Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madforrit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
I just got DSL service from Earthlink. I've been using it for a few days now, and I'm really disappointed with the speed. Yes, I know speed varies on where you live (I live in a CA Bay Area suburb - not too busy and not too rural), but I'm trying to figure out what else may be affecting the speed. The max I've been able to get downloading from various sources in different combinations (Apple, web pages, FTP, etc) is around 12-13k/s (that is total bandwidth, not just from one source). Just wondering if I can even expect faster speed with DSL, or is this what it is (certainly not the "up to 50 times faster than dial-up).
Some factors I was thinking might affect the speed: (?)
1) The phone cable that connects the modem to the jack is long (25 ft.)
2) The phone cable that connects the modem to the jack is a crappy one.
(I can test these pretty easily though...)
3) Some ppl have told me with Earthlink that it took a few days/weeks with the service for it to pick up...i.e. it was really slow at first.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--mad:mad:

Oh, OSX.2.6 on a G4 tower.

jadariv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2002
I've been on earthlink dsl for a number of years and have had no problems except when i very first got it. It was really slow and had something to do with static in the phone lines. I put a new phone jack in and straightened all the wires. My apartment was wired really weird. After that, it worked great. So i could definitely see it being the phone cord or the phone jack itself if you are in an old building.

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
13k.... Ouch...

4.) All of the above.

I have DSL and I LOVE IT. I usually get at least 145 kBYTES/s and have for the past 7 months with no down time.

However, for the first 7 or 8 days my speed was pathetic. Towards the last few days of that period my speed slowly picked up and then I woke up on the last day and tested it and HOLY HELL.... it was fast!!!

Also.... Every bit of extra line lenth affects your speed.... SERIOUSLY. When they tested your line to see if it meets the minimum speed requirement it may have done so and then some, but you may be JUST under the maximum distance to achieve those speeds. 25 feet might just push you over the edge.

Also, depending on what kind of cable you're using, it may be crappy to begin with. CAT5 is a hell of a lot better for runs than phone cable.

Could you instead put the modem right by the jack and then run a 25 ft ethernet cable to your computer? That's really the way to go, because it cuts down on the extra length and the modem sends a reamplified signal through the ethernet cable.

Also.... What kind of obstacles does the cable cross?? Certain things like Florescent lights, poorly insulated power conduits, Wireless Phone Basestations, FM transmitters, and AC power cables will interfere with the signals BADLY and cause the modem to drop down to a lower speed. When I got my job at my office, for instance, My boss couldnt figure out why his DSL wouldnt work off his little guerrila self installation. Apparently he had looped the wire around a powered flourescent tube to run it accross the ceiling!!!

I hope that helps :D
David

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I have SBC DSL and they said to keep it plugged in and turned on for at least 10 days straight. Evidently the continual connection is necessary to optimize it. It did get faster after about a week. I would also recommend replacing the phone jack if it is old and getting a good phone cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.