Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017

I posed a question about DELETE & MOVE about a year ago - I still have to fully fathom how to properlly do that.

now I have a related question: is there anything that lets me ADD & MOVE - in other words to add something to one track, and then have everything, all tracks, the whole works, scootch over to the right?

I would like to know if this is possible in either GARAGE or LOGIC.

thanks for feedback, as always.

w

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
yes, I am trying to to think of the best way to express it.

More background: I am working on a radio show, so there are talk tracks, plus songs. Usually I keep my spoken portions on track one, and tracks two and three are the music tracks, MP3s & AACs etc.

Am attaching two screen shots.

as you can see, in the first, I have:
three talk spots in track one
three songs in track two
four songs in track three
(let's ignore track four for now)

then I use MOVE AND DELETE to remove the first of the three talk breaks in track one
as expected, the talk break is gone, and everything has moved over to the left, in other words, moved forward in the program.
but the other two tracks are exactly the same, they have not been affected.

I understand that if I were to select and highlight everything going forward, then everything on all three tracks would move to the left.

But I am seeking a faster way of doing that ... I would have to select and highlight about 70 items - which would take a while! Each episode of this radio show includes about 60 songs and maybe 20 talk breaks.

AND - I guess this should be a separate question, I also need to figure out to ADD AND MOVE (in addition to MOVE AND DELETE)

I hope the question is more clear this time. I am working on it!

thanks again for the feedback, yes!

W
GARAGEBAND Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.25.02 PM.png
GARAGEBAND Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.28.44 PM.png

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you want to delete 'dead air' at the same position on all the tracks why don't you just bounce it out as a flat stereo file ad just edit the final file?

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
you mean export it all to, say, a WAV file, and then edit that? that could work.

But see, I would like to be able to switch out songs, take something out, put something in, songs and announcement tracks. And then still have certain songs fading out while others are coming in, a little music under the announcement tracks - all the stuff that we do in GARAGEBAND.

is there any way to DELETE AND MOVE something on multiple tracks at once? I imagine that it's even trickier if there's just empty space on two out of the three tracks.

And is it any more possible to do any of this in LOGIC if not in GARAGEBAND?

thanks as always for the feedback!

w

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.