Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
The scary part is I think I understand it - certainly better than before!! Thanks for all of your input.

Now for a related question - if 99.9% of my photographic work is going for HD displays (as opposed to prints) do I need to worry much about the megapixel race (cameras that produce 3500+ horizontal pixels)? Many other features come into play I know - so this question is just about the megapixel and resolution thing.

Thanks again.....:eek::eek::eek:

Do you need to worry about the MP race? Does anyone? The answer is a clear no. The fact is that higher MP count will yield sharper images when scaled down, an ability to crop, and uncanny ability to produce more noise.

If I were you, a camera that produces 2400 or so MP vertically would be fine. So anything above an 8.5 MP camera would be a waste. I would go to something that gives you twice the resolution you need due to the simple fact that it will produce sharper images when scaled down.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Lovesong - I have been using a Canon 20D (8MP) for several years with impressive results. It produces up to 3500 pixels on high quality setting. So, if we are limiting ourselves to 1080 displays (1920 x 1080) what is gained by going after double or triple that pixel capability? It sounds like not much - we are getting into the "diminishing returns" area that we all have experienced with hi fidelity gear, car horsepower, etc.

So.......it sounds as if my next purchase in a camera body will be decided by other factors.

butterfly2nd

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
How do i get 300dpi from 130dpi image?

I need to create a pdf from a photo to use as artwork on a cd. I sent the pdf via email and they came back saying that it was 130 dpi and that they need it to be 300dpi, how do I do this? Please help - this is for a project at work

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Guys... as someone who has used Photoshop for years working with images that have to go to print with different types of printers, including web presses (dealing with CMYK separations, lpi settings, etc...) you guys are confusing the hell out of me... :eek: It's a bit of information overload, with with the basic answer to the OP's question buried in there somewhere.

It reminds me of someone asking directions to the corner convenience store, and 20 folks offer up their version of the directions, including pulling out their GPS mappers or google maps, etc, all giving variations on the theme with tons of either redundant or unnecessary information. How about just saying "turn right on this street, go to the first intersection, store is on the left.." ? ;)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Guys... as someone who has used Photoshop for years working with images that have to go to print with different types of printers, including web presses (dealing with CMYK separations, lpi settings, etc...) you guys are confusing the hell out of me... :eek: It's a bit of information overload, with with the basic answer to the OP's question buried in there somewhere.

It reminds me of someone asking directions to the corner convenience store, and 20 folks offer up their version of the directions, including pulling out their GPS mappers or google maps, etc, all giving variations on the theme with tons of either redundant or unnecessary information. How about just saying "turn right on this street, go to the first intersection, store is on the left.." ? ;)

OK... though it's just a bit more complicated than "turn right." I'll give it my best shot:

I need to create a pdf from a photo to use as artwork on a cd. I sent the pdf via email and they came back saying that it was 130 dpi and that they need it to be 300dpi, how do I do this? Please help - this is for a project at work

You need to make the image larger and export it at 300dpi.

Enlarge it by 300/130 (2.3 times), save at 300 dpi. Resend.

Hopefully this will satisfy pdxflint's call for simplicity. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.