Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
For a while now, I’ve been getting duplicate notifications for many calendar events. It happens regardless of whether I have notifications turned on for the stock Calendar app or Fantastical; it happens on both my Watch and my phone; and it the double notifications come from different calendars that I have synced (not just one).

I’ve made sure that I don’t have duplicate instances of the same calendar turned on; each time, they’re duplicate instances of individual notifications from a single active calendar. I also hoped the problem would be resolved when I switched to a new phone, but it was not (granted, I transferred settings from my previous phone, didn’t set up as new).

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just to be sure, the problem is duplicate notification for calendar entries, not duplicate calendar entries as the thread title suggests?

You mentioned that you receive notifiications "regardless of whether I have notifications turned on ..." I'm a little unclear what this means. Are you saying that when you have turned all calendar Notifications off completely on both devices, you're still getting them?

The standard troubleshooting step for duplicate calendar notifications is to turn off Notifications completely for all calendars (so Apple calendar and Fantastical) on your phone and watch, restart both devices, and then re-enable Notifications, but perhaps you've already tried this.

If this doesn't resolve it, how are you receiving the notifications on your phone: banner, notification center, or lock screen?

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Just to be sure, the problem is duplicate notification for calendar entries, not duplicate calendar entries as the thread title suggests?

You mentioned that you receive notifiications "regardless of whether I have notifications turned on ..." I'm a little unclear what this means. Are you saying that when you have turned all calendar Notifications off completely on both devices, you're still getting them?

The standard troubleshooting step for duplicate calendar notifications is to turn off Notifications completely for all calendars (so Apple calendar and Fantastical) on your phone and watch, restart both devices, and then re-enable Notifications, but perhaps you've already tried this.

If this doesn't resolve it, how are you receiving the notifications on your phone: banner, notification center, or lock screen?

First, apologies for borking the thread title – I wrote “entries” where I meant “notifications.” (I’ve fixed it, for clarity.) Yes, the issue is duplicate notifications from the same entry.

I also see I wasn’t clear when talking about Calendar vs. Fantastical. To rephrase: this issue isn’t app-specific, as it happens on both those apps (I have the same set of calendars synced to both); or, more precisely, it occurs on whichever of those apps happens to have calendar notifications turned on (I’ve tried going back and forth).

I will try the troubleshooting step you suggested, thanks! I am receiving the notifications on banner, NC, and lock screen; as well as my watch. The duplicate notifications show up in all these places... one right on the heels of another.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Using iCloud and have Calendars turned on? If so, after checking on iCloud that Calendars look good, turn iCloud Calendars off (with "delete from my" option) and on to reset everything (hopefully) in Calendar.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpavilion

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I recall that at least the Calendar app offers (or offered) the ability to have multiple notifications for the same app. Not sure if this might be in play, but perhaps there might be something related to that where events have multiple alerts associated with them.

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
I have the same issue, and I think I know the fix. If two people are on the same calendar, then if they add an event, and you add one, you will get however many notifications are the people in your family that added the same event. Hope it helps, and let me know what you think.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I have the same issue, and I think I know the fix. If two people are on the same calendar, then if they add an event, and you add one, you will get however many notifications are the people in your family that added the same event. Hope it helps, and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the reply; unfortunately, these are not shared calendars!

I appreciate everyone’s efforts; maybe someone will revive this thread at some point with a breakthrough.

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for the reply; unfortunately, these are not shared calendars!

I appreciate everyone’s efforts; maybe someone will revive this thread at some point with a breakthrough.

Oh. Sorry for the inconvenience.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I know this issue is a few years old but as of the week upgrading to the new iOS (16) this problem has now plagued me.

Ive noticed the alerts are being sent (on time) then are continuously re-sent hourly (so I keep get multiple alerts even if they have been silenced.)

I believe this has something to do with an iCloud glitch and system updates (iOS and macOS). I get similar glitches with HomeKit and any system that 'talks across devices' on my login.

Im concerned it may be some 'incompatibility ' between iCloud and my VPN (Surfshark) ???

Curious if the OP has found a resolution?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.