Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I've not really edited any home movies in years but want to condense down all the multiple clips I have through the years and get them edited into more of a movie.

I was thinking of doing this by year so each year would have a video review of each year. Then if we had a big vacation I'd maybe do a dedicated edit for that.

Just after advice on how long do you think is a good length for a home movie before people start getting bored? Also do you guys use music on yours? I've just had a practice with one which is good but then you keep having to lower it when the kids say something cute or funny etc.

What do you export the home movies? 1080p or 4k? Obviously the older stuff is just 1080p but recent 4K would you bother doing it or would you just stick to 1080P?

Any other tips?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I haven't really made a "home movie" myself in a really long time, but I can help you out nonetheless (especially since I've watched a ton of really awful ones...)

First off, what software are you using? I think that has a big impact on how good your video is going to look in the end. iMovie has fewer customization tools compared to, say, DaVinci Resolve of FCP.

Personally, I'd get really bored if a single video went beyond about 15 minutes. I think you could easily do a "looking back on the year XXXX" video that lasts 15 minutes max. Just choose your clips wisely—ones that you (and some other people) really like.

Ok, for the music part? I've seen so many "home movies" where the music is so loud it felt like my ear drums were getting ruptured. So just as long as you have a really good balance between the music and the dialogue/camera audio, you're good to go!

1080p is probably fine for this kinda thing. Other people will say different, but even editing projects I've done for clients only get exported in 1080p (unless they specifically want 4K). I don't think there's anything wrong with 1080p.

Reactions: JamesMay82

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I haven't really made a "home movie" myself in a really long time, but I can help you out nonetheless (especially since I've watched a ton of really awful ones...)

First off, what software are you using? I think that has a big impact on how good your video is going to look in the end. iMovie has fewer customization tools compared to, say, DaVinci Resolve of FCP.

Personally, I'd get really bored if a single video went beyond about 15 minutes. I think you could easily do a "looking back on the year XXXX" video that lasts 15 minutes max. Just choose your clips wisely—ones that you (and some other people) really like.

Ok, for the music part? I've seen so many "home movies" where the music is so loud it felt like my ear drums were getting ruptured. So just as long as you have a really good balance between the music and the dialogue/camera audio, you're good to go!

1080p is probably fine for this kinda thing. Other people will say different, but even editing projects I've done for clients only get exported in 1080p (unless they specifically want 4K). I don't think there's anything wrong with 1080p.
Thanks. Yeah I’d agree with 15 mins but can be tough to cut things out, especially when it’s stuff with the kids etc

I’m using Final Cut by the way.

Reactions: rm5

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a quick question that maybe some of you can answer. What’s the best way to do the following, on an iPad?

Basically on a video or screen-recording, what I want is to freeze portions of the video (which I don’t want to be shown) while letting the audio run in real time. Is this possible? What’s the best software to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.