Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Despite my better judgement in bringing this up here, there are quick and easy solutions for the "Midnight fingerprint issue" for those of you concerned about such things, and can follow instructions and take responsibility for your actions.

And, there is also an easy solution for those of you worried about (inevitable) wear on the ports. I have mentioned these in other threads but hope this will be helpful to those who haven't seen them.

Preface: I have over 30 years experience designing and developing consumer and industrial goods including items with anodized finishes, and am a global consultant to several well known companies (not Apple, if you are wondering) in the areas of product design, manufacturing, and related areas. If you are involved in certain sports or recreational activities, you very likely use something I have worked on. But this advice is given at your own risk. You do not have to trust me.

Disclaimers: Use common sense. I won't be responsible for stupidity like gobs of wax stuck in your keyboard or a corroded connector because you can't follow a simple instruction set.

Don't even think about trying this if you are some psycho, OCD individual, stupid, or can't follow instructions. Stop reading this now and go do something else. Go watch a Japanese YouTube cat-playing-with-cardboard-box video or something.

With that out of the way...

1. Fingerprints

Some finishes, like the partially-sealed, semi-matte finish of the Midnight MBA, will always easily show fingerprints through their combination of high surface energy, morphology and color. If you clean these surfaces with any sort of oil-removing cleaner, or even water, the surface is 'activated' and will be even easier to mark up with fingerprints and dirt.

The solution is to reduce the surface energy. Same principle as in the oleophobic finishes applied to phone screens.

One easy, consumer-accessible answer is a light coating of a oleophobic polish, like Plexus, or orange Pledge, or for a longer lasting solution, a nano-wax, such as Renaissance Wax. This provides a protective coating which is safe on anodized surfaces. Usually.

Renaissance Wax is used by some museums to preserve artifacts and protect from handling and oxidation, and is also very popular among some gun owners concerned about the corrosive effects of fingerprints on blued steel surfaces.

In my case, I simply put a very thin coat of Renaissance Wax on the metal surfaces (not the screen) of my new M2 Midnight MBA with a soft microfiber cloth, and then immediately lightly polished the surface. Then, I repeated the procedure one time. Do not let it dry out before you polish. Do a small area on the bottom first to see if you can live with the result.

This results in a thin coating which has no negative impact on the appearance of the device, but creates a low-energy surface (which is especially nice on the trackpad due to reduced stiction) and, most importantly, dramatically decreases both the adhesion and the appearance of fingerprints, reduces dust adhesion, and repels dirt. It makes it extremely easy to clean, and significantly cuts down on the appearance of the fingerprints in the first place.

It also seals and protects areas like the wrist rests from acidic sweat or other contaminants that will certainly show wear over time if left in the as-manufactured state.

No need to go nuts on the quantity of wax per application, as a little bit goes a very long way. And if in the unlikely event you're unhappy with the result, you can remove it with a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a very slightly damp microfiber cloth.

(Usual disclaimers apply here- I won't be responsible for stupidity like gobs of wax stuck in your keyboard, or turning your MacBook into a flambé, because you can't follow a simple instruction set.)

2. Port wear

Inevitably, over the next few weeks many people- even non-ham-handed ones- will scratch or ding the edges of the USB-C ports on the Midnight MBA, or even parts of the case. Much shrieking and moaning will be heard throughout the land and there will be innumerable threads about it on MR.

USB-C connectors can range from well-radiused (as they ought to be) at their leading edges, to positively sharp (looking at you, little Samsung 256 GB USB-C 3.1 memory stick).

Now, even a hard-coat anodize is prone to damage on a sharp corner, and the ports have sharp corners- they aren't chamfered or radiused, and this is a relatively soft type 2 anodize, so they will get dinged. It is inevitable. (They perhaps should have put in collared connectors, like on the phones, or broken those edges, but I digress).

Since you can't re-anodize the case, and a black Sharpie will look like total crap, what can you do about it?

You can use one of these. CAREFULLY. These are poisonous. They will destroy your computer if you are stupid. They will kill or maim you or something you care about if you are stupid. Don't be stupid.

