Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caleb Hauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
I'm using Handbrake on my 12" MacBook (2017, i5, 16GB/512GB) to encode a bunch of Will & Grace DVDs that I ripped using MacTheRipper on my 12" iBook G4, and it's so slow! It handles it well for a bit, but then it stops boosting (never throttles) and slows down a ton. Does anybody have any suggestions for software/settings/codecs to use to encode these DVDs faster while maintaining a high quality? Thanks!

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
These MacBooks are very underpowered and are not really built for encoding or heavy tasking like rendering or encoding.

Good luck finding a solution (have a MacBook 2015 - and really like it -but it is only for basic tasks).

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I stared ripping DVDs using a PowerBook 12"(spinning drive) in 2007 and that would take all day.
the quality was still good and I still have many mp4 from that year.
just be patient, restart when things get slow and use no other app while doing this.
I liked the handbrake due feature and started with MrMonk, then 007 then every Oscar which took a week to install.
also what helped was using an iMac igloo that stored the videos so I didn't have dupes.
now I use a MacBook Pro '12 which cuts time in 3/4!

hope this helped.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I stared ripping DVDs using a PowerBook 12"(spinning drive) in 2007 and that would take all day.
the quality was still good and I still have many mp4 from that year.
just be patient, restart when things get slow and use no other app while doing this.
I liked the handbrake due feature and started with MrMonk, then 007 then every Oscar which took a week to install.
also what helped was using an iMac igloo that stored the videos so I didn't have dupes.
now I use a MacBook Pro '12 which cuts time in 3/4!

hope this helped.
The only issue I have with rendering with my MacBook 2015 (and is probably likewise the 2017) is that it will really keep the CPU hot too much given the age of the MacBook. Changing out the dried up thermal paste on these laptops is a scary challenge (and I have worked on anything Tech for ages).

I created a DVD and also used handbrake and it took all day...but the quality is fine. Ran way to hot to long and is not worth it really; unless you don't care about an aging MacBook. I want to keep mine for as long as I can since it does not look like Apple has plans on another 12" (or for some time).

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The only issue I have with rendering with my MacBook 2015 (and is probably likewise the 2017) is that it will really keep the CPU hot too much given the age of the MacBook. Changing out the dried up thermal paste on these laptops is a scary challenge (and I have worked on anything Tech for ages).

I created a DVD and also used handbrake and it took all day...but the quality is fine. Ran way to hot to long and is not worth it really; unless you don't care about an aging MacBook. I want to keep mine for as long as I can since it does not look like Apple has plans on another 12" (or for some time).
yep, fixing things can be fun and annoying as well- using thermal paste is a skill and luck!
I replaced everything on my Macs since 1999,
and hopefully adding the second drive on the MBP 12 will be the end!

that MacBook is beautiful,
but as we al know now that fan-less concept
great that the time, can't push anything beyond what the chip can perform.

I have not tried ripping DVDs on the MacBook Air M1 (8gb) but im sure that will be fast!

Reactions: loby

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
If you want good quality and low bitrates, it will be slow.

If you want good quality and fast processing, choose a higher bitrate. But then you’ll have to live with big files.

Every time I tested hardware acceleration, the quality was visually abysmal. If it’s a hollywood movie, you may not care though

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm using Handbrake on my 12" MacBook (2017, i5, 16GB/512GB) to encode a bunch of Will & Grace DVDs that I ripped using MacTheRipper on my 12" iBook G4, and it's so slow! It handles it well for a bit, but then it stops boosting (never throttles) and slows down a ton. Does anybody have any suggestions for software/settings/codecs to use to encode these DVDs faster while maintaining a high quality? Thanks!
Oof. A 12-inch MacBook (or any USB-C Intel MacBook Air, for that matter) uses really underpowered Intel Y-series processors that suck at doing pretty much everything other than basic web browsing or software installation. Sadly, my recommendation would be to try this on a Mac with greater performance.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
yep, fixing things can be fun and annoying as well- using thermal paste is a skill and luck!
I replaced everything on my Macs since 1999,
and hopefully adding the second drive on the MBP 12 will be the end!

that MacBook is beautiful,
but as we al know now that fan-less concept
great that the time, can't push anything beyond what the chip can perform.

I have not tried ripping DVDs on the MacBook Air M1 (8gb) but im sure that will be fast!
I have reapplied thermal paste on a few of my Macs and the one that I would like to never have to do again was Mac Pro 2013. Did it two years ago, so it should last me for the life of the Mac.

But 12" MacBook is REALLY a challenge too. Trying to hold out as long as possible before having to open and gut it to apply new thermal paste. Temperatures still run cool, so maybe I can squeak out a few more years before having to do surgery on the 12" MacBook. :). I take it in to Apple this week for a possible battery replacement (if they still have batteries) and would love if I could get Apple to reapply the thermal paste since it is already gutted etc. Highly doubt it...so I will have to one day do it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.