Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
HLG and HDR10 are static, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are dynamic (picture settings can be changed for each frame, although mostly changing them per scene is enough).
https://www.cnet.com/news/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-vs-hlg-how-do-hdr-formats-compare/

Gave CNET a very thorough read. It seems Dolby Vision is a good bonus to have, one that can make a difference, but not dealbreaker. If the AppleTV is updated to process the Dolby Vision and send it to the TV, then great. It will certainly eliminate headaches for people shopping for TVs and checking if their selections include DV or HGL/HDR10.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Gave CNET a very thorough read. It seems Dolby Vision is a good bonus to have, one that can make a difference, but not dealbreaker. If the AppleTV is updated to process the Dolby Vision and send it to the TV, then great. It will certainly eliminate headaches for people shopping for TVs and checking if their selections include DV or HGL/HDR10.
it still leaves bluray players. I find it astonishing that Sony who are so late to the market with OLED anyway, get this so wrong. Yet I've been enjoying trouble free DV on my LG with Oppo 203 for 6 months now.

And it really is Sony as they are making the same mess regarding their bluray players as well.

Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
lastest i've seen is they're delaying the dv update indefinitely

wouldn't surprise me in the least if the crappy mediatek cpu's they're using just aren't up to the job

shame as otherwise they're excellent tv's

apart from that awful android os of course :D

Reactions: chabig

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
it still leaves bluray players. I find it astonishing that Sony who are so late to the market with OLED anyway, get this so wrong. Yet I've been enjoying trouble free DV on my LG with Oppo 203 for 6 months now.

And it really is Sony as they are making the same mess regarding their bluray players as well.

Understandable, yet, I don't own a Blu-ray so I am not bothered by it. I'd rather just download my media.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Understandable, yet, I don't own a Blu-ray so I am not bothered by it. I'd rather just download my media.
Fair enough, I do a mixture. For fantastic blockbusters that are keeps I really appreciate the additional sound you get from a disc, and not to mention the increased bit rates for the visual side of things. But yes for others I am happy to use my AppleTV

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Fair enough, I do a mixture. For fantastic blockbusters that are keeps I really appreciate the additional sound you get from a disc, and not to mention the increased bit rates for the visual side of things. But yes for others I am happy to use my AppleTV

Because of physical spacing in my apartment, I tend to keep physical copies to a minimum; zero if possible. Would I see a difference? Perhaps. Many times I don't perceive it. Thus far however, I have been truly impressed with the audio quality of the 4k AppleTV. It plays into my 5.1 system perfectly and its truly a theatre-like performance.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Because of physical spacing in my apartment, I tend to keep physical copies to a minimum; zero if possible. Would I see a difference? Perhaps. Many times I don't perceive it. Thus far however, I have been truly impressed with the audio quality of the 4k AppleTV. It plays into my 5.1 system perfectly and its truly a theatre-like performance.
It is good but it honestly isn’t comparable to a disc at full bitrate with full quality sound. The difference really is notable. But there is space for both in my opinion. Especially when some not so great movies can be super cheap on atv. But for block busters that i watch over and over, the disc is seriously much much better.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I apologize if this has been covered but have a few questions. I purchased the 900e and from researching the tv doesn't and will not support DV. Does this mean that the apps in the tv itself will not support DV? Or if I use the atv4k and find a title on Netflix that has the DV symbol, it will play in DV to the tv.

I was thinking about returning the 900e and getting the 930e from which I've read is supposed to support DV in the future. Or would it be advised to go with a different brand tv altogether? The 900e looks great to me but I came from a 2012 LG.

I'm really not up on the terms and formats and recently upgraded everything to 4K.

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I apologize if this has been covered but have a few questions. I purchased the 900e and from researching the tv doesn't and will not support DV. Does this mean that the apps in the tv itself will not support DV? Or if I use the atv4k and find a title on Netflix that has the DV symbol, it will play in DV to the tv.

I was thinking about returning the 900e and getting the 930e from which I've read is supposed to support DV in the future. Or would it be advised to go with a different brand tv altogether? The 900e looks great to me but I came from a 2012 LG.

I'm really not up on the terms and formats and recently upgraded everything to 4K.

The 900E will not get any DV. Sony is restricting to the X1 Extreme chipset which starts on the 930E. FYI, the 930E is much better than the 900E. You won’t regret it if you get it.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. I really want to get a tv that is as future proof as possible at this point and the 930e will do that?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy

If you were happy with LG's WebOS, and quite dissatisfied (like many. Myself for sure) with Android TV, I think for around the same price you may get an LG Oled B7. I think it should have the same display of te Sony A1 Oled, just with a bit inferior electronics, and it also play HDR YouTube videos! I say this as a Sony fan, but that Android TV with its thousand bugs (also when using the ATV 4K) really drives me mad.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Again apologies for as this is my first 4K tv and atv 4K but my understanding is that the native Netflix app on the Sony 930e supports DV but the atv doesn’t support DV over hdmi is that correct?

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Again apologies for as this is my first 4K tv and atv 4K but my understanding is that the native Netflix app on the Sony 930e supports DV but the atv doesn’t support DV over hdmi is that correct?
It does, but at this very moment in the tvOS 11.3 beta version only.
It is also already in public beta status - so accessible to everyone.
As soon as 11.3 gets released, it aTV will support DoVi for everyone.

Reactions: idntknw

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
the new sony xf900 looks VERY interesting , out c feb 7th

it has the sony extreme chip as the 930e so supports dv but looks like it will be c 900e price , ie; affordable

the way things progress these days , in fits and starts , i'm inclined to get one of these and then wait a few years until micro led is easily available

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I’m keeping my 900E. After all, if the aTV is going to take care of the DoblyVision, then I don’t see any reason to switch out. Specially after paying $999.

900E will never support Dolby Vision, even with the new low latency profile where the ATV does most of the work.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well from reading this thread it seems it will. So not sure why this sudden change.

No sudden change. The 900E (2017 model) does not have the X1 Extreme chip that the 930E, 940E and higher models have. This was the requirement for Sony to rollout the DV capabilities.

The 900F (new 2018 model) - will have the X1 Extreme, so that TV is supposed to get the DV update.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
the new sony xf900 looks VERY interesting , out c feb 7th

it has the sony extreme chip as the 930e so supports dv but looks like it will be c 900e price , ie; affordable

The problem is that I am afraid it still has the Mediatek MT5891 SoC, the same in my 2016 XD80.. Or at least that's what I extrapolated from what they said about the A8F.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I’m keeping my 900E. After all, if the aTV is going to take care of the DoblyVision, then I don’t see any reason to switch out. Specially after paying $999.
That's not how it works friend. The 900e does not have the hardware chip to support DV HDR, and never will. If you want HDR10 and DV HDR support with a 2017 Sony model, you need to get a 930e(Awesome TV btw) or higher 2017 Sony TV. If you can wait until spring, Sony's 2018 equivalent to the mid-tier 900e(900F 2018 model) will have said X1 chip for DV HDR support.

I was looking for a bit more future proofing, and coughed up the extra $200 dollars on a 930e for the DV support on my ATV 4K. Plus the If you really care about HDR, the 930e Peak and sustainable brightness is better than the 900e(Which is still pretty good).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.