Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
After the release of the Studio Mac (I've been waiting for a higher-end M1 Mac for a long time now), I've decided I'm going to switch to the Apple ecosystem. Does this sound like a decent list of things to buy?

Lowest end Studio Mac
AirPod Pros
iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone charger

I also need a DisplayPort or HDMI Thunderbolt 4 hub as I have three 4k monitors I want to use with it. It would be good if the Thunderbolt 4 hub had some extra USB ports to help out.

Is there anything else that I need, or does that sound fine? Remember, I own zero Apple equipment or accessories at the moment, so I need everything new.

trickster is meaningless

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2016
Basingstoke, UK
It depends on what you want to do with them really. My comments would be:

1. Lowest end studio: I'd consider upping the storage personally. The on board storage is blazingly fast and 512 is very limited.

2. AirPods Pro are fine, but do you need them? Other bluetooth headphones will work, other wired headphones will be better quality. The magic of AirPods is mainly in the setup, but I've never been blown away with the sound and my Bose sound sports are just as convenient.

3. iPhone Pro Max: do you need a new phone now? The 14/13s is 6 months away, so you are at an awkward point. Is there a feature of the Pro that makes you need it over the standard?

4. Do you not own any usb c chargers? The apple chargers aren't worth spending money on IMO, I'd buy something from Anker etc that does more than a single device.

For entering the Apple eco-system, I think the studio is a great opportunity, but other stuff you may already own will work. The "magic" of the eco-system is great, but you don't need to do it all at once. Also remember the studio doesn't have a keyboard or mouse/trackpad. If you want to go all in, the magic keyboard has Touch ID, but I don't think its a good keyboard. I'd recommend the trackpad though, they are lovely. The auto unlock with the Apple Watch is a very nice feature, but I wouldn't recommend buying a watch just for that.

For the thunderbolt hub, OWC are very good, but other members may have cheaper suggestions. I own the TB3 hub from about 2017. I'd suggest reading the display specs. I believe TB4 supports 2x 4k@60 per port. However, depending on what else you're plugging in, you could just get some displayport->usb c cables and use the HDMI out.

Those are all my opinions, but I don't know your use case. For reference, I'm a software dev and musician; a gamer or photo editor could have a different perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.