Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hi. I have searched Google about this and still unclear. I will be getting new iPhone in September (I know posting early but prefer have info ready long before September). At moment I have iPhone 12 mini and I use normal SIM (no e-SIM). I always have used encrypted backup from iTunes and now from Finder ever since that was option. I know Quick Transfer been around for while but never used it. I don't know how it compares to encrypted backup from Mac. I want all my password, data and settings be transferred over without issues, I never use iCloud backup mainly cos our router here sometimes randomly goes off and I don't want risk it happening middle of restoring from iCloud backup. Plus encrypted backup is better than iCloud (last time I checked) since it transfer passwords and settings etc over.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If somebody devious got into your Mac, an unencrypted iPhone backup can be read, while an encrypted backup is unreadable.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Quick Transfer transfers logins and all that stuff, if you've got an Apple Watch it would also move that over for you too. Go with Quick Transfer.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
If somebody devious got into your Mac, an unencrypted iPhone backup can be read, while an encrypted backup is unreadable.
I don't think that only thing. Unencrypted backup do not have passwords, login or any sensitive data saved and encrypted backup does that why I used it in past.

Reactions: kitKAC

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Quick Transfer transfers logins and all that stuff, if you've got an Apple Watch it would also move that over for you too. Go with Quick Transfer.
I do have Apple Watch too. Sounds like Quick Transfer is like Encrypted backup, just different way.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Quick transfer transfers more things your local encrypted backup do, such as the state of your safari browser, apps AND their data, and more. Once the transfer is done, your new phone is ready to go.

Ever since apple stops including iOS apps into part of the backup, iCloud backup has gone quite better than local backup since it backs up stuff generated across multiple accounts. Still weaker than quick transfer tho.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Quick transfer transfers more things your local encrypted backup do, such as the state of your safari browser, apps AND their data, and more. Once the transfer is done, your new phone is ready to go.

Ever since apple stops including iOS apps into part of the backup, iCloud backup has gone quite better than local backup since it backs up stuff generated across multiple accounts. Still weaker than quick transfer tho.
Ah I see, I didn't know it can do more than encrypted backup. Sounds like I need to use Quick Transfer next time in September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.