Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epcpnuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 that is used as a triple-boot machine.
I have the two Mac OSX's 10.6 & 10.11 installed along with Linux.
The primary (NOT only!) reason for Linux is because Apple has
deprecated the two Mac OSX's along with any web browser that can
run on them, which limits my access to the internet. However, I
can and do continually update the Firefox browser on Linux all
the time, so there is no similar limitation on Linux. But, since
my machine is 12 years old, I'm always concerned how much longer
it will be viable.

Hence my reason for posting the question as to whether or not
the 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 supports the installation of Linux? I've
read/heard conflicting/confusing information regarding this. The
main reason against is that Apple's T2 security chip prevents
this from happening. Has any current Mac Pro 7,1 owner installed
Linux on their machine? If so, do you have any issues with it
operationally?

FYI: My 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 is set up as follows:

1. 640 GB internal drive for Mac OSX 10.6
2. 640 GB internal drive for Mac OSX 10.11
3. 320 GB internal drive for Linux.
4. 2 TB internal drive as backup storage for 1 & 2 above.

Thanks

Ron

codehead1

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know, but in case you haven't considered it, would running a VM be suitable for you? Personally, I use VMware Fusion, but there's also VirtualBox (free).

darthaddie

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Planet Earth
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on a secondary internal SSD on my Mac Pro 7,1. Its boots fine from the USB live disk and installs fine. But I could not get it to boot since Grub or ReFind both refused to show up at boot. T2 is no longer an issue since Ubuntu found the drive perfectly. What I do sense is that it could not write the boot loader to the encrypted main disk and hence could not boot.

While writing this message, it just occurred to me that if I disable file vault (potentially unencrypting the disk) and install linux on my Mac Pro 7,1,, it might just be able to install the boot loader and work. I'll try that this weekend.

codehead1

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
...and worth every penny.
I don't doubt it, just saw comparisons and some articles seemed to think it (VirtualBox) was a good choice in some cases. I'd rather have a company with a bigger stake in it than "free". Actually, I used to use Parallels years ago, but then I joined a company that owned most of VMware so I get it free anyway. Parallels was OK (been some years), but I didn't like it so much that I'd keep paying for it while already having VMware Fusion on my computer to run something else.

I run Windows 10 mostly on it, but have a WinXpPro vm for some ancient stuff, and Ubuntu (most of my unix use is command-line, I use the FreeBDS via Terminal mostly, Ubuntu was for a specific thing I haven't used in a while). Plus Isilon, er, now PowerScale OneFS virtual nodes.

epcpnuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 that is used as a triple-boot machine.
I have the two Mac OSX's 10.6 & 10.11 installed along with Linux.
The primary (NOT only!) reason for Linux is because Apple has
deprecated the two Mac OSX's along with any web browser that can
run on them, which limits my access to the internet. However, I
can and do continually update the Firefox browser on Linux all
the time, so there is no similar limitation on Linux. But, since
my machine is 12 years old, I'm always concerned how much longer
it will be viable.

Hence my reason for posting the question as to whether or not
the 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 supports the installation of Linux? I've
read/heard conflicting/confusing information regarding this. The
main reason against is that Apple's T2 security chip prevents
this from happening. Has any current Mac Pro 7,1 owner installed
Linux on their machine? If so, do you have any issues with it
operationally?

FYI: My 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 is set up as follows:

1. 640 GB internal drive for Mac OSX 10.6
2. 640 GB internal drive for Mac OSX 10.11
3. 320 GB internal drive for Linux.
4. 2 TB internal drive as backup storage for 1 & 2 above.

Thanks

Ron
I forgot to mention that I currently have to "Option" boot, i.e.,
need to hold down the Option key at startup) to get the screen
where I can choose which of the three OSes to boot into. Is
this possible with the Mac Pro 7,1?

