Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesmcnee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Any suggestions for an easy -- easy to learn, easy to use -- design app for the iPad?

My daughter has a recent iPad -- but not the pro -- with stylus. She does well with the basic drawing apps but would like to take things a step beyond.

Thanks

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
I recommend Adobe Fresco for creating realistic paintings and drawings using watercolors, oils, and other tools. The application is user-friendly, mainly when used with a stylus.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
If this about painting/drawing: AutoDesk Sketchbook (which is free, if you do not need features like loadable brushes and others. if you need these, it’s 1.99 single payment), Procreate (14.99 single payment).

Or if she wants to create vector and pixel -based designs: Linearity Curve (I think it is now subscription based, but there is a free tier in which you can use it after registration with a limit on the number of documents you can work on(?)), Amadine (9.99/year; depending on the age of your daughter as well as her school/college/uni - she might can use it under their free educational license), Affinity Designer (19.99 single payment).

Procreate is arguably the first choice for pixel-based things (Sketchbook gives it a run for its money though). For mixed pixel/vector designs Affinity Designer has you covered. Both are a single investment. Otherwise Adobe offers a lot with their monthly subscription.

EDIT: corrected Sketchbook link.

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If this about painting/drawing: AutoDesk Sketchbook (which is free, if you do not need features like loadable brushes and others. if you need these, it’s 1.99 single payment), Procreate (14.99 single payment).

Or if she wants to create vector and pixel -based designs: Linearity Curve (I think it is now subscription based, but there is a free tier in which you can use it after registration with a limit on the number of documents you can work on(?)), Amadine (9.99/year; depending on the age of your daughter as well as her school/college/uni - she might can use it under their free educational license), Affinity Designer (19.99 single payment).

Procreate is arguably the first choice for pixel-based things (Sketchbook gives it a run for its money though). For mixed pixel/vector designs Affinity Designer has you covered. Both are a single investment. Otherwise Adobe offers a lot with their monthly subscription.
FYI that link to Sketchbook actually goes to Linearity Move Animation Maker. Did the app get renamed or was that a mistake? It is not shown as published by Autodesk, either.

Is this the Sketchbook you meant?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
FYI that link to Sketchbook actually goes to Linearity Move Animation Maker. Did the app get renamed or was that a mistake? It is not shown as published by Autodesk, either.

Is this the Sketchbook you meant?
Sorry. Indeed my mistake. And indeed you link correctly to Sketchbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.