Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I would argue that full auto mode is equally good on all entry-level DSLRs.

After all, proper exposure it is not rocket science. I remember that even my Minolta X700 had a very usable Program mode (not that I have ever used it). Same with autofocus - on all of the cameras OP has listed it Just Works (TM).

Kit lenses on all these cameras will generally be of the "consumer zoom" kind, and invariably crappy. Expensive p&s lenses are generally better than entry kit lenses - but you will still end up making better shots with your DSLR.

I believe that the choice of the first DSLR should boil down to three things:

1. Features. Some cameras have unique features that are not available from another brand. For example, Olympus has a real working dust cleaning system (not just marketing gimmick one like Canon's), and live view. Even entry level Canon cameras are usable at high ISOs. Sony Alpha has image stabilization built in the body. Pentax cameras have the best viewfinders bar none. And so on, and so forth.

2. User interface and build quality. Go to the store and play with the camera. See if you can figure out how to use it without using the manual. See if anything about the camera annoys you. See if anything has fallen off already from demo units.

3. Upgrade path. See if the manufacturer has any better bodies and lenses (they all do). Think which lenses you might want to get in the future, and if any of the "better" bodies catches your eye. For example, if you like wide anngle shooting, you might want to look at Olympus because of their best in class 7-14 ZD lens. If you think you may want to shoot full frame DSLR at some point in the future, you will have to go with Canon - and avoid buying their APS-specific lenses. Yes, Canon makes essentially two different DSLR systems. There probably are even reasons to choose Sony (I cannot come up with any myself :D).

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I would argue that full auto mode is equally good on all entry-level DSLRs.

After all, proper exposure it is not rocket science. I remember that even my Minolta X700 had a very usable Program mode (not that I have ever used it). Same with autofocus - on all of the cameras OP has listed it Just Works (TM).

Kit lenses on all these cameras will generally be of the "consumer zoom" kind, and invariably crappy. Expensive p&s lenses are generally better than entry kit lenses - but you will still end up making better shots with your DSLR.

I believe that the choice of the first DSLR should boil down to three things:

1. Features. Some cameras have unique features that are not available from another brand. For example, Olympus has a real working dust cleaning system (not just marketing gimmick one like Canon's), and live view. Even entry level Canon cameras are usable at high ISOs. Sony Alpha has image stabilization built in the body. Pentax cameras have the best viewfinders bar none. And so on, and so forth.

2. User interface and build quality. Go to the store and play with the camera. See if you can figure out how to use it without using the manual. See if anything about the camera annoys you. See if anything has fallen off already from demo units.

3. Upgrade path. See if the manufacturer has any better bodies and lenses (they all do). Think which lenses you might want to get in the future, and if any of the "better" bodies catches your eye. For example, if you like wide anngle shooting, you might want to look at Olympus because of their best in class 7-14 ZD lens. If you think you may want to shoot full frame DSLR at some point in the future, you will have to go with Canon - and avoid buying their APS-specific lenses. Yes, Canon makes essentially two different DSLR systems. There probably are even reasons to choose Sony (I cannot come up with any myself :D).

Never a mention of Nikon? It seems like you're bordering on illegal to leave out a player that big...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
All you're asking is whether a DSLR on AUTO mode will take better photos than a P&S in AUTO mode.

The answer is yes.

Now go out and get whatever DSLR you want that is in your budget.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Never a mention of Nikon? It seems like you're bordering on illegal to leave out a player that big...

LOL.
I am just not that familiar with Nikon system, especially the low-end stuff - though I have to admit I love the D200. And if I were choosing between N and C for myself, I would have definitely chosen Nikon...
What I really dislike about Canon is the way they try to stratify all their products. No RAW in digicams anymore - it is a "pro" feature. Lenses are very well divided into L and "non-L", and anything L has an automatic price premium attached just for the L factor. Anything non-L is typically crippled. They make essentially two different, semi-compatible systems - EF and EF-S. There are no L EF-S lenses. Not to say that Canon does not make terrific bodies and terrific glass - they most certainly do.
From what I see, Nikon has less of this market stratification [woops - big brother is watching you]... And I really like the fact that most old N lenses will work on most modern digital bodies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.