Ron

darthaddie

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Planet Earth
I tried installing Ubuntu again with Filevault disabled. Got the same "Failed to install grub" error. Then I tried ReFind and it installs with success but I get stuck at the Apple Logo. Even Option booting does not show an available Refind/Ubuntu boot disk. So my assumptions have failed. I would love to have some input on this. It works flawlessly on my MacBook Pro 2018 15". So I am guessing there is something different with the Mac Pro

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I forgot to mention that I currently have to "Option" boot, i.e.,
need to hold down the Option key at startup) to get the screen
where I can choose which of the three OSes to boot into. Is
this possible with the Mac Pro 7,1?

Ron

Yes. Though it is kinda annoying at least for me (with the wireless keyboard) as I have to hammer that key for the boot menu to appear.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
If you want to keep El Cap you'll have to get a 6,1. I'm sure it would be easier installing Linux on one of those and you'd save some money too. You can consolidate all your drives onto a high capacity NVMe blade.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I tried installing Ubuntu again with Filevault disabled. Got the same "Failed to install grub" error. Then I tried ReFind and it installs with success but I get stuck at the Apple Logo. Even Option booting does not show an available Refind/Ubuntu boot disk. So my assumptions have failed. I would love to have some input on this. It works flawlessly on my MacBook Pro 2018 15". So I am guessing there is something different with the Mac Pro

Was Windows 10 (i.e. BootCamp) ever installed on the 2018 MBP 15" before you installed rEFInd ? I seem to recall that there was some smoothing out of issues if the BootCamp initialization process went through which lets the parameters be set for Windows signed stuff also to get through ( like windows or something else that Microsoft signed ). Technically if boot security is all the way done to "none" it shouldn't matter ( no suppose to be checking for any signatures, but there may be a "broaden your view" nudge there if loop in the Microsoft signed stuff. )

Similar is this rEFInd install still onto the second disk's EFI kick start or trying to stuff the rEFInd bootstrap on to the T2. In the scope of what the thread starts off on if can just get to a rEFInd starting point from the nominal Mac Pro 2019 (7,1) "option boot" screen then should be "good enough". Jumping straight into rEFInd by default isn't necessary if just trying to eek out longer live out of a old , de-supported Mac Pro (in the distant future) .

darthaddie

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Planet Earth
I have bootcamp installed onto the Mac Pro. And not on the MBP. The GRUB and Refind failed to install on both the second SSD and T2. I even tried Refind manually. I know option boot should just work, and it did on the MBP. Security settings on both Macs were turned off to none.

Last thing I am guessing is since the MBP didn't have bootcamp, maybe the install had success. This is just a lame guess. I will try removing bootcamp and installing linux tomorrow.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I have bootcamp installed onto the Mac Pro. And not on the MBP. The GRUB and Refind failed to install on both the second SSD and T2. I even tried Refind manually. I know option boot should just work, and it did on the MBP. Security settings on both Macs were turned off to none.

Last thing I am guessing is since the MBP didn't have bootcamp, maybe the install had success. This is just a lame guess. I will try removing bootcamp and installing linux tomorrow.

If there unix distro supports UEFI then GRUB/rEFInd shouldn't be as necessary. But they may both (Linux and Bootloaders) trip up on trying to do "something" with the T2 drive when they should just basically ignore it and move on.

The 2019 Mac may have something different about the SMC ( system management controller) that is coupled to the security system differently in these newer models that the others don't handle. Whether that is a permanent long term issue or just not enough 'free labor" / "free software" effort applied yet could be up in the air. ( and Apple seeding some machines to get work done to lower budget software development projects. )

Other folks have managed to get VMware EXSi up and running ( not supported mode, but nominally running. ). Conceptually there is some magic incantation path here somewhere.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I find VMware far more reliable & easy to configure than the free VirtualBox. The former runs most of the distros I need very well. VirtualBox always has problems with the host system: like cut & paste, drag n' drop, shared folders etc.

darthaddie

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Planet Earth
I find VMware far more reliable & easy to configure than the free VirtualBox. The former runs most of the distros I need very well. VirtualBox always has problems with the host system: like cut & paste, drag n' drop, shared folders etc.

totally second that. Virtual box has issues with Catalina. It somehow messed up my network speeds as well.
[automerge]1595814003[/automerge]
If there unix distro supports UEFI then GRUB/rEFInd shouldn't be as necessary. But they may both (Linux and Bootloaders) trip up on trying to do "something" with the T2 drive when they should just basically ignore it and move on.

