Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Actually forgot to test Duet Display on my new iPP! Just gave it a whirl - works like a charm.

I now have my 13" MBP connected to an external 24" Dell, with the iPP running as a third window (but being about the same size at the 13" MBP's screen [crazy!], sitting between the two.

Can definitely see myself getting way more use out of it now, than before on the Air 1, where the lag was very often noticeable, and the screen size not that much of a bonus to warrant its extended use.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
I use it like this a lot now.

But the images I use don't change constantly, like video would. I think its best for that. But used this way, it's really great.

I'm actually using it as a display for a Mac mini. Also, since i'm not using it for video presently, it uses very little cpu (like 3%, or some very low number)

Last edited:

sic77

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
London
Any XCode developers out there using Duet Display with the iOS simulator running on the iPad Pro? If so do you experience any random flicker on the iOS simulator. This happened when I used duet display on my iPad 3 so wandering whether the issue still occurs.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It has a SLIGHT lag but it's totally worth it.. When working in after effects I never know where to put all my UI panels, so the iPad pro is the solution :)

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I use Duet all the time with my 15" MBP. I carry both with me, so it's extremely handy to be able to have a dual display on the go (at home I have a 32" 4k hooked up to a cylinder MP, in the office it's dual 27" Apple Thunderbolts on a cylinder MP).

Out of all of those choices... I love sitting wherever I want with my laptop and Duet :)

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
wow this is cool. im actually thinking about keeping the ipad pro now just because if this app. the ipad pro is now a perfect companion device to my cintiq companion. really handy for days when im away from the studio but need to get work done!

mcfly2

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
TX
I just got Duet, and it works great. I don't notice any lag. The problem is my battery draining.
I'm running Windows 8.1 on a 2014 Macbook Pro under Bootcamp. According to this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377
"An Apple computer started up to Windows via BootCamp will not provide extra power." to the usb port. So I can understand why the battery is draining. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I just got Duet, and it works great. I don't notice any lag. The problem is my battery draining.
I'm running Windows 8.1 on a 2014 Macbook Pro under Bootcamp. According to this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377
"An Apple computer started up to Windows via BootCamp will not provide extra power." to the usb port. So I can understand why the battery is draining. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?
Use a vm such as Parallels that can access and run your Bootcamp partition inside of OSX.

Alterntively you could try a powered hub and see if it will power your IPP when booting into Bootcamp n

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
iPad Pro is arriving tomorrow. I got it primarily for note taking but I just had this epiphany that I could also use it as a second display for web development on the go.

Just curious, how does running duet display affect laptop battery life? I would be using with a 2013 MBA. Is the battery drain so much that I would need to be connected to a charger if I was say using this to work for 3-4hrs in a coffee shop?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
iPad Pro is arriving tomorrow. I got it primarily for note taking but I just had this epiphany that I could also use it as a second display for web development on the go.

Just curious, how does running duet display affect laptop battery life? I would be using with a 2013 MBA. Is the battery drain so much that I would need to be connected to a charger if I was say using this to work for 3-4hrs in a coffee shop?
I haven't noticed any significant battery drain when using Duet with my iPad pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.