI I just called, online purchases must be returned in the 14 day window, so no extended return policy with apple store closure. I'll be placing a return request.
You must initiate the request within the 14 day window but once you do and print a label, you have 14 days to get it back to them (effectively another 12 days since they send a 2-day air label).

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

Can anyone confirm that this is still a thing? AKA initiating return on 14th day, but having another 14 days to drop it in the mail?

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I know this is an old thread, but recently brought back to life. Best thing to do is start the return on the 13th day (a little padding), then send it back within a couple of weeks from there. I've never had a problem - even when 3 weeks went by from the start of the return. The credit has always been processed.

Reactions: bluedoggiant

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can anyone confirm that this is still a thing? AKA initiating return on 14th day, but having another 14 days to drop it in the mail?
Yes it works. Just be sure to initiate the return by Day 14. You have 2 weeks from the date you initiate the return to send it back.

Reactions: bluedoggiant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.