The 2019 Mac may have something different about the SMC ( system management controller) that is coupled to the security system differently in these newer models that the others don't handle. Whether that is a permanent long term issue or just not enough 'free labor" / "free software" effort applied yet could be up in the air. ( and Apple seeding some machines to get work done to lower budget software development projects. )

Other folks have managed to get VMware EXSi up and running ( not supported mode, but nominally running. ). Conceptually there is some magic incantation path here somewhere.

Well, I guess, I’ll keep trying. At some point in The future we might have success.

JuanPC2021

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on a secondary internal SSD on my Mac Pro 7,1. Its boots fine from the USB live disk and installs fine. But I could not get it to boot since Grub or ReFind both refused to show up at boot. T2 is no longer an issue since Ubuntu found the drive perfectly. What I do sense is that it could not write the boot loader to the encrypted main disk and hence could not boot.

While writing this message, it just occurred to me that if I disable file vault (potentially unencrypting the disk) and install linux on my Mac Pro 7,1,, it might just be able to install the boot loader and work. I'll try that this weekend.

totally second that. Virtual box has issues with Catalina. It somehow messed up my network speeds as well.
[automerge]1595814003[/automerge]

Well, I guess, I’ll keep trying. At some point in The future we might have success.

I think T2 is the problem,
Apple clearly say:
T2 does Not allow anything else to Boot.
"Apple T2 Security Chip.
Data on Mac Pro is protected by the Apple T2 Security Chip.
It integrates a Secure Enclave coprocessor and discrete controllers into a single chip.
It also ensures that the lowest levels of software aren’t tampered with
and that only operating system software trusted by Apple loads at startup."

Probable Solution:
Don´t use T2 chip.
buy a PCIe to M.2 card from Startech or similar Acme chinese No brand.

or an eGPU using Thunderbolt3 + the PCIe to M2 card.
Razer X Chrome, Sonnet, etc...
eGPU.io

other option is to buy a dual SATA-III 6Gbps card from:
or single SATA from OWC

SATA-III is limited to 600MB/s BUT.... 8TB SATA from Samsung QVO or Micron, is cheaper than 2x4TB M.2

or if you like Both at same time, Speed + Big Size.
buy the dual U.2 PCIe card, the card is cheap, but the U.2 drives are very $$$.

if you want 4x M.2
OWC

if want 8x M.2 PCIe 4.0
OWC
or
PCIe 3.0

#2.
if that does Not work,
also needs to install OpenCore Bootloader
and replace Apple SMBios from 7,1 to MacPro6,1 2013 or MacPro5,1 2010

Apple SMBios/EFI is closed and does Not allow to Boot older Genuine Apple OSX,
MacPro 7,1 should be able to boot OSX SnowLeopard 10.6.8 that has Rosetta v1 PowerPC G4 CPU emulator designed for Intel CPU x86.
but No...
Apple locks SMBios, usually gives Forbiden logo.
MP7,1 does Not allow to Boot anything older than OSX Mojave 10.14.6,
MacPro6,1 oldest OSX is Mavericks 10.9.5
MacPro5,1 2012 OSX Lion 10.7.
MacPro5,1 2010 OSX SnowLeopard 10.6.8
Press Apple+V or Ctrl+V or Alt+V or Option+V to show Boot Text Verbose, & see the Actual Error.
take a photo of the Screen Text.

Last edited:

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
I was searching on installing Linux in either dual boot, or triple boot on a 2018 15" MBP, and found your post. How did you manage to install Ubuntu on that MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.