Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Just throwing this idea out there, I'm not all that well-versed in the ins and outs of disk images. I'd be willing to backup my 2013 MBP, wipe it and restore it to High Sierra. Could I then create a disk image on a USB, and then try restoring it to the 2011 MBP's hard drive via disk utility in the manner described here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/disk-utility/dskutl14078/16.0/mac/10.13

Is this a possibility, or would the fact that they're different machines with different hardware mean this can't work? IDK.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Is this a possibility, or would the fact that they're different machines with different hardware mean this can't work?
It can. macOS installs can be transferred between systems.

Next up, Snow Leopard install DVD...Nope, back to Recovery.
That’s very strange. The original install disc “should” always work. This might sound drastic, but you could try removing the hard drive and see if it finally boots from the DVD then. If so, you could use Target Disk Mode or a USB-to-SATA adapter to externally erase the hard drive which will put an end to the Recovery shenanigans.

With that being said, can you boot the MBP into Target Disk Mode? Hold [T] after powering on.

Last edited:

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC

That’s very strange. The original install disc “should” always work. This might sound drastic, but you could try removing the hard drive and see if it finally boots from the DVD then. If so, you could use Target Disk Mode or a USB-to-SATA adapter to externally erase the hard drive which will put an end to the Recovery shenanigans.

With that being said, can you boot the MBP into Target Disk Mode? Hold [T] after powering on.
YES! It did boot into Target Disk Mode! I will await the cable and adapter.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC

Still waiting on the firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. But, looking into the other option, removing the hard drive. Is this
what you were referring to?
ETA: changed link to Canadian supplier

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So I followed the Apple Support instructions for installing Mac OS via Target Disc Mode. The MBP with the install disk in it, in Target Mode, is a late-2013 and has no built-in optical drive, so I used a SuperDrive via USB. I tried two ways:

• by starting using 'option' then connecting the 2011 MBP to the Target Mode machine with the install disc in the SuperDrive. The Install disc/ drive did not appear, I only saw Mac OS X Recovery as an option
  • I shut down the 2011 MBP and left the firewire connected, and restarted using 'option'. Again, the Install disc/drive did not appear.
So I did some more research. Apparently, the 2011 MBP shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or 10.6.7, but the retail full install version is 10.6.3 and can't be used to re-install SL on the machine. <sigh>

So this means that even with a new SSD installed, the 2011 MBP wouldn't boot with the SL retail install disk, right?

So I just checked, because I figured I bought the multi-pack version of SL for a reason. My ancient 2008 black MBP is, in fact, running SL 10.6.8 :rolleyes:😂. So now I'm looking into what options are available to me from that end. Stay tuned, or jump in if anyone has fresh ideas!

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I've done some research, but everything I've found talks about cloning to a new HD/SSD connected via enclosure or USB adapter cable, then installing it in the new drive. Is it possible to clone directly from the 2008 MB to the 2011 MB, maybe via firewire?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So I did some more research. Apparently, the 2011 MBP shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or 10.6.7, but the retail full install version is 10.6.3 and can't be used to re-install SL on the machine. <sigh>
Correct. 10.6.3 will kernel panic because of the Sandy Bridge CPU, which it's too old to recognise. You need at least the special 10.6.6 version the 2011 MBPs came with for proper Sandy Bridge support.

So this means that even with a new SSD installed, the 2011 MBP wouldn't boot with the SL retail install disk, right?
Correct.

My ancient 2008 black MBP is, in fact, running SL 10.6.8 :rolleyes:😂. So now I'm looking into what options are available to me from that end.
Connect the 2011 MBP to the 2008 MBP via FireWire, put the 2011 MBP in Target Disk Mode and clone the 2008's Snow Leopard installation to the 2011 MBP using e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper! or even Disk Utility's "Restore" function (but IIRC the latter only works if the target drive is at least as big as the source drive).

Is it possible to clone directly from the 2008 MB to the 2011 MB, maybe via firewire?
Absolutely. That's the nice thing about Macs and Target Disk Mode. You can just do things like that. I've done it countless times. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Correct. 10.6.3 will kernel panic because of the Sandy Bridge CPU, which it's too old to recognise. You need at least the special 10.6.6 version the 2011 MBPs came with for proper Sandy Bridge support.

Correct.

Connect the 2011 MBP to the 2008 MBP via FireWire, put the 2011 MBP in Target Disk Mode and clone the 2008's Snow Leopard installation to the 2011 MBP using, say, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper! or even Disk Utility's "Restore" function.

Absolutely. That's the nice thing about Macs and Target Disk Mode. You can just do things like that. I've done it countless times. :)
So I got as far as CCC's website, but the version I can use for 10.6.8 is no longer available. But, I found this.

• Does anyone know if this is a safe site?
  • Would I just download and install it on the 2008 MB, connect via firewire to the 2011 MBP, boot it in Target mode, then use CCC to clone it to the 2011's HD?
  • If it's not a safe site, can someone point me to detailed instructions on how to do this via Disk Utility?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Good advice from @Amethyst1. I ran into this problem whilst reinstalling Snow Leopard to my MacBook Air and I discovered that the retail disc was too old and that I'd need to find a newer version. I've done the FireWire cloning method myself and it's much easier than what I had to devise for the MacBook Air...

So I got as far as CCC's website, but the version I can use for 10.6.8 is no longer available. But, I found this.

• Does anyone know if this is a safe site?

That site is "safe" but I'd strongly recommend that you download CCC instead from Macintosh Garden because it will be faster, free from download limits and the webmaster for that site simply downloads software from the Garden and places it on their site.

• Would I just download and install it on the 2008 MB, connect via firewire to the 2011 MBP, boot it in Target mode, then use CCC to clone it to the 2011's HD?

Yes. :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Does anyone know if this is a safe site?
Yes, it’s fine… in this regard. But the “Macintosh Garden” as mentioned by @TheShortTimer is a much better option.

Would I just download and install it on the 2008 MB, connect via firewire to the 2011 MBP, boot it in Target mode, then use CCC to clone it to the 2011's HD?
Yes. You need to boot the 2011 in Target Disk Mode, in case that was unclear.

If it's not a safe site, can someone point me to detailed instructions on how to do this via Disk Utility?
You can also download the 10.6-compatible version of SuperDuper! right from their website and it does the same thing as CCC.

Last edited:

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Good advice from @Amethyst1. I ran into this problem whilst reinstalling Snow Leopard to my MacBook Air and I discovered that the retail disc was too old and that I'd need to find a newer version. I've done the FireWire cloning method myself and it's much easier than what I had to devise for the MacBook Air...

That site is "safe" but I'd strongly recommend that you download CCC instead from Macintosh Garden because it will be faster, free from download limits and the webmaster for that site simply downloads software from the Garden and places it on their site.

Yes. :)
OK, so I didn't see this before I proceeded to a certain extent.

I DID try to download from MacIntosh Garden, but I got as far as 63 kb, and nothing more. So I went to to Macintosh Repository and downloaded it from there. It took seconds to download.

To get it to run, though, I had to do some changes to the system files as per a comment on MacIntosh Garden. This is what I did:

To allow CCC 3.4.7 to work on 10.6 Snow Leopard go to /System/CoreServices/ Then find "SystemVersion.plist"
Open it in a text editor and change both values from "10.6.X" to 10.5.3.

This required changing permissions, not a big deal as I am the only one using the 2008 MB. I did get CCC to open. HOWEVER, the MB no longer has a functioning battery. I had to shut it down and move it to where I had power and was close to the 2011. And now it won't boot up. I keep getting the spinning dashes and that's it. I suspect the SystemVersion changes have caused the problem. Is there any way to fix this, or have I just bricked a second MacBook?

ETA: I've tried Command + R, booting with Snow Leopard install disk in the drive, and Safe Mode. Nothing works. 😫

ETA#2: I restarted it pressing C with the Snow Leopard disc in the drive and I'm at the Install screen with access to Utilities!!! I'm trying Repair Disk. Nope, 'could not unmount disk'. Now I'm verifying. Got a corrupted disk message and told to repair. Clicked Repair again. Invalid directory item count. Repairing volume. Volume repaired. Exited Installer, but now I have to select a startup disk, and the MacIntosh HD is showing 10.5.3.

What's my best course of action? Is there a way to undo the SystemVersion.plist changes via Terminal? I'm afraid if I try to start up from MacIntosh HD, I'll just have the same problem again. And if I select Install Snow Leopard, will I be back to 10.6.3 and unable to upgrade it?

I have Windows XP on another partition as an option for startup. Would I be able to gain access the Mac OS SystemVersion file from there to undo the change?

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
To get it to run, though, I had to do some changes to the system files as per a comment on MacIntosh Garden.
This is where I’d have hit the brakes.
SuperDuper! 2.7.1 works fine on Snow Leopard and doesn’t require any messing with system files. I’ve been using it to clone partitions.

Is there a way to undo the SystemVersion.plist changes via Terminal?
If the command-line environment on the install DVD includes nano (a text editor), then there’s a chance. Try entering
nano “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist”.
If your hard drive is named differently, change the path to match. If the editor opens, change the version back to 10.6.8, press CTRL-O to save, CTRL-X to exit. Reboot and hope for the best.

And if I select Install Snow Leopard, will I be back to 10.6.3 and unable to upgrade it?
There’s an option called “Archive and Install”
Correction: The installer automatically reinstalls just the OS but leaves applications and data intact. Afterwards, you can update to 10.6.8 again.

I have Windows XP on another partition as an option for startup. Would I be able to gain access the Mac OS SystemVersion file from there to undo the change?
Yes, but you need software like TransMac to access the HFS+ partition.

Last edited:

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Thank you. I wish I had checked for updates before I went ahead. "nano" didn't work, nor did a variety of other commands to open a text editor in Terminal I was able to find through research.

I opted for installing Snow Leopard from the disk, but was not offered the 'archive and install' option. It seems to be going ok so far.

My main priority is regaining access to the 2008 MB as I have photos there I have never been able to transfer to my subsequent MBP. If I can't update to 10.6.8 to resuscitate the 2011, so be it.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I opted for installing Snow Leopard from the disk, but was not offered the 'archive and install' option. It seems to be going ok so far.
I think you need to click “Options” before the installation is about to begin to select “Archive and Install”. It’s a bit hidden.

My main priority is regaining access to the 2008 MB as I have photos there I have never been able to transfer to my subsequent MBP.
As long as you didn’t erase, repartition or reformat the hard drive, you should be good to go.

Last edited:

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I did select 'Customize' but all it did was list things like languages and fonts etc. to select or de-select. I went ahead anyway. I've never know a Mac to do anything but install the OS over the old one if the drive isn't formatted specifically, so I'm hoping you're right.🤞

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Forget what I said about needing to select “Archive and Install”. The option to do that has been removed from Snow Leopard’s installer but it automatically does that when you install over an existing OS, so you’ll be fine. Sorry, my memory failed me on that one.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
It's baa-aack!
tempImagednsWjo.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.