Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hello everyone!

I am currently using a MBP 2021 14" base model, which has a M1 Pro processor with 16GB of RAMs. Before this device, I have been using an Early 2015 MBP 13" base model as well, which had Windows 10 installed via the Boot Camp. I used to play CS GO on that device, encountered with no problem with it, however I would like to ask you if it is okay to play some games to spend some nice time on this new MBP 14" as well.

I installed CS GO via the Steam, set all the settings, it seems I am having around 150FPS and the device works around 75 degree temperature, the fans are also working arond 2500 RPM. (I track these values with MacsFanControl and Activity Monitor).
I am not a real gamer, I just kill some time by playing CS GO for maybe 1 hour, so to say.

Do you think it might damage the computer in any way?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Hello everyone!

I am currently using a MBP 2021 14" base model, which has a M1 Pro processor with 16GB of RAMs. Before this device, I have been using an Early 2015 MBP 13" base model as well, which had Windows 10 installed via the Boot Camp. I used to play CS GO on that device, encountered with no problem with it, however I would like to ask you if it is okay to play some games to spend some nice time on this new MBP 14" as well.

I installed CS GO via the Steam, set all the settings, it seems I am having around 150FPS and the device works around 75 degree temperature, the fans are also working arond 2500 RPM. (I track these values with MacsFanControl and Activity Monitor).
I am not a real gamer, I just kill some time by playing CS GO for maybe 1 hour, so to say.

Do you think it might damage the computer in any way?
How would it damage the computer?

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
How would it damage the computer?
I do not know, maybe temperature, maybe another thing. I am trying to have an idea about it as the Macbooks are not gaming computers.

To be honest, I noticed that this device is really powerful. I got 200FPS on CSGO (it was 30 FPS with my Early 2015 MBP 13"), and the temperature was not extremely high. But anyway, I just wanted to ask you to make sure it does not get damaged by any way.

• Haha
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I do not know, maybe temperature, maybe another thing. I am trying to have an idea about it as the Macbooks are not gaming computers.

To be honest, I noticed that this device is really powerful. I got 200FPS on CSGO (it was 30 FPS with my Early 2015 MBP 13"), and the temperature was not extremely high. But anyway, I just wanted to ask you to make sure it does not get damaged by any way.
There isn’t really a thing of “gaming computers” the only reason gaming isn’t popular on mac is due to software support.

Excluding some exceptional rare cases (New World) there’s no damage that you can do to the hardware by running software

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
This question damages MacRumors.
Nice comment, thanks ?

Actually I know it looks stupid. But why I asked it is that I am a bit worried because my old Early 2015 MBP used to reach extremely high temperatures and the fans were always working around 5500 RPM. It was so tough to play the CSGO on that device, but anyway, I used to play.

Now I am worried because this 2021 is a new device for me, and it has an M1 Pro processor which I am not well-informed about, so I just wanted to ask in advance. It seems it does not get to higher temperature, like my previous MBP used to do, so I guess there will be no issue with it.

Reactions: maxoakland

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Nice comment, thanks ?

Actually I know it looks stupid. But why I asked it is that I am a bit worried because my old Early 2015 MBP used to reach extremely high temperatures and the fans were always working around 5500 RPM. It was so tough to play the CSGO on that device, but anyway, I used to play.

Now I am worried because this 2021 is a new device for me, and it has an M1 Pro processor which I am not well-informed about, so I just wanted to ask in advance. It seems it does not get to higher temperature, like my previous MBP used to do, so I guess there will be no issue with it.
The system will reduce speed and power if it gets too hot.

It will not be allowed to get to a point where damage occurs.

JPhillyHasAWilly

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
No... They ran a performance benchmark comparison between the m1 MacBook Pro & the previous generation top-tier i7 MacBook Pro with Nvidia graphics and the M1 MacBook not only had higher performance and better graphics than the previous model, it also did so without really getting hot at all. The M1 processor is ridiculously powerful and efficient.. and thus expensive.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
This question damages MacRumors.
My friend's dad used to complain that playing rock n'roll through his stereo would damage it - when in reality he just didn't want to listen to his son's choice of music :)

(Caveat: playing music with lots of bass at excessive volume *can* damage speaker cones if the amplifier has greater output than the speakers will support - which is often the case in order to minimise distortion, or so I understand)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Actually I know it looks stupid. But why I asked it is that I am a bit worried because my old Early 2015 MBP used to reach extremely high temperatures and the fans were always working around 5500 RPM.

Well, that's what happens when you run intensive stuff on a laptop. Did it get damaged? Then why do you worry :)

Apple generally likes to run their processors hot because it is more economical. These new Apple chips reach the same temperatures as Intel chips under heavy load. But that's perfectly fine. Modern silicon can run at 100C for years without any detrimental effects.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
(Caveat: playing music with lots of bass at excessive volume *can* damage speaker cones if the amplifier has greater output than the speakers will support - which is often the case in order to minimise distortion, or so I understand)
Speakers are more easily damaged by wimpy amplifiers driven to clipping than by over powered amplifiers.
Off topic I know, but worthwhile clarifying, considering the subject was already raised.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
If you punch the keyboard too heavily while playing, then you may damage it. Other than that, I do not see how your Mac would be damaged.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Running video game on those beasts? And damaging your expensive computer? Highly unlikely. Heck, even Intel processor that can run 100C while playing certain games don't get computer damaged as long as you don't keep that temperature for like 12 hours or sth, Apple Silicon certainly won't reach that temperature level by just running a meager CSGO, let alone damaging the computer. Just take care of your computer and all will be fine for years to come.

Reactions: jchap

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If the games involve pressing certain keys a lot, you might wear out those keys sooner than normal.
I am using a wireless keyboard, so I almost never use the internal MacBook keyboard. I guess this detail will not be an issue at all.

No... They ran a performance benchmark comparison between the m1 MacBook Pro & the previous generation top-tier i7 MacBook Pro with Nvidia graphics and the M1 MacBook not only had higher performance and better graphics than the previous model, it also did so without really getting hot at all. The M1 processor is ridiculously powerful and efficient.. and thus expensive.
This is what I noticed yesterday. This processor is incredible. I am having 170FPS on the CS:GO, and the fans are working on just 2500RPM. The temperature always stays at 70 degree. It was 5500RPM amd 85 degree on my previous device, Early 2015 MBP 13". Now this M1 Pro processor is beautiful.

If you get angry when you lose and pound your fists on it, you can cause significant damage. Hope you invested in AC+ ;)
I got AppleCare+ but I do not get angry easily, I am not that much hard-gamer ?

Running video game on those beasts? And damaging your expensive computer? Highly unlikely. Heck, even Intel processor that can run 100C while playing certain games don't get computer damaged as long as you don't keep that temperature for like 12 hours or sth, Apple Silicon certainly won't reach that temperature level by just running a meager CSGO, let alone damaging the computer. Just take care of your computer and all will be fine for years to come.
Yeah my i5 processored Early 2015 MBP used to reach 85-90 degrees and I used to play CSGO for 3-4 hours, fans were working really fast and I could always hear them. But at the end, the computer was always perfect (except the battery). Now I take care of this new MBP as well, and I guess it won't be damaged by playing some games for 1-2 hours, as you said. Thanks for your comments ??

Reactions: yitwail

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Wanna bet?
I know what you want to bet cause you certainly reached that level or close to 100C while playing games lol.
I probably can throttle M1 hard by running a few rosetta applications in the background while running rosetta games.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I know what you want to bet cause you certainly reached that level or close to 100C while playing games lol.

Well, Apple prioritises silent and efficient operation over maintaining low internal temperature, which makes a lot of sense. I definitely see high temperatures on my SoC when playing games, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I probably can throttle M1 hard by running a few rosetta applications in the background while running rosetta games.

Why do you mention Rosetta? It's not like native code is any "easier" on the hardware.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
How would that throttle anything? The fans would kick on and cool it to normal operating temperatures. Intel chips on lots of windows and Macs get throttled only because the operating temperatures exceed the ability of the fans or passive cooling to bring the temperatures into the normal range, then the power consumption has to be cut back, or throttled. As far as all the reviews to date, there is adequate cooling in the Macbook Pros, for all but the most extreme cases

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.