Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
Hi,

after all those years I'm taking pictures with my old Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom, I'd like to buy some entry level DSLR. What brand would you recommend? Canon? Nikon? Sony?

I really like the new Canon EOS 500D but it's a bit pricey for me and it definitely is above the entry level.

Also there is the lowest DSLR from Canon - EOS 1000D, which I suppose would be enough for a beginner, wouldn't it?

Or do you trust one of those sexy Sony beasts more?

Nikon, anyone?

Please tell me your opinion.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I have a Canon 20D. It's a few years old now but I still love it.

Canon is definitely the winner in image quality, but from what I hear, Nikon's have better ergonomics (how the camera fits in the hand), which is a good thing too.

I would avoid Sony, they charge more and you get less (But unlike Apple, you don't get awesome design and seamless integration with other products of the same brand :D)

These people have good camera reviews, read what they have to say and form your own opinion.

This is the fanboy side of me speaking, but every Olympus pocketcam and SLR camera I have ever used has been GARBAGE. The resulting images always have this weird rainbow effect you get with some cheap DLP projectors. Garbage.

I would find a nice Canon Rebel and have fun.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Brand really doesn't matter - it's all about what feels best in your hand and what is easier to work with.

That said, Canon and Nikon have the biggest selection of lenses and other accessories.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Nobody makes a bad DSLR. I use nikon, but canon would be fine as would any of the other brands. If I was buying now I'd be tempted by Pentax as they tend to have good cameras with good prices, and you can use old lenses (as I can on the Nikon of course, but you can only do this with the more expensive Nikons)

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
Thank you all for your advices.

As I said - Canon 500D (I believe it is called Rebel T1i in the US) would be perfect but it's little pricey for me.

Also, I'm not sure whether to buy one of the lowest Nikon/Canon models (Nikon D60 or Canon 1000D) + good quality lens (my colleague said Tamrons are pretty good) OR to buy something like Canon 500D or Nikon D5000 with their default 18-55 lens. Or should I buy Nikon D60 or Canon 1000D in package with 2 "default" lenses (for example 18-55 and 55-200)?

Which of these choices is better for the DSLR beginner?

Of course it would be great to buy Canon 500D and some kick-ass lens but I just can't afford it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have a Canon 20D. It's a few years old now but I still love it.

Canon is definitely the winner in image quality, but from what I hear, Nikon's have better ergonomics (how the camera fits in the hand), which is a good thing too.

I would avoid Sony, they charge more and you get less (But unlike Apple, you don't get awesome design and seamless integration with other products of the same brand :D)

These people have good camera reviews, read what they have to say and form your own opinion.

This is the fanboy side of me speaking, but every Olympus pocketcam and SLR camera I have ever used has been GARBAGE. The resulting images always have this weird rainbow effect you get with some cheap DLP projectors. Garbage.

I would find a nice Canon Rebel and have fun.

Disagree on the Olympus - great cameras. Almost as good as the 20D....

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Get the Canon 500D with the video.
Seems like that's the new trend.
Remember your gonna use this for many years and want the best that you can get now.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Get the Canon 500D with the video.
Seems like that's the new trend.
Remember your gonna use this for many years and want the best that you can get now.

I am going to have to highly disagree with you there. The video on the 500D is just a marketing gimmick (I used it and its pretty bad, plus sound is even worse) so it would be better to save $$ and go with the 450D. And it's better to invest in lenses than a body; good lenses last you many, many years (decades?) but bodies come and go.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Ummm, what? There are quite a few people who would disagree with you there.

Like who? All Canon's take amazing images.

Rebel T1i

I think this is the one you should go for. A 50D might be better, but the Rebel is definitely more affordable.

Disagree on the Olympus - great cameras. Almost as good as the 20D....

Keyword being "almost"?

I've used an FE-280, an FE-320, and a couple eVolts, and they all get this rainbow effect on darker colors.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004

Which is just hogwash. At least here in the UK the Sony bottom of the range dSLR (A200), is about the cheapest you can get. It also has in body stabilisation.

Obviously you need to change your story to 'Sony's are cheap rubbish' :)

The OP should just get a Canon, just like everyone else does. Everyone gets one, they must be good...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Which is just hogwash. At least here in the UK the Sony bottom of the range dSLR (A200), is about the cheapest you can get. It also has in body stabilisation.

The OP should just get a Canon, just like everyone else does. Everyone gets one, they must be good...

Agree with you in that Sony's products are good. Which memory cards are compatible with the Sony you are referring to? One of the problems with Sony's older cameras was that one could only use a Sony memory card (something like that). Perhaps that's not longer the case?

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Sony dSLR's use Compact Flash some (the A700 for example), also have a slot for their nasty Memory Sticks. Which is kinda useful, in that I have a 4GB CF and a 4GB MS in mine, the MS is a useful backup, which just means I'm not going to run out of space while I'm out....

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

Yes. I think that poster was trying to get as much misleading nonsense as he could into one post.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
People need to start doing searches. This question is coming up every freaking week.

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
People need to start doing searches. This question is coming up every freaking week.

I know it's lame to ask about the same thing over and over again but as you can see, it's not easy to make a universal answer. And, unfortunately, these topics usually become arguing, which nobody wants to read.

For example, nobody has answered my question whether it's better to buy Canon 500D (Rebel T1i) or Nikon D5000 with default 18-55 lens OR just a body of Canon 1000D/Nikon D60 + quality lens.

Are the 18-55 lenses shipped with Canon 500D/Nikon D5000 good enough for me as a beginner? Or would you recommend a better lens + cheaper camera, so the price would be the same as in the previous case?

Or should I just buy Nikon D60 with 18-55 AF-S DX VR lens, stick with it for some time and then buy better lenses? This one sounds best to me. And of course I would save some bucks. :D

And please stop arguing. Everybody has his/her own favourite brand, so please just write your opinion and respect other's.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
For example, nobody has answered my question whether it's better to buy Canon 500D (Rebel T1i) or Nikon D5000 with default 18-55 lens OR just a body of Canon 1000D/Nikon D60 + quality lens.

Well it depends, most photographers will say quality lens is better but if the person don't know how to use it, den no point. If it's me, I would recommend 1000D w/ kit lens + 50mm f/1.8. I don't like the current 500D pricepoint cause to me, I can get a 40D at that price :rolleyes:

Are the 18-55 lenses shipped with Canon 500D/Nikon D5000 good enough for me as a beginner? Or would you recommend a better lens + cheaper camera, so the price would be the same as in the previous case?
Canon latest 18-55 is actually kinda good, just avoid shooting at 55 most of the time cause that seem to be the weakest point of the lens, Nikkor kit lens is good and perhaps better then Canon, but take note that this is kit lens we are talking about, a 50 f/1.8 prime or some higher end zoom lens will beat the crap out of it.

Or should I just buy Nikon D60 with 18-55 AF-S DX VR lens, stick with it for some time and then buy better lenses? This one sounds best to me. And of course I would save some bucks.
Yup, I would go for this option too, actually to me its fine to go with either Canon or Nikon both has many years of experience in this business and the most important factor that I believe many beginners must get into their head is that they must love their camera and brand. You won't wear clothes that you don't like rite? Same as camera, you won't bring it around everywhere if you don't like the brand.

And please stop arguing. Everybody has his/her own favourite brand, so please just write your opinion and respect other's.
Excuse us :D, just the recent spark of which DSLR to buy posts finally got to our heads :p

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
Thank you, wheelhot, for your opinion. Are there any limitations at Nikon D60 I should know about? I mean....except the obvious ones. I sure know it's the amateur class. But should I know something (for example) about accessories and other equipment I could buy?

Oh I almost forgot....you are absolutely right about loving the brand. That's why I'm not thinking about Sony or Pentax anymore. But Canon or Nikon? Both looks fine to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.