Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone do this say with a Synology or Qnap? Surely the performance doesn't make it possible?
Are there workarounds for using a sync folder locally?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Of course, you can, given the needed transfer speed. But seeing that you haven't given any information whatsoever about the system you have or intend to use, no one could possibly say for sure.

And then there are solutions such as https://hedge.video/postlab assuming this is for collaboration reasons. But again… you don't say.

Reactions: TwoBytes

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
2023 Macbook Air 15" M2
Premiere Pro
Editing 4k projects with around 2-4 streams
No collaborators.

I guess looking at how slow read access for just previewing files in finder from a Synology wirelessly, it's a no-go?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive done this in the past, although via 10GB Ethernet from NAS all the way to local machine - worked fine for me with a basic edit/project. Personally I wouldn't rely on it for multicam projects - not that it couldn't do it, just for piece of mind while edting!

When it comes to wireless access - no way.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
No way wirelessly even for 1 stream. But we also need to know what codec you are wanting.

I think even 10gbit Ethernet would struggle with 4 10 bit pro res streams.

Probably need FibreChannel if you plan on using ProRes.

Reactions: Ifti and TwoBytes

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
I guess looking at how slow read access for just previewing files in finder from a Synology wirelessly, it's a no-go?

Well, aside from maybe Avid, Premiere is the slowest NLE there is either way. And since I still don't know which format / codec your clips are in nor what read/write speeds your NAS has, how it is connected, or even which NAS we're talking about, there's no way to even begin to guess at how likely or feasible it is with whatever it is.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I use Premiere and I find it funny that in the last few updates they have said they've sped up timeline functions by 15x. Ok what the hell have all y'all been doing the last 5 years... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: R S K
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.