Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
No... They ran a performance benchmark comparison between the m1 MacBook Pro & the previous generation top-tier i7 MacBook Pro with Nvidia graphics and the M1 MacBook not only had higher performance and better graphics than the previous model, it also did so without really getting hot at all. The M1 processor is ridiculously powerful and efficient.. and thus expensive.
expensive? Surely you jest. Compare like builds to like performance, the M1 Pro and Max Macs are very price competitive. Sure if you don't want the displays and build quality, you can get by with cheaper. I compared to Dell XPS (which throttle heavily under load, and have short battery life), By the time you got to an equivalent performance level and screen (not brighter - can't do it), you were forking out some serious bucks. I also compared to some serious gaming rigs (which are uber expensive), but as Macs are not usually gamers preferred choices - hard to compare graphics performance, and the display refresh rates were uselessly (to me) faster at the expense of other display specs. So, not seeing the expensive moniker be earned (get it?).

But I am nothing if not willing to be disproved by facts - send links

Reactions: JMacHack

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Excluding some exceptional rare cases (New World) there’s no damage that you can do to the hardware by running software

I would add macOS Safari 15 to that list. Every time I open the sidebar I feel the urge to throw my Mac out of the nearest window.

• Haha
Reactions: pianostar9

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, Apple prioritises silent and efficient operation over maintaining low internal temperature, which makes a lot of sense. I definitely see high temperatures on my SoC when playing games, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Why do you mention Rosetta? It's not like native code is any "easier" on the hardware.
While there’s nothing wrong with ramping up temperature before kicking fans, cooler hardware can run longer and provide better longevity.

Also, I keep mentioning Rosetta because AS heavily rely on optimisation. RISC traditionally is not designed to be jack-of-all-trades. iOS has seen huge success but there’s obvious limits too. macOS app will need strong optimisation before seeing much of the same success in iOS I’d argue.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
While there’s nothing wrong with ramping up temperature before kicking fans, cooler hardware can run longer and provide better longevity.

Based on what? I mean, sure, the longevity urban myth has been thrown around a lot, I’m not surprised that people still repeat it, but what does „run longer“ mean?

Also, I keep mentioning Rosetta because AS heavily rely on optimisation.

AS is excellent general purpose hardware that excels at running various kind of workloads. Sure, native apps will run faster and they might even be more energy efficient, but the last part does not apply to games.

RISC traditionally is not designed to be jack-of-all-trades.

Well, good that Apple is not using generic „RISC“ but Aarch64, probably the most jack-of-trades architecture out there, while also leveraging what’s arguably the most jack-of-all trades CPU u-arch.

Reactions: Romain_H

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I keep mentioning Rosetta because AS heavily rely on optimisation.
Well x86-64 also relies heavily on optimization. The reason Rosetta 2 isn’t as efficient as native optimized Apple silicon is because Rosetta is starting from a binary instead of source code. Source code has the advantage of being relatively abstract which leaves a lot of places for an optimizing compiler to improve code efficiency. A pure binary translation doesn’t have the same source code “hints” available so it has to be more literal in its interpretation of the code’s intent.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Based on what? I mean, sure, the longevity urban myth has been thrown around a lot, I’m not surprised that people still repeat it, but what does „run longer“ mean?

AS is excellent general purpose hardware that excels at running various kind of workloads. Sure, native apps will run faster and they might even be more energy efficient, but the last part does not apply to games.

Well, good that Apple is not using generic „RISC“ but Aarch64, probably the most jack-of-trades architecture out there, while also leveraging what’s arguably the most jack-of-all trades CPU u-arch.
Ok, idk the last part. Thanks for the heads up.

When I say “run longer”, what I mean is the processor doesn’t throttle to remain cool. The longer chip can maintain low temperature the longer chip can run in high speed.

AS might have been considered excellent in Mac world that can tackle a wide range of workloads, but my experiences tells me native apps are a must if M1 ever have any chance to reach whatever bold claim on energy efficiency and battery life apple ever spit out of. I can barely maintain 3 hours of battery life when running only Numbers, Safari, Calendar, one Rosetta app that is mostly inactive with 50% brightness, and Mac doesn’t really do much. Idk what’s happening but I cannot get 8 hours of battery life like many people claim to be.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yes, it absolutely does. Every time you log into World of Warcraft your MacBook Pros CPU loses 1% health and Steve Jobs rolls over in his grave.

No, but actually, just use your tool you purchased to do what you want it to. They test and design these computers for much more extreme conditions than gaming over long periods of time.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
When I say “run longer”, what I mean is the processor doesn’t throttle to remain cool. The longer chip can maintain low temperature the longer chip can run in high speed.

Processor only needs to start throttling if the thermal pressure starts to push the temperature above the safe operating limit (which is around 105C). The thermals of Apple systems is generally designed to prevent them from happening. The only time you will see throttling is when running a very demanding workload in a thermally constrained chassis like the M1 in the Air or M1 Max in the 14", or you are operating these machines somewhere in the desert :) But for most time, it does not matter. A CPU operating with 3.2ghz@50C is just as fast as the same CPU operating at 3.2ghz@100C.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hello everyone!

I am currently using a MBP 2021 14" base model, which has a M1 Pro processor with 16GB of RAMs. Before this device, I have been using an Early 2015 MBP 13" base model as well, which had Windows 10 installed via the Boot Camp. I used to play CS GO on that device, encountered with no problem with it, however I would like to ask you if it is okay to play some games to spend some nice time on this new MBP 14" as well.

I installed CS GO via the Steam, set all the settings, it seems I am having around 150FPS and the device works around 75 degree temperature, the fans are also working arond 2500 RPM. (I track these values with MacsFanControl and Activity Monitor).
I am not a real gamer, I just kill some time by playing CS GO for maybe 1 hour, so to say.

Do you think it might damage the computer in any way?
You should be able to play it for hours. But like any game if you notice it constantly running too hot which 75 isn't really you can always limit settings like max FPS, or run the game at a lower resolution then the native resolution of the screen. BTW MacFanControl was updated for M1 Pro/Max should be 1.5.11 now. :)

• Love
Reactions: GoztepeEge

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
You should be able to play it for hours. But like any game if you notice it constantly running too hot which 75 isn't really you can always limit settings like max FPS, or run the game at a lower resolution then the native resolution of the screen. BTW MacFanControl was updated for M1 Pro/Max should be 1.5.11 now. :)
Thanks for your comment, right now I just tested the CS:GO and the Dirt Rally, both worked very well. The fans were around 2500 RPM and the temperature were like 70-75 degree for both games. I am pretty satisfied with this result ☺️

BTW yes it seems I have the up-to-date version of MacsFanControl ? It says "1.5.11 Free"

Reactions: Realityck

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Nice comment, thanks ?

Actually I know it looks stupid. But why I asked it is that I am a bit worried because my old Early 2015 MBP used to reach extremely high temperatures and the fans were always working around 5500 RPM. It was so tough to play the CSGO on that device, but anyway, I used to play.

Now I am worried because this 2021 is a new device for me, and it has an M1 Pro processor which I am not well-informed about, so I just wanted to ask in advance. It seems it does not get to higher temperature, like my previous MBP used to do, so I guess there will be no issue with it.
It’s the sort of excuse that new dads tell their under 10 year olds as to why they cannot play Minecraft or PUBG or any other game on the family computer.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Speakers are more easily damaged by wimpy amplifiers driven to clipping than by over powered amplifiers.
Off topic I know, but worthwhile clarifying, considering the subject was already raised.
Very good point, and almost certainly far more common than people blowing speaker cones with powerful amps - the volume is probably unbearably loud (in a domestic setting) before any damage occurs, whereas people often crank up low-powered amps to get more volume causing them to clip with all sorts of horrid harmonics.

Reactions: MajorFubar

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Nice comment, thanks ?

Actually I know it looks stupid. But why I asked it is that I am a bit worried because my old Early 2015 MBP used to reach extremely high temperatures and the fans were always working around 5500 RPM. It was so tough to play the CSGO on that device, but anyway, I used to play.

Now I am worried because this 2021 is a new device for me, and it has an M1 Pro processor which I am not well-informed about, so I just wanted to ask in advance. It seems it does not get to higher temperature, like my previous MBP used to do, so I guess there will be no issue with it.
Yeah, that’s a safe bet. Heat can cause some subtle, long-term issues on computers *sometimes* but M1 computers don’t get very hot at all. Your computer will be able to handle gaming with no problem

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Yeah, that’s a safe bet. Heat can cause some subtle, long-term issues on computers *sometimes* but M1 computers don’t get very hot at all. Your computer will be able to handle gaming with no problem
I agree with you, especially as I notice that my computer really does not get that much hot.
I tested it with the CSGO (native Rosetta 2, Steam), Dirt Rally (native Rosetta 2, Steam), and Left 4 Dead 2 (Crossover) and it handled all games pretty nice. The temperature did not exceed 75 degree, and the fans were almost rotating at 2500RPM. I am pretty satisfied with these results, so I can express that these values are not harmful for the computer in a long run.

It seems that Apple has made a nice shot with these 2021 models! ?

Reactions: maxoakland

Themistokles

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2018
I'm having similar concerns as the OP, not regarding the CPU etc., but the display when using the machine in clamshell mode.

I noticed that heat dissipates through the keyboard and after playing for more than an hour or so, the display had gotten quite hot when I opened the lid to check. I can't check how hot exaxtly though, because my thermometer only measures up to 40somewhat degrees Celsius (it's meant to measure body temperature).

My display is fine for now, but I'm wondering if using the MacBook in clamshell mode for prolonged periods of time, might damage the display?

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm having similar concerns as the OP, not regarding the CPU etc., but the display when using the machine in clamshell mode.

I noticed that heat dissipates through the keyboard and after playing for more than an hour or so, the display had gotten quite hot when I opened the lid to check. I can't check how hot exaxtly though, because my thermometer only measures up to 40somewhat degrees Celsius (it's meant to measure body temperature).

My display is fine for now, but I'm wondering if using the MacBook in clamshell mode for prolonged periods of time, might damage the display?
Interesting and nice approach. It might be beneficial and wisely to investigate this.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic here.

You're asking that if you use a computer (something that is designed to do stuff) to do stuff, will that DAMAGE the computer?

Will making phone calls damage a phone?

Reactions: jdb8167

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic here.

You're asking that if you use a computer (something that is designed to do stuff) to do stuff, will that DAMAGE the computer?

Will making phone calls damage a phone?
I was trying to ask about "temperature" issues. Anyway I see that it is no problem.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK

I think I've accidentally fubar'd the display of my works Dell laptop by doing just that. I've only had the laptop a couple of months, but it gets scorching under there and the display has started to fail. However I think it's always been faulty because I've only just noticed the display never goes off even with the lid closed.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021

I just don’t think they get hot enough for it to be an issue. Previous MacBooks got much hotter and people still used them in clamshell mode and I haven’t heard any complaints

0_1

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
How would it damage the computer?
I've seen people ask if:

Using the headphone jack would damage their computer

If using the optical drive would damage their PS4

If using the HDD would damage their computer

If turning off their computer would damage it

If using WiFi would damage their computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.