Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I've just moved on to an Apple system, with an iPhone and a MacBook. I use both for email. My mailboxes have become a mess quite quickly. Is there a smooth way to coordinate mailboxes on the iPhone and MacBook? I'm finding the Rules instruction on the web iCloud page to be rather clunky, and difficult to use while actually using email. Thanks

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
For rules sorting messages into folders, I always use them on the server. For the reason you want - all my devices should get the emails sorted into the same folders.

Having said that, iCloud server rules are very clunky (limited complexity). Gmail server side rules are much more capable, though cumbersome to configure.

I don't think there is a good answer for iCloud mail, except to make do with what Apple provides in the way of server rules.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
For rules sorting messages into folders, I always use them on the server. For the reason you want - all my devices should get the emails sorted into the same folders.

Having said that, iCloud server rules are very clunky (limited complexity). Gmail server side rules are much more capable, though cumbersome to configure.

I don't think there is a good answer for iCloud mail, except to make do with what Apple provides in the way of server rules.
OK, thanks. I appreciate the help. So there is no better strategy than to use the clunky procedures that iCloud provides? What if I changed my client to, say, Outlook?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What if I changed my client to, say, Outlook?
Outlook client certainly has better rules than Apple Mail client. But for multiple computers I would be concerned about which client was applying the rules (presumably an always on computer) and how that would work out on the others.

I don't think there is an easy answer. I'm just glad that most of my email comes via gmail and server rules are good enough for me.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What @gilby101 said. The "best" solution is to setup rules service side, when available. Gmail, Yahoo!, Outlook all have this capability.

The iCloud rules only apply to iCloud accounts ala Gmail.

MacOS Mail rules only apply to Macs (but can be shared between different Macs via iCloud synching).

Mail rules (for all macOS devices)

So, yeah, depending on when/where you fetch new mail, will/can result in messages going all over the place if not using server-side rules.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.