Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I've managed to downgrade an original iPhone to 1.0.2. 1.0 didn't work for some reason, and 1.0.2 was similar, but with bug fixes.

To be honest, the roadblocks and frustrations it takes to complete the downgrade aren't worth the results. For one, you'll need a spare Windows XP computer to do it (not a VM if I can recall). In my case, the only XP computer I had was from 2001, so that was quite an adventure. Also, you'll need to be prepared to endure through intensive hours of troubleshooting and pulling your hair out. It's a really difficult process, and even if you follow all the instructions, there's still a good chance you'll fall into an error at some point.

And if you can make it through all those barriers and successfully downgrade, you'll quickly realize how limited iPhone OS 1.0 really is. You can't install any additional apps, and after playing around with the included apps (which are quite watered down compared to newer versions), there's a good chance you'll get bored due to what little you can really do. In essence, you're putting yourself through a lot of grief in order to cripple the functionality of your phone.

So unless you like the challenge, cannot live without that dose of nostalgia, or desire to showcase the iPhone like a museum artifact, I wouldn't recommend trying the downgrade. If you do fit one of those three reasons however, I used this YouTube guide to work through the process.
Now I want to get my hands on an original phone just to see the difference. I'd spent enough time in Japan to know that the US flip phones were woefully behind the curve, but even in that context the iPhone seemed like a leap forward at the time. It was even more amazing how quickly it was eclipsed by future models... By the time I bought in with an iPhone 4, it was an entirely different thing.

I really think this is where Apple did well by listening to the demands of the public to open the APIs. Can you imagine if Steve stuck to his guns on only supporting web apps?

Keep up the good fight, OP!

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
You need Zibri's ZiPhone, you need Dev Team's early BootNeuter and Pwnage versions, you need the iPhone OS bundles and even SSH know how. You even need the first unlocking software patch anySIM which is no longer even there in Cydia.

Many things that are no longer available. Specially given how old every thing is.
Did you actually watch the video? There is a download to all of the needed software in the description.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Now I want to get my hands on an original phone just to see the difference. I'd spent enough time in Japan to know that the US flip phones were woefully behind the curve, but even in that context the iPhone seemed like a leap forward at the time. It was even more amazing how quickly it was eclipsed by future models... By the time I bought in with an iPhone 4, it was an entirely different thing.

I really think this is where Apple did well by listening to the demands of the public to open the APIs. Can you imagine if Steve stuck to his guns on only supporting web apps?

Apple didn't listen to the demands of people. They saw that developers in Installer (the first App Store) were making lots of money on paid apps. Furthermore, some of the things developers were managing to do by using Toolchain (the jailbreak equivalent of X-Code for iOS) was outstanding.

Apple was forced to open up APIs as the jailbreak scene only threatened them, plain and simple.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan

Now's the time to buy one. They are becoming collectible and the 2G is worth more than the 3GS!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Did you actually watch the video? There is a download to all of the needed software in the description.

Look dude, if a video shows you, that it can be done, by all means do it. But you've got actual members here telling you it isn't possible. You have already one account (not mine) of someone who has tried and failed. I blieve you also tried and failed.

There is a reason why you can't. Like I said in my earlier response, unless the iPhone in questin was never updated to 1.1.1, it can be done; otherwise, forget it.

On a side note - 1.1.1 is not that far off from 1.0.0

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Look dude, if a video shows you, that it can be done, by all means do it. But you've got actual members here telling you it isn't possible. You have already one account (not mine) of someone who has tried and failed. I blieve you also tried and failed.

There is a reason why you can't. Like I said in my earlier response, unless the iPhone in questin was never updated to 1.1.1, it can be done; otherwise, forget it.

On a side note - 1.1.1 is not that far off from 1.0.0
Like I said before, I'll be trying on Monday. And only one member is telling me it isn't possible. I don't understand how you can still say it isn't possible, even after I showed a video proving it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Like I said before, I'll be trying on Monday. And only one member is telling me it isn't possible. I don't understand how you can still say it isn't possible, even after I showed a video proving it.

Videos can be edited and OS versions can be fooled (there is an app to write in any OS version, it was used to fool iTunes into preventing unwanted upgrades via iTunes). Unless you have seen one working, then it is not possible. Trust me, I have been here for quite a while. I have seen many of these tools, and that process does not stand up.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Apple didn't listen to the demands of people. They saw that developers in Installer (the first Apple Store) were making lots of money on paid apps. Furthermore, some of the things developers were managing to do by using Toolchain (the jailbreak equivalent of X-Code for iOS) was outstanding.

Apple was forced to open up APIs as the jailbreak scene only threatened them, plain and simple.
All the same to me. They saw there was enormous demand and rather than lock it down further, they opened it up. Carefully, and frustratingly slowly, but eventually. I was just remembering the days when it wasn't clear which way they'd go. I never knew how much of Steves "we have an API, it's called the web" presentation was really where he wanted to go and how much was trying to buy time to polish the dev facing APIs...

At the same time, the grassroots developer movement you're describing that not only figured out how to hack a demo app onto the phone but built up sophisticated tool chains to support a community was another amazing thing to watch.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
All the same to me. [...]
At the same time, the grassroots developer movement you're describing that not only figured out how to hack a demo app onto the phone but built up sophisticated tool chains to support a community was another amazing thing to watch.

This was the best thing to witness and be a part of. I still recall the 1.1.1 jailbreak, the easiest ever. Going from there to 1.1.3 and then getting all these tools that opened up the iPhone t everyone.

Truly amazing times. It was truly a cat and mouse game and the MisFits truly gave us a run for it.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Videos can be edited and OS versions can be fooled (there is an app to write in any OS version, it was used to fool iTunes into preventing unwanted upgrades via iTunes). Unless you have seen one working, then it is not possible. Trust me, I have been here for quite a while. I have seen many of these tools, and that process does not stand up.
Would he really go to all of that trouble to make the video if it was a fake? I don't see why.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
I don't blame you for still wanting to downgrade, as that's the same way I felt before I tried it. Once you do complete the process though, I have a feeling you'll understand better where I'm coming from. ;)

Anyway, I can assure you that the video is NOT fake. Like I said, you'll probably encounter errors even if you follow the video word by word, but that's due to how finicky the whole procedure is.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I don't blame you for still wanting to downgrade, as that's the same way I felt before I tried it. Once you do complete the process though, I have a feeling you'll understand better where I'm coming from. ;)

Anyway, I can assure you that the video is NOT fake. Like I said, you'll probably encounter errors even if you follow the video word by word, but that's due to how finicky the whole procedure is.
Good. Thanks for confirming that!

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
EverythingApplePro was able to successfully downgrade the original iPhone to 1.0. He said it was a lengthy challenge but it can be done.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Where's our progress update?!
Sorry, something came up and I couldn't do it. Starting now. Windows XP is downloaded, time to install it.
Update: If you want progress updates, they will be posted here, on post #43.
UPDATE: Installation is going on.
UPDATE: WinXP is installed! Going to pause for about 20 minutes, have to do something.
UPDATE: Having problems with drivers. Trying again on the first Intel Mac.
UPDATE: Not working on any Intel Mac I can try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gathomblipoob

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Add me in as another that has downgraded an original iPhone down to 1.0. It took several hours of scouring old links and archive.org, but I got all the tools that I needed and gave it a go. A few hours later, it was running 1.0. Running 1.0, it wouldn't sync with iTunes. Bumping it to 1.0.2 got it to sync properly. I use my old original running 1.1 as an iPod, and it still works like a champ.

IMG_3656.jpg IMG_3658.jpg

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Add me in as another that has downgraded an original iPhone down to 1.0. It took several hours of scouring old links and archive.org, but I got all the tools that I needed and gave it a go. A few hours later, it was running 1.0. Running 1.0, it wouldn't sync with iTunes. Bumping it to 1.0.2 got it to sync properly. I use my old original running 1.1 as an iPod, and it still works like a champ.

View attachment 667154 View attachment 667155
How did you get the 1.1 IPSW? All I could find was 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and then 1.1.1 - 1.1.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.