Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
so what good is a 3G service? I'll stick with my venerable (and pocketable) touch. Today's unveiling of the iPad (feminine hygiene product come to mind??) is a major MEH!!

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
So a laptop would be even less use to anybody wanting a portable computer!

And that's funny, the feminine hygiene product part. I've never heard that EVER.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009

And that's funny, the feminine hygiene product part. I've never heard that EVER.

I don't carry my netbook with me either, of course. Even on vacation, it sits at home and my wife brings hers along. If I MUST, I'll borrow hers for a few moments, but can manage a lot with my Touch and MiFi which I adore.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
so what good is a 3G service? I'll stick with my venerable (and pocketable) touch. Today's unveiling of the iPad (feminine hygiene product come to mind??) is a major MEH!!

Well since it's not useful for you personally, they should have just not included that option at all.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It is smaller than netbooks with similar screensizes in terms of weight and thickness.

seems like it would be good to carry around in that capacity.

I view it more as something to use around the house and take it when I go on trips, not something I carry around with me everywhere I go.

the iPhone or iPod touch fill that market segment.

There is not one device for all situations, and it seems Apple found a hole here and is trying to fill it.

Seems to me they did find a hole because there are times that I wish my iphone had a bigger screen.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Well since it's not useful for you personally, they should have just not included that option at all.

3g or no 3g (I currently use a pricey (but I'm worth it) MiFi), so cost isn't much of a factor, but USABILITY and PORTABILITY are huge for me. the ipad doesn't cut it in either regard. This is a very poor showing, by Jobs and Co.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Hygiene product? You'll just have to get over the name I guess. With the right kind of media your iTouch could sound a bit funny too. :p

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Ugh, what were they thinking, not specifically targeting you with this device? The nerve of them!

LOL! I love their ipods--I've got 11 of them, including several my wife has, but this product doesn't cut it with me and 70% of the respondents to a Macrumors poll today...

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
LOL! I love their ipods--I've got 11 of them, including several my wife has, but this product doesn't cut it with me and 70% of the respondents to a Macrumors poll today...

If it's only 70%, then Apple is gonna rake in a ton of cash with this thing. I'd be curious what the iPhone poll said a couple of hours after launch - I bet it was far higher than 70%. :)

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
70% of the members of MR who said they aren't impressed are a HUGE minority, poll the whole damn world if you want unbiased results.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
If it's only 70%, then Apple is gonna rake in a ton of cash with this thing. I'd be curious what the iPhone poll said a couple of hours after launch - I bet it was far higher than 70%. :)

I don't remember exact figures, but IIRC, it (iPhone) was demoed to great applause and enthusiasm. I don't get the sense that this unveiling got quite the fanboi-welcome of the original (and flawed) iPhone.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
It is smaller than netbooks with similar screensizes in terms of weight and thickness.

seems like it would be good to carry around in that capacity.

I view it more as something to use around the house and take it when I go on trips, not something I carry around with me everywhere I go.

the iPhone or iPod touch fill that market segment.

There is not one device for all situations, and it seems Apple found a hole here and is trying to fill it.

Seems to me they did find a hole because there are times that I wish my iphone had a bigger screen.

There are situations where having something more powerful than the iPhone/iPod Touch is needed. And it may be possible to use this with Google Voice over WiFi/3G and hold conversations. Have to see the product when it is released. :D

Hygiene product? You'll just have to get over the name I guess. With the right kind of media your iTouch could sound a bit funny too. :p

Anyone remember PeeWee Herman and why he got arrested? :rolleyes:

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
MacRumors readers tend to be Apple fans ranging from user to fanatic. Your right, the results are biased, toward people who love Apple so they might really be in trouble.

70% of the members of MR who said they aren't impressed are a HUGE minority, poll the whole damn world if you want unbiased results.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
MacRumors readers tend to be Apple fans ranging from user to fanatic. Your right, the results are biased, toward people who love Apple so they might really be in trouble.

true, but it seems as though it would be a little biased as to those who are computer fanatics, or just tech-savvy with Apple products. there are probably a whole lot of devoted Apple customers that aren't looking for huge specs and have low standards towards Apple in general, and the iPad might satisfy them.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

You would think that Macrumors users would be biased in favor of anything Apple makes, but in reality they seem to have unreasonably high expectations and are overly critical of everything Apple does.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Looking at Apple's video, it seems to be a device to laze out surfing the web at home, not to take out.

But it doesn't have Flash, so it's dubious even for that (even if I don't like Flash).

I said web, because for books it would have to be electronic ink.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Here is the final packaging for that product from Failblog.org

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 106

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Not true. I can throw my laptop in my bag with no worries. I put this iPad in my bag and the screen is cracked before I get out the door. This is true with any "slate" device however. I just can't see how it is going to be very portable. It will require a substantial cover to keep pressure off of that screen.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I don't carry my netbook with me either, of course. Even on vacation, it sits at home and my wife brings hers along. If I MUST, I'll borrow hers for a few moments, but can manage a lot with my Touch and MiFi which I adore.
Well, as an equally valid counter point to you, I carry and use my Dell mini 9 with me every single day. I tether it to my cell phone via wifi and use the hell out of it all the time.

Ugh, what were they thinking, not specifically targeting you with this device? The nerve of them!

I know, crazy isn't it!?

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Well, as an equally valid counter point to you, I carry and use my Dell mini 9 with me every single day. I tether it to my cell phone via wifi and use the hell out of it all the time.

I know, crazy isn't it!?

and I counter your counter with "most people are not interested in schlepping around all that hardware!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.