This will chemically convert the silver ding to a blue-black, without damaging the surrounding anodize finish. In the case of a port, you do not want to aggressively push the tip of the applicator into the port- this is an acidic formula and you don't want to get it into the connector- but properly applied, with a light touch, it will blacken any silver marks and provide a long-lasting solution.

/end

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Now, even a hard-coat anodize is prone to damage on a sharp corner, and the ports have sharp corners- they aren't chamfered or radiused, and this is a relatively soft type 2 anodize, so they will get dinged. It is inevitable. (They perhaps should have put in collared connectors, like on the phones, or broken those edges, but I digress).

Since you can't re-anodize the case, and a black Sharpie will look like total crap, what can you do about it?

You can use one of these. CAREFULLY. These are poisonous. They will destroy your computer if you are stupid. They will kill or maim you or something you care about if you are stupid. Don't be stupid.

This will chemically convert the silver ding to a blue-black, without damaging the surrounding anodize finish. In the case of a port, you do not want to aggressively push the tip of the applicator into the port- this is an acidic formula and you don't want to get it into the connector- but properly applied, with a light touch, it will blacken any silver marks and provide a long-lasting solution.

/end
I've recently acquired an iMac Pro (Space Gray) that had some rubbing on the corners of the case and stand. Would this work for that or is there a product that would be better suited to that?

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
Careful now, you're talking to semi-conscious consumers here, indoctrinated to toss it in the landfill and buy new. If you give them something that requires competence, dexterity and concentration, you're asking for trouble. They will automatically buy the products you recommend then proceed to misuse them, damage the device, injure themselves and blame you. Better to let them file their class actions against Apple, it's what they do best.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Careful now, you're talking to semi-conscious consumers here, indoctrinated to toss it in the landfill and buy new. If you give them something that requires competence, dexterity and concentration, you're asking for trouble. They will automatically buy the products you recommend then proceed to misuse them, damage the device, injure themselves and blame you. Better to let them file their class actions against Apple, it's what they do best.

Hence my copious disclaimers, however, your point is well made. I very nearly didn't bother to post it at all, but if it assists one single person, it is perhaps worth the effort.

I've recently acquired an iMac Pro (Space Gray) that had some rubbing on the corners of the case and stand. Would this work for that or is there a product that would be better suited to that?
Hard to say. The acid pen works best on warm and very clean surfaces. That means you could get the desired effect if you apply very sparingly to a cool surface, and wipe off immediately. Repeat as needed until the desired shade is achieved. However, on some alloys, it will go straight to black at the first touch.

Reactions: jmonster

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I appreciated your explanation, did not know it was a matter of surface charge that was the culprit. Makes sense. For the most part I don't expect my devices to always look pretty so I just live with the patina of my fingerprints on the midnight blue. Makes it unique.

Reactions: canuckRus

Bobcat32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2020
Ohio
Much shrieking and moaning will be heard throughout the land. Omg this guy!!!! I can’t stop like wtf hahahahaha Someone’s got a keeper on their hands :D Otherwise this article made me wet with its detail and knowledge. Great instructions dude thank you so much

Reactions: jmoore5196

SteveGary

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
Despite my better judgement in bringing this up here, there are quick and easy solutions for the "Midnight fingerprint issue" for those of you concerned about such things, and can follow instructions and take responsibility for your actions.

And, there is also an easy solution for those of you worried about (inevitable) wear on the ports. I have mentioned these in other threads but hope this will be helpful to those who haven't seen them.

Preface: I have over 30 years experience designing and developing consumer and industrial goods including items with anodized finishes, and am a global consultant to several well known companies (not Apple, if you are wondering) in the areas of product design, manufacturing, and related areas. If you are involved in certain sports or recreational activities, you very likely use something I have worked on. But this advice is given at your own risk. You do not have to trust me.

Disclaimers: Use common sense. I won't be responsible for stupidity like gobs of wax stuck in your keyboard or a corroded connector because you can't follow a simple instruction set.

Don't even think about trying this if you are some psycho, OCD individual, stupid, or can't follow instructions. Stop reading this now and go do something else. Go watch a Japanese YouTube cat-playing-with-cardboard-box video or something.

1. Fingerprints

Some finishes, like the partially-sealed, semi-matte finish of the Midnight MBA, will always easily show fingerprints through their combination of high surface energy, morphology and color. If you clean these surfaces with any sort of oil-removing cleaner, or even water, the surface is 'activated' and will be even easier to mark up with fingerprints and dirt.

The solution is to reduce the surface energy. Same principle as in the oleophobic finishes applied to phone screens.

One easy, consumer-accessible answer is a light coating of a oleophobic polish, like Plexus, or orange Pledge, or for a longer lasting solution, a nano-wax, such as Renaissance Wax. This provides a protective coating which is safe on anodized surfaces. Usually.

Renaissance Wax is used by some museums to preserve artifacts and protect from handling and oxidation, and is also very popular among some gun owners concerned about the corrosive effects of fingerprints on blued steel surfaces.

In my case, I simply put a very thin coat of Renaissance Wax on the metal surfaces (not the screen) of my new M2 Midnight MBA with a soft microfiber cloth, and then immediately lightly polished the surface. Then, I repeated the procedure one time. Do not let it dry out before you polish. Do a small area on the bottom first to see if you can live with the result.

This results in a thin coating which has no negative impact on the appearance of the device, but creates a low-energy surface (which is especially nice on the trackpad due to reduced stiction) and, most importantly, dramatically decreases both the adhesion and the appearance of fingerprints, reduces dust adhesion, and repels dirt. It makes it extremely easy to clean, and significantly cuts down on the appearance of the fingerprints in the first place.

It also seals and protects areas like the wrist rests from acidic sweat or other contaminants that will certainly show wear over time if left in the as-manufactured state.

No need to go nuts on the quantity of wax per application, as a little bit goes a very long way. And if in the unlikely event you're unhappy with the result, you can remove it with a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a very slightly damp microfiber cloth.

(Usual disclaimers apply here- I won't be responsible for stupidity like gobs of wax stuck in your keyboard, or turning your MacBook into a flambé, because you can't follow a simple instruction set.)

2. Port wear

Inevitably, over the next few weeks many people- even non-ham-handed ones- will scratch or ding the edges of the USB-C ports on the Midnight MBA, or even parts of the case. Much shrieking and moaning will be heard throughout the land and there will be innumerable threads about it on MR.

USB-C connectors can range from well-radiused (as they ought to be) at their leading edges, to positively sharp (looking at you, little Samsung 256 GB USB-C 3.1 memory stick).

/end
Hello! First, thank you for your suggestions! I have a Midnight MBA and I found this pretty useful. I bought a microfiber cloth and the Renaissance Wax; do you mind explaining how you polish after you apply it? Do you use the same cloth in circular motions or do you use something different?

Thank you again!

AIabacus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I just used the Birchwood Casey Pen today for a ding on the front of my M2 midnight; it was about the size of a pinhead, silver, very visible. The pen worked pretty well! I did two applications according to the instructions.

From straight on the scratch is practically invisible now, from an angle you can still see it but it does look better than before -- depends on how the light hits it. Color matching is solid, a little darker than before and more like the black apple logo than the midnight.

I think that if you just have silver scratches around ports, it would work even better. Most of the lasting visibility for me isn't from color, but indentation. But I'm definitely happy with how it turned out, I was thinking about getting a shell if it didn't work and will not be doing that now.

I didn't include pics because they didn't come out very accurate to what it looks like in person.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My hack is I always have a few on hand to send to Apple to get the casing replaced while having one to use.

Thierri

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2024

1. Fingerprints

2. Port wear

/end
I just joined this forum to thank you. I have been searching all sorts of ideas to deter fingerprints and just tried yours. It works incredibly well. I keep looking at it because so often solutions promise results and don't deliver. Thanks very very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.