Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Hello,

I have noticed a dust spot inside the telephoto camera of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It appeared 5 months ago and it's only visible in photo mode (not videos). It's definitely affecting the quality of the pictures.

I took it to the apple store thinking that they could replace the entire phone but they offered me to replace the camera modules and I said I would think about it.
I am a little skeptical about disassembing and reassembling the phone. Could this afftect other components and create more serious problems than this?

What do you think? I don't have Apple Care but standard warranty is valid until October 2023 (we have 2 years of standard warranty in EU)

Attachments

• tempImageLWVpxQ.png
    tempImageLWVpxQ.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 537

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
A refurbished replacement phone will be worse as you’re getting used parts. Let them replace the camera module. It has warranty after that.

Reactions: fpenta

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
It's a shame to have to get something repaired (even at no charge) while being hesitant about getting it back in worse shape or with some other problem.
And it happens.
There are hacks of all kinds out there.
I had many customers request certain mechanics because of their reputation and efficiency.
Talk to the manager about it before having the work done.
Convey that you are picky but not unreasonable.
You just want it done correctly, by the book, with the proper tools and materials, by an accomplished repair person.
And no damage that it didn't come in with!
Not too much to ask.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Much depends on the skill of the repair person. Getting the phone put back together and still being water resistant is questionable.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
This morning I went ahead to get it repair. I also asked to replace the battery. Phone looks and works perfectly. No problem so far. I still have 1 year of warranty anyway if something happens.

Reactions: turbochgd

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Hello,

I have noticed a dust spot inside the telephoto camera of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It appeared 5 months ago and it's only visible in photo mode (not videos). It's definitely affecting the quality of the pictures.

I took it to the apple store thinking that they could replace the entire phone but they offered me to replace the camera modules and I said I would think about it.
I am a little skeptical about disassembing and reassembling the phone. Could this afftect other components and create more serious problems than this?

What do you think? I don't have Apple Care but standard warranty is valid until October 2023 (we have 2 years of standard warranty in EU)
Was the dust a lot? Did you manage to take a picture of the dust ?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This morning I went ahead to get it repair. I also asked to replace the battery. Phone looks and works perfectly. No problem so far. I still have 1 year of warranty anyway if something happens.

Don’t let a couple people scare you. If Apple allows for self repair of the camera, the store can certainly do it.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Was the dust a lot? Did you manage to take a picture of the dust ?
It was a big dot. Very annoying. Had to remove it with Snapseed everytime I wanted to post a pic on my social. Working great now after the repair.

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
I often go to Apple Store at Orchard, Singapore for part replacement and they I did their job perfectly, not a single mark or sign found. I doubt it depends a lot on the technician skill. They also told me they replaced the glue so that water resistance would be even better.

Reactions: fpenta

mds1920

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
nyc
8B66BDD9-C156-407D-809D-988941C3C3A3.jpeg
0DE2260F-9A0C-476F-A99D-8BFEE18E01D7.jpeg
Hi! Since I can’t create a question as I’m new here and I don’t quite know how this works. I have noticed some like dot that looks like dust but can be a scratch too (but I can’t feel it with nails), I have under it the main camera and my only concern is if it will or is affecting the quality of the photos. I will leave 2 photos above. If anyone could at least answering, I would be very thankful. My phone is 13 pro, I have it for abt 3 months.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
View attachment 2124881 View attachment 2124882 Hi! Since I can’t create a question as I’m new here and I don’t quite know how this works. I have noticed some like dot that looks like dust but can be a scratch too (but I can’t feel it with nails), I have under it the main camera and my only concern is if it will or is affecting the quality of the photos. I will leave 2 photos above. If anyone could at least answering, I would be very thankful. My phone is 13 pro, I have it for abt 3 months.
Best bet would be to take it into Apple have them look at it with magnification and see whether it is a scratch or dust inside. For testing to see if you even want to do that (since an Apple store may be far or your schedule doesn't allow easy trips) you can try to take a solid white and solid black paper and see if you can see the spot within your images, if you have a nice clear day too where OP had the solid blue from the sky to really be able to see the dust that affected OPs pictures.

Reactions: mds1920

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
that is too close to have any effect on the photo quality.... has to be something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.