Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
High Sierra's been officially released right? Because this feels like we're beta testing...... I haven't been this annoyed with a version of OSX since Lion b0rked my perfectly well-oiled Snow Leopard.... jeez I wish I had that OS back.
That's what I was thinking - HS was meant to be the next SL - under the hood refinements to make my mac run smoother - but it's had only the opposite effect.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I did too until HS killed access to my external drives (i.e., backups).

Not sure how that happened, but I have a couple of USB sticks with different versions of OSX. Those can be booted so access to external drives shouldn't be an issue. I'll look into that myself in a few days. You shouldn't be blocked from those drives totally. There are ways... Unless you're saying that HS somehow hosed those drives totally.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Even if one finds a Sierra installer and manages to downgrade, it is impossible to revert the Photos library and the iTunes library to the older versions. That’s my $0.02.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Even if one finds a Sierra installer and manages to downgrade, it is impossible to revert the Photos library and the iTunes library to the older versions. That’s my $0.02.
I downgraded last week. iTunes was OK as they're running the same version (12.7.4) but i had to redownload all my photos from iCloud overnight and then reconfirm 'People'. Apart from that it went OK and I'm much happier (and stable) back on 10.12.6.

Reactions: crjackson2134

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I downgraded last week. iTunes was OK as they're running the same version (12.7.4) but i had to redownload all my photos from iCloud overnight and then reconfirm 'People'. Apart from that it went OK and I'm much happier (and stable) back on 10.12.6.
Lucky you for your photos being in the cloud. My photos library is linked. The size of my collection is about 250 GB. I keep the original photos in an external disk and use a linked library. That way I still have large enough thumbnails to view my photos when offline and save enormous amount of space on my MacBook.

But the disadvantage of course is not being able to download all of them from the cloud like you did.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

That may be an issue for some, but personally... My images & music are stored on a non-apple dedicated drive. They are image files and songs that were IMPORTED into my Mac system and used on the main drive while the original files retain original formatting.

No loss of images or songs for me... I realize not everyone thought of this ahead of time, but it might be something to consider moving forward.
[doublepost=1526058034][/doublepost]I recently had a problem(s) with High Sierra and considered downgrading too. I found that the TM backups being made by HS weren't able to re-create a new bootable drive anymore. I tried several times to no avail. It did complete the restore process and reported success, but the drive wasn't made bootable (reported as "was not blessed properly").

I ended up doing a clean install of HS to a clean SSD and I was given the option to import all apps, files, user data as part of a migrations process. This worked wonderfully and fixed my complaints about HS.

I now use CCC as my preferred BU tool. Making both a bootable clone drive and a portable image file for future use if needed. I also plan to try TM again as an addition protection once some more of the bugs are worked out in APFS and macOS.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Not sure how that happened, but I have a couple of USB sticks with different versions of OSX. Those can be booted so access to external drives shouldn't be an issue. I'll look into that myself in a few days. You shouldn't be blocked from those drives totally. There are ways... Unless you're saying that HS somehow hosed those drives totally.

My system has no problem with USB sticks; however, it doesn't see either of my platter-type externals (one is a Toshiba and the other is a WD). Interestingly, I have this same problem with my MBA which is also running HS.

So, yeah, I'm guessing that HS hosed those drives.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My system has no problem with USB sticks; however, it doesn't see either of my platter-type externals (one is a Toshiba and the other is a WD). Interestingly, I have this same problem with my MBA which is also running HS.

So, yeah, I'm guessing that HS hosed those drives.

Wow. what a bummer. If they’re HFS formatted drives you may have some luck booting to a live Linux media to access those drives for data recovery. I’d look into that.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
That may be an issue for some, but personally... My images & music are stored on a non-apple dedicated drive. They are image files and songs that were IMPORTED into my Mac system and used on the main drive while the original files retain original formatting.

No loss of images or songs for me... I realize not everyone thought of this ahead of time, but it might be something to consider moving forward.
Basically all my media is also on non-Apple dedicated drives. I keep my music files, pictures and videos in their original format on external drives however, the issue is not with the original media but rather the library files of Photos and iTunes. If you are using Photos and / or iTunes, the format of their library files changes from OS version to OS version and usually not backwardly compatible. Pain in the neck but that’s what it is.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Basically all my media is also on non-Apple dedicated drives. I keep my music files, pictures and videos in their original format on external drives however, the issue is not with the original media but rather the library files of Photos and iTunes. If you are using Photos and / or iTunes, the format of their library files changes from OS version to OS version and usually not backwardly compatible. Pain in the neck but that’s what it is.

Yeah, but at least you can import those to a new library format. I just had to do that With photos too. iTunes and music files weren’t affected for me.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

One us needs to test Photos 3 on Sierra - if it works on Sierra ( my guess is does?) then why go back to Photos 2 ?

I will try it later and post back

EDIT - Unfortunately Photos 3 does not work on Sierra 10.12.6, Photos 2 does still work on high Sierra and so does iPhoto

Last edited:
Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.