Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I've had iPPs with both 8GB and 16GB RAM and Safari reloads tabs at the same annoying frequency on both. In my opinion it's a software issue, not a RAM limitation. So don't spend $600 or whatever in hopes it stops Safari issues.
Isn't iPadOS built so that single apps can't grab all the RAM anyway? IOW, if you heavily multitask having more RAM helps, but if you're just running Safari, going to 16 GB from 8 GB won't help you much.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Isn't iPadOS built so that single apps can't grab all the RAM anyway? IOW, if you heavily multitask having more RAM helps, but if you're just running Safari, going to 16 GB from 8 GB won't help you much.
Ive seen videos in past where the 8 seems to run pretty much equal with 16 trying lots different scenarios multi apps running, large files rendering, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: Langar

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I don't see the need for 16gb with this OS. Maybe games, but I don't know about that. I'll save some money.

There's the future proofing angle, but I don't see anything in the near future. Wish I did.

• Sad
Reactions: Langar and Wags

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I don't see the need for 16gb with this OS. Maybe games, but I don't know about that. I'll save some money.

There's the future proofing angle, but I don't see anything in the near future. Wish I did.
Unless someone can really utilize the extra ram, I think best to just to save the extra cost and just upgrade sooner instead of trying to future proof.

• Sad

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
thats a fair question to ask! I kept my iPad 2018 for 5 years, and I just want to make sure I can keep this one for at least that long too i think. Do you think its not worth it?

I’d like OLED, but as someone who doesn’t need a Pro, I can’t justify the money unless it has the extra RAM to future proof for that long. The 2022 Air has the same RAM as a 2024 256 Pro.

I’m going to have to wait for it to filter down I think.

Reactions: gusping

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
£600 extra to get 750GB more storage and an additional 8GB RAM. That will cost Apple under £70-80, easily. You just have to laugh at this point.
The storage cost them probably a fiver. The RAM maybe 15 quid tops. The extra core? Let's be generous and call that a tenner, otherwise they would have to dump their chips where one core didn't work. £30-----> £600. A 2,000% markup. Thanks Apple 😬

It is laughable. If someone simply wanted a 1TB upgrade on storage and didn't care about the RAM and extra performance core, they'd be stuck with a 12,000% up charge. 👏🏼

Reactions: Wags and gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Yet Safari still sucks on iPad OS with memory management. It all comes down to software, which is just poor for anything more than casual use imo.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's not your OS that's the issue. It's all the damn bloated javascript and adware the websites load.
That's your assumption with no proof (by the way I block any ads). Nobody has hard numbers since there is no first party resource monitor (and thrid party ones are useless and inconsistent, I have tried half a dozen of them). Anyway, I don't care what the reason is, it happens less with 4GB, but still way too often, much less with 6 and even less with 8, so RAM is pretty useful for that.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, iPadOS uses about 4 times less memory than macOS and the apps go into save state and release themselves from memory when they are not in foreground view.
I wasn't talking about that. My understanding was that iOS / iPadOS implemented a maximum per app memory allocation.

For example, back in the day, it was noticed that ProCreate was limited to x number of layers, regardless if it was on a 4 GB iPad Pro or an 6 GB iPad Pro. Supposedly it was because iOS limited the amount of memory that could be allocated to single individual apps. But then Apple raised the limit later, allowing ProCreate to increase the number of layers supported on the 6 GB model.

However, that was many years ago. I don't know how it works these days, but I would assume iPadOS still doesn't allow Safari to allocate all/most of that 16 GB to itself. I'm guessing that's why people wouldn't see much of a difference in tab reloads between 8 GB and 16 GB iPad Pros when using Safari, but both would be a big improvement over a 3 GB iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
‘Was just kidding with Android! Would not wish that on anyone. They go my money, too! Near $2500 worth!

Apple got my money don't worry. And it won't affect my use as I doubt I will notice that missing performance core just casually browsing, etc.

But its not something I am liking with Apple Silicon and the further gimping with the M3/M4 generation( M3 Pro.....).
Apple has ZERO reason to do anything different when customers plunk down a truckload of cash after a few minutes of complaining online about Apple's behavior.

In the end, Apple doesn't care whether you like what they're doing or not, as long as after all is said and done... you've given your money to them. 😁

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
Apple just nerfed the M4 to 3 Performance Cores. When they said 50% CPU increase over the M2 they were using the 10 Core M4 Variant said the small text disclaimers the 9 Core M4 is even with the M2 that’s whey they didn’t show Graphs.
Do you mean that the loss of 25% of P cores and none of E cores leads to a 33% performance loss ?

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I got the base 13” Pro with 8 Gigs of RAM which should be fine for my use case- the only thing that makes me hesitate a bit is WWDC next month. I’m a little nervous they’re going to announce AI specific feature as that only work with models with the higher RAM amounts. It sounds like a lot of AI related tasks are pretty RAM intensive. Not too worried about it, but just something that i’ve been thinking about…

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
With the 512 GB you are getting 4 GB SDRAM (x2) and 256 GB NAND Flash Memory (x2). The move to 1 TB doubles the sizes of four different components: 8 GB x2 and 512 GB x2. You also get a better binned processor without a disabled performance core. Just a matter of if that performance is worth a $400 premium to you over the 512 GB. 1 TB storage feels like a waste for my needs, but I wanted the rest, so I bit the bullet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't know how it works these days, but I would assume iPadOS still doesn't allow Safari to allocate all/most of that 16 GB to itself. I'm guessing that's why people wouldn't see much of a difference in tab reloads between 8 GB and 16 GB iPad Pros when using Safari, but both would be a big improvement over a 3 GB iPad.

They do seem to allow it though. Otherwise, free RAM on my 1TB M1 iPP wouldn't be sitting at 1-3GB when Safari's the only memory hog I use.

It seems like Apple used to implement a per tab memory limit in Safari but I think they might have lifted or increased those limits, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.