Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Lens?

Didnt someone on this topic say that dSLRs are so good that even the kit lens is better than a good P/S lens?

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I thought i should put some of my images in this topic to show that a PnS camera doesn't have to produce inferior images.
On my scale these photographs are good and i like them, others my think different and see some problems here or there, be it composition or technical.
Anyway, if you don't want to see them, scroll down there is some more text on topic.

The camera used was a Sony DSC-P9 from the year 2002. Quick Specs.: 4MP, ISO100-400, f/2.8-5.6 | 39-117mm (equiv.) lens

And here are some Shot with an old, used (means: cheap) 50mm Lens held infront:

My personal Background:

From dec. 2002 to feb. 2007 (about 4 years!) my primary camera was the Sony DSC-P9 and it didn't even belong to me. Basically I learned most things I know about photography during this time period using said camera. My findings are (and they are true for me today), that it does so not matter what camera you have, you have to know it's weak points, it's strong points and it's limitations.

For the P9 these were:
+try not to use anything higher than ISO200. +Only use full zoom when absolutely neccesary. +If light levels were low, either turn on some light or use a tripod +Macro photogrpahy only with lens held infrot, requires very high levels of light. +Be prepared for photos, as it operated only slowly (by todays standards)

Then at the end of 2006 I was feeling severly limited by the camera as it could't bring me any further. Before that point the limiting factor was me, but I had a huge rush of photo-ideas coming of which only 10% could have been taken with the P9.
Then I started researching into DSLRs and finally got me one in Feb. 2007.

What I am trying to say:

If you already know photography very well or you are being severely limited by your current camera then, and only then, go out and lay some cash on a camera that is several steps above your current one, so you can grow into that on again.
But If you're a starter, haven't fully milked the potential of your current camera or just want a DSLR to 'show off' then stay with your current one or get a PnS

have a nice day.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Interesting....

Hmmmmm. I am getting really confused.

Now what I will do is leave it up to my dad. I will try get him to buy me a dSLR, if its not possible then I go for a high end P/S, if not that then a Sony T100 or Canon SD850/900 or something, if not that then I will just forget about the camera. But I am sure I wont get to that because my dad suggested that I get a P/S and the one he pointed to was a Sony T50 so I think I should be able ot get a T100.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Hmmmmm. I am getting really confused.

Now what I will do is leave it up to my dad. I will try get him to buy me a dSLR, if its not possible then I go for a high end P/S, if not that then a Sony T100 or Canon SD850/900 or something, if not that then I will just forget about the camera. But I am sure I wont get to that because my dad suggested that I get a P/S and the one he pointed to was a Sony T50 so I think I should be able ot get a T100.

It doesn't seem like you really want a dSLR at all. It seems more like you want the best camera your dad's willing to buy for you. If you really wanted a dSLR and all the features and advantages it offers you'd be doing a lot more independent research about the pros and cons and figuring out exactly what you wanted rather simply asking other people for advice.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
T100?

Doesnt the T100 have basic manual control and stuff *similar* to a dSLR? It got an 8.2 from CNET, I felt too lazy to check right now. Which P/S would you recommend after the G7, S3, S5 and Fz50 as a practice cam so that I can step up to a dSLR confidently later on?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Cleary the OP isn't looking for a FF camera, and he doesn't want film -It's slightly ignorant to continue to "offer" advice when it's not in the parameters of the topic or question at hand.

Who is advising to the OP? I'm just commenting on the previous post.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Doesnt the T100 have basic manual control and stuff *similar* to a dSLR? It got an 8.2 from CNET, I felt too lazy to check right now. Which P/S would you recommend after the G7, S3, S5 and Fz50 as a practice cam so that I can step up to a dSLR confidently later on?

You have to look at the design of the camera. The T-100 is a tiny, sleek camera designed for snapshots, party pictures etc. It's essentially a full-auto camera. There may be scene modes, and there may be a certain degree of manual control, but that's not what the aim of the camera is.

The G7, S3/5 etc... they're designed to be "bridge" cameras; bridging the gap between P&S and dSLR. They feature elements of manual control, much like SLR's. However, they're designed for people who want the whole package. Like someone mentioned earlier, they're for people who want more control, but can't afford a $1000 camera, + many expensive lenses to get an 18-400mm range (or whatever the actual focal length is).

Dingdongbubble... what do you want? You're not giving us much help here. Someone who is serious about photography wouldn't even consider a T-100 over a dSLR or a bridge camera. Do you want a modern digital camera that will take nice photos? Do you want to just show off to your friends? Do you want to scam your dad out of the best camera possible? You're consistently contradicting yourself and not standing up for your position.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Undecided

Well thanks to some poster I am quite undecisive right now. On one hand I want a dSLR because of its capabilities which can 'grow' with me and its speed and most importantly its low light. On the other hand, a bridge camera sounds good because it should have most of the dSLR functions, I can practice, I wont have to buy lenses.

I have flicked off the T100 from my possible list and have the FZ50, S3, S5 and of course the dSLRs on it.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.