Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm looking for one for my 6th gen 12,9 iPad Pro, but Apple doesn't have it in its stores.

The Smart Cover is the one that only protects your iPads screen. So far I can also see them offering Smart Folios (front & back).

I own one like this and I'd rather return to a Smart Cover only and have a transparent case at the back.

So these smart covers were probably meant for older iPad models. Anyone know about their compatibility with the 6th gen 12,9 iPad Pro?

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
No, they never made a Smart Cover for the 6th gen. iPad Pro 12.9. The Smart Folio was effectively the replacement for it.

The best equivalents that I have found are the ones by ESR. See my post here:

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm looking for one for my 6th gen 12,9 iPad Pro, but Apple doesn't have it in its stores.

The Smart Cover is the one that only protects your iPads screen. So far I can also see them offering Smart Folios (front & back).

I own one like this and I'd rather return to a Smart Cover only and have a transparent case at the back.

So these smart covers were probably meant for older iPad models. Anyone know about their compatibility with the 6th gen 12,9 iPad Pro?
A good rule of thumb... if an iPad had a camera bump then there is no smart cover option for it... only a folio.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No, they never made a Smart Cover for the 6th gen. iPad Pro 12.9. The Smart Folio was effectively the replacement for it.

The best equivalents that I have found are the ones by ESR. See my post here:

That's two parts, for the front and the rear? But you can't buy them separately it seems.

A good rule of thumb... if an iPad had a camera bump then there is no smart cover option for it... only a folio.

Too bad Apple stopped making it.

Reactions: sracer

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
That's two parts, for the front and the rear? But you can't buy them separately it seems.

Too bad Apple stopped making it.
The magnets in the cover attach to the back case, so it wouldn't work on its own. There are no magnets on the edge of the 6th gen. iPad Pro for an old-style Smart Cover to attach to it.

You said that you wanted to use it with a transparent case on the back anyway.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

The magnets in the cover attach to the back case, so it wouldn't work on its own. There are no magnets on the edge of the 6th gen. iPad Pro for an old-style Smart Cover to attach to it.

You said that you wanted to use it with a transparent case on the back anyway.

Okay, now I see. That's too bad, so there's basically no way of having a single front smart cover at all then.

And yes I wanted to have a transparent case on the back, but I wanted to chose a specific one and combine the front and the back.

I got a Smart Folio for now. Very expensive. The last one I've had has started to decompose after not even 1-2 years. I hope this one is not going to be the same. But it's really super cheap super trashy quality, and costs 125 € on top of that. Apple is crazy (and me even more, because I bought it).

Thanks. What I dislike about most of them is that they have the space for the Apple Pencil, which I don't have/use. So it's unnecessary bigger. And the design is not minimalistic enough on this one either.

I have to say it's really hard to find a good one for me.

This is one of the reasons why I'm sticking with the 9th gen iPad and 5th gen iPad Mini. They are the last two for which Apple produced smartcovers for.

I've seen them today and they look great. That was the best cover.

Reactions: sracer

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I got a Smart Folio for now. Very expensive. The last one I've had has started to decompose after not even 1-2 years. I hope this one is not going to be the same. But it's really super cheap super trashy quality, and costs 125 € on top of that. Apple is crazy (and me even more, because I bought it).
You can get third-party Smart Folio cases for a fraction of the price that Apple charges and the reviews are good. I found one on AliExpress for under £9, including tax and shipping. Typical prices on Amazon are double that. Brands such as ESR, JETech, and TiMOVO sell versions.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
You can get third-party Smart Folio cases for a fraction of the price that Apple charges and the reviews are good. I found one on AliExpress for under £9, including tax and shipping. Typical prices on Amazon are double that. Brands such as ESR, JETech, and TiMOVO sell versions.

These are identical to the Apple Smart Folio though.

Does anyone own one that only includes the front cover? This way I could get a nice transparent back cover.

Edit: Stupid me … it seems like it's not possible for a front cover only to exist because of magnet situation. That explains why I don't find any.

But on the other hand, many cases seem to have a space at the side to hold the apple pen. So maybe there is a possibility … but I have yet to find such a front cover only.

On my 2nd gen 12,9" iPad Pro I had the midnight blue apple leather cover at the front and a clear case at the back with a black border. It looked so incredibly good. Dark blue, black and the silver/grey at the back, I really liked it, it was my best looking iPad.

Last edited:

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
I do not upgrade to a new ipad often. I was looking at a new ipad now, I see no smart covers any more. Your post explains why.

A bit disappointed because the folio cover makes the ipad thicker/bulkier/heavier. Shame they don't make iPads without camera - then they could be cheaper, lighter, thiner and just have a smart cover for the screen (do people really use iPads as a their predominant camera device? ... I would have thought a phone would be the tool of choice)

Maybe just go with no cover at all???

Anyway, thanks for your post, I will stop looking for covers that don't exist.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Thanks. What I dislike about most of them is that they have the space for the Apple Pencil, which I don't have/use. So it's unnecessary bigger. And the design is not minimalistic enough on this one either.

It’s so difficult to find Smart Folio alternatives that don’t have Apple Pencil slots! I’m with